Archived Topic

Why Not Field Turf?

by Wickchad · 11/10/2011

Advertisement
W
Wickchad
Question from Jay Drew to Bronco Mendenhall -
Why did they practice inside:



"I just don't like [the outdoor field]. At least in here, I know what we are going to get."


http://www.sltrib.com/sltrib/blogsbyusports/52888768-65/practice-byu-mendenhall-coach.html.csp



If the grass sucks, why don't we install field turf at LES? I know the players have said in the past that they enjoy playing at other stadiums with field turf. Why are we so committed to keeping real grass? I like the thought of playing on grass, but when you see the chunks of it being torn up each game I wonder if it is worth it...
L
Lawboy
The team does not practice at LES. They have a practice field that they use. Perhaps they could install turf there. But I hate turf. Less give equals more injuries.



If BYU ever abandons a grass field at LES, it will be a sad day.
A
ABYUFAN
Grass >>>>>> field turf
C
CougarClaw
I heard that Hawaii's turf was a big reason we had so many injuries in 2001 that destroyed a dream season.



Of course, those same stories also said we'd never go back there because it was so dangerous.
S
snoscythe
In high school, playing on turf was cool because you felt like it was big time and the grass fields at many high schools was like playing in a quartz quarry.



However, at the D-I level of college football, I would take their grass over turf 99 times out of 100. Even field turf with rubberized pellets has less give and is more prone to snag a cleat, and the rug burn and pellets in your eyes are a real pain. Grass might give on you unexpectedly, but you are less likely to get hurt.



Add in the advantages that grass is cooler in the heat, less cold in the cold, and provides a marginally higher oxygen level at the playing surface, and its just a no-brainer for me.
Advertisement
M
Mingjai
CougarClaw wrote:
I heard that Hawaii's turf was a big reason we had so many injuries in 2001 that destroyed a dream season.



Of course, those same stories also said we'd never go back there because it was so dangerous.


That's because Hawaii was still using 70s era Astroturf, which was basically carpet covered concrete. Artificial surfaces like field-turf tend to favor faster teams, so I think BYU would be better off sticking with their 3-inch long Kentucky bluegrass...
M
Mars
CougarClaw wrote:
I heard that Hawaii's turf was a big reason we had so many injuries in 2001 that destroyed a dream season.

Wasn't the injury that destroyed the 2001 season in Mississippi?
C
CougarClaw
That is when we lost staley.



But we lost Doman and Peterson at Hawaii, one of which was because peterson "hit his head on the turf" and I seem to remember other injuries as well, but losing Doman and Staley sealed the deal. I'm sure you could argue it was all Staley but Doman was a very good Qb that year.
S
SpiffCoug
Mars wrote:
I heard that Hawaii's turf was a big reason we had so many injuries in 2001 that destroyed a dream season.

Wasn't the injury that destroyed the 2001 season in Mississippi?

And on natural grass too.
T
trueblue72
Played on both, give me natural grass any day!



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
Advertisement
E
EM_Puma
I didn't take as much Bronco's statement as a rap on the practice field as far as grass or turf as that he was saying that when there is weather (which there is a 100% chance of)...it can't be controlled how it affects your surface. It's not like they wait until they're ready to practice to decide where they will practice, so playing inside gives them more control on what surface to expect. Outside it can vary by day.



Just my thoughts.
Y
Y 4 Ever
Football was meant to be played on Grass. It's part of the game. Only :utard: think otherwise!



Go Grass! Kick the $h!t out of turf!
A
a1247
Im the odd man out on this one. I would love to see field turf at LES. I love the look!



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
G
Gunk
EM_Puma wrote:
I didn't take as much Bronco's statement as a rap on the practice field as far as grass or turf as that he was saying that when there is weather (which there is a 100% chance of)...it can't be controlled how it affects your surface. It's not like they wait until they're ready to practice to decide where they will practice, so playing inside gives them more control on what surface to expect. Outside it can vary by day.



Just my thoughts.


That's what I took it to mean. It can't be particularly warm over there. The ground probably changes daily due to changing weather. At this time of the year, it's indoor.



As for playing on turf. Did anyone else see our guys slipping all over the place against TCU on that turf. Grass all the way.
Y
Y 4 Ever
These guys prefer Grass.



http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_dv4bJUeW5g4/TPMeAZas_TI/AAAAAAAAA9Y/ExLpiaXDSzU/s1600/Up-Smoke-Cheech-Chong_l.jpg" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
Advertisement
S
SpiffCoug
I'd be okay with a field turf in LES. Then we could paint the end zones white with blue BYU lettering, an actual blue zone (GL to 20 yard line) and then a white/green field between the 20s. It would be awesome.
B
BroncoBot
Worst. Idea. Ever. No offense to the OP, of course.





Long live the grass.
G
Guest
SpiffCoug wrote:
I'd be okay with a field turf in LES. Then we could paint the end zones white with blue BYU lettering, an actual blue zone (GL to 20 yard line) and then a white/green field between the 20s. It would be awesome.


We can finally do this:



http://www.cougarcorner.com/gallery/image.php?album_id=9&image_id=204" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
D
Dcr36
hawkwing wrote:
I'd be okay with a field turf in LES. Then we could paint the end zones white with blue BYU lettering, an actual blue zone (GL to 20 yard line) and then a white/green field between the 20s. It would be awesome.


We can finally do this:



http://www.cougarcorner.com/gallery/image.php?album_id=9&image_id=204" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">


That's so bad it loops back into incredible.
S
SpiffCoug
Incredibly AWESOME!
Page 1 of 3
This is an archived topic from the original CougarCorner forum. New replies are not accepted.