Archived Topic

Now that Big 12 is finally put to bed...

by Y 4 Ever · 11/10/2011

Advertisement
Y
Y 4 Ever
Simple poll. Which do you prefer at this point in time - Big East or Indy. Assuming BSU and AFA in Big East with us.



Me? I'm leaning SLIGHTLY towards Big East, but ONLY because of late-season scheduling. Otherwise, I'm fine with Indy. Especially if our schedule shapes up like it appears to be in 2013.
A
a1247
Big East! AQ! With the team that is going to be taking the field over the next 2-4 years I really think BYU can get atleast 1 BCS game in the BEAST. Boise loses alot of there key players this year. So do Houston and SMU. There is no reason the Y cant win the BEAST. Going indi you have to be perfect. That isnt something that BYU has been able to do since 84 and I see no reason its going to happen in the next 4 years with the away games they have to play. In the BEAST you can lose and still get the rewards of playing in a BCS conference.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
A
ABYUFAN
I voted Big East, but with a HUGE caveat, we'd need to be able to broadcast all home games on either BYUtv or ESPN, and we'd need to replay all away conference games, AND we'd need some basketballs games between us and eastern partners...
G
Gunk
If Big East retains its AQ status, then I'm all in. In fact, being part of the wimpiest BCS conference sounds like an ingenious plan and surest way to get to a BCS bowl.
C
CougarClaw
it really depends on the deal we get.



I'm not willing to sell my soul and my Olympic sports to the BC$ gods unless it makes sense. here are what are probably the top issues:

**rebroadcast rights

**tier 2 and tier 3 rights for byutv which is going to be real interesting when the original deal was made exclusively for teams on the EAST coast. (see also big EAST conference which will never stop bothering me but leads me to my next point:)

**Can we PLEASE rename the thing if half is going to be made up of west-coast teams?

**How much less is the Big East payout vs. ESPN Indy deal (assuming we can' t have both and I'm pretty sure it will be less)

**Who else is in the West division?

**How does the new alignment affect our b-ball team

**What are the exit points should BEAST lose BCS status and/or gets so poached of teams for the SEC/ ACC/BIG 12 that it no longer is appetizing to stick around.

**lesser issue of bowl tie-ins along with location of the conference championship which as long as we don't play on someone's home court every year (who would do THAT?)... not a big deal to me.



I know you want to make a simple poll, but on an issue like this, simplicity is fleeting and in my eyes misleading.
Advertisement
Y
Y 4 Ever
CougarClaw wrote:
it really depends on the deal we get.



I'm not willing to sell my soul and my Olympic sports to the BC$ gods unless it makes sense. here are what are probably the top issues:

**rebroadcast rights

**tier 2 and tier 3 rights for byutv which is going to be real interesting when the original deal was made exclusively for teams on the EAST coast. (see also big EAST conference which will never stop bothering me but leads me to my next point:)

**Can we PLEASE rename the thing if half is going to be made up of west-coast teams?

**How much less is the Big East payout vs. ESPN Indy deal (assuming we can' t have both and I'm pretty sure it will be less)

**Who else is in the West division?

**How does the new alignment affect our b-ball team

**What are the exit points should BEAST lose BCS status and/or gets so poached of teams for the SEC/ ACC/BIG 12 that it no longer is appetizing to stick around.

**lesser issue of bowl tie-ins along with location of the conference championship which as long as we don't play on someone's home court every year (who would do THAT?)... not a big deal to me.



I know you want to make a simple poll, but on an issue like this, simplicity is fleeting and in my eyes misleading.


How about this: Assuming TH and the BOT will do what is in the best interest of BYU and its fans...Big East or Indy.
J
jonnylingo
the big east becomes a worse deal if the bcs really adopts the whole no auto bid thing and simply top 10 teams go in. at that point indpendence is better in my opinion. we just need a scheduling alliance with a conference for late season games. that could be with the new big east/west.
M
mormonrasta
jonnylingo wrote:
the big east becomes a worse deal if the bcs really adopts the whole no auto bid thing and simply top 10 teams go in.


The Pac-12 and Big 10+2 will never agree to that. The Rose Bowl is too important to them. They would still want the Rose Bowl if their conference champion finishes outside of the top 10 which could be more likely now that they both will have conference championship games.
C
Cougarbib
Beast West
P
pjmuli
Y 4 Ever wrote:
Simple poll. Which do you prefer at this point in time - Big East or Indy. Assuming BSU and AFA in Big East with us.



Me? I'm leaning SLIGHTLY towards Big East, but ONLY because of late-season scheduling. Otherwise, I'm fine with Indy. Especially if our schedule shapes up like it appears to be in 2013.


According to the report from Harmon and Jeff Call, I don't think the Big 12 is completely done. Sounds like Holmoe did not really say anything different than he said in October, just that there is some confusion and you don't go asking why you were not invited.
Advertisement
C
Cougarbib
pjmuli wrote:
Simple poll. Which do you prefer at this point in time - Big East or Indy. Assuming BSU and AFA in Big East with us.



Me? I'm leaning SLIGHTLY towards Big East, but ONLY because of late-season scheduling. Otherwise, I'm fine with Indy. Especially if our schedule shapes up like it appears to be in 2013.


According to the report from Harmon and Jeff Call, I don't think the Big 12 is completely done. Sounds like Holmoe did not really say anything different than he said in October, just that there is some confusion and you don't go asking why you were not invited.




I agree.

It ain't ever over till it's over even if the fat lady is walking towards the microphone.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
E
EM_Puma
Someone just call me when this is over. I'm tired of re-conferencing. So far there has been no positives that I've seen from it for BYU or college football.
L
Lawboy
Not trying to say I know anything--because I do not--but any statements that the Big XII is put to bed is not correct. The person over at CougarBoard who stated that Tom Holmoe sais we are not going to the Big XII took HUGE liberties with a statement made by TH. He basically said that we have had conversations, but that we have not been invited, and if we are not invited, we will not know the reasons why because we won't go ask them. TH never said we are not going. TH said we would be "fools to not explore" conference offers.



For details, go read the Harmon article on the matter.
J
jonnylingo
It is going to be another interesting off season.
C
Cougarbib
Lawboy wrote:
Not trying to say I know anything--because I do not--but any statements that the Big XII is put to bed is not correct. The person over at CougarBoard who stated that Tom Holmoe sais we are not going to the Big XII took HUGE liberties with a statement made by TH. He basically said that we have had conversations, but that we have not been invited, and if we are not invited, we will not know the reasons why because we won't go ask them. TH never said we are not going. TH said we would be "fools to not explore" conference offers.



For details, go read the Harmon article on the matter.


Or here to see that Neinas wants to stay at 10 as does Texas - but Okie wants 12 as do some others and perhaps Okie wants to be in the opposite division from Texas so they can meet in the Championship game almost ever year.



http://eye-on-collegefootball.blogs.cbssports.com/mcc/blogs/entry/24156338/33219479" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Advertisement
S
scott715
Why don't they take 6 ADs (USC, Texas, OSU, LSU, WVU and FSU) and do a draft for 6 conferences of 12 teams each. And redesign the conferences with what makes sense. Then let the tv networks do an auction for the tv contracts. Just start all over.
S
Schmoe
scott715 wrote:
Why don't they take 6 ADs (USC, Texas, OSU, LSU, WVU and FSU) and do a draft for 6 conferences of 12 teams each.


Because schools like Oklahoma, Alabama, Oregon, and Notre Dame would tell them to go to hell.
This is an archived topic from the original CougarCorner forum. New replies are not accepted.