Archived Topic

Brandon Davies and away crowds (USU in particular)

by Dcr36 · 11/9/2011

Advertisement
D
Dcr36
Per Drew: "BYU's Davies said he expects to deal with a lot of hostile, mocking road crowds this season, thinks he is good at ignoring it."



I thought about this a little the last couple months, but not a lot. Wesley got some ribbing from the U under similar circumstances, right? I'm not too worried about the U right now - they don't have a whole lot to be proud of on the court, and last year it seemed like the Huntsman was pretty close to a 50/50 split. But I'm genuinely afraid of how USU's gonna treat Davies - apparently a bunch of Logan kids were wearing "Where's Harvey" shirts at the BYU football game last year. (Which is admittedly different, as Harvey was not present at the game.)



I generally like USU, but if they or any other fanbase get on Brandon Davies' case, I think that's going to really effect how I feel about them. This is different than Harvey or Wesley. I don't think any one college student in recent history has had their consensual and legal sexual encounter as heavily publicized as Davies. Granted, I believe what he did was wrong, but the amount of recognition vs. the gravity of the harm was pretty out-of-balance. I supported his suspension, but I thought the humiliation heaped on Davies was enormous.



If any student body makes an organized effort to mock Davies for doing something 80%-90% of the players on most of their respective teams are doing as well, I'll find that 10 times more disrespectful than a bunch of 20-year-olds in mock-missionary attire.



Maybe I'm still wearing rose-colored glasses when it comes the WCC, but I've repeatedly read that their home crowds are pretty tame, Gonzaga notwithstanding. I'm hoping that proves to be the case.
S
SpiffCoug
Hate to break it to you, but Aggie fans are awful. Here's a sample of some of the signs and hostility Davies might encounter on Friday.



Be prepared for a lot of disrespect spewed from Aggie fans to Davies and BYU and the LDS church.



http://www.usufans.com/Forums/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=15943" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
S
Schmoe
Wow, some of those are downright awful! I've never had much respect for Aggie fans, but that's just a downright horrid atmosphere.
B
BerliNY
Schmoe wrote:
Wow, some of those are downright awful! I've never had much respect for Aggie fans, but that's just a downright horrid atmosphere.


Personally I thought they were pretty vanilla. I expect they'll be more creative on Friday.
G
Gunk
He'll get this all season, but the worst will likely come from USU and Utah, which I find absolutely ironic.



Reading that forum I am more convinced than ever half the state of Utah has self-projecting issues.
Advertisement
S
Stirfry
USU is going to be brutal but the U won't even compete with them. Last years game at the U was the strangest sports experiance I've experianced. That place was dominated by BYU fans (although we did have Jimmer last year). I don't know what the percentages were but the noise was all for BYU.



Hopefully we can do that again just to try and save some face after the football game.
D
Dcr36
Gunk wrote:
He'll get this all season, but the worst will likely come from USU and Utah, which I find absolutely ironic.



Reading that forum I am more convinced than ever half the state of Utah has self-projecting issues.


Some of these fans have some kind of projecting issue, that's for sure. I don't know how else you turn a kid who made an over-publicized mistake into a canvas upon which you can throw a whole lot of ugliness on to.
T
tmoney35
It never ceases to amaze me how much USU students hate BYU.



I would even say a lot of them hate us just as much, if not more than :utard:'s do; which is funny because the majority of people at BYU think of Logan and go, "wait...there's a college in Logan?"



p.s. there was a lot of talk on the USU forum referring to "floater" in referrence to Davies and that nobody at BYU would know what they're talking about if they put it on a sign? Anyone know the inside joke there?
I
idahocougarfan
I agree that USU will be a hostile crowds. I have some friends that attend there, I have gone to a few games with them. I have come to hate their fans.



I expect that they will be ruthless to Davies, even though he doesn't deserve it. But it's going to happen.



It is just what USU does, is to have annoying and ruthless fans, especially against BYU.



I hope the Cougs can go and get a win on Friday. But we will see what happens.



GO COUGARS!!
R
radius19
I'm really hoping Brandon keeps head and shows that he's above them. Nothing more impressive than players who can completely zone out opponents crowds until the very end when they're in stunned silence, ala the Jimmer last year @ SDSU.
Advertisement
S
SpiffCoug
Tmoney, I sent you a boardmail about your question.
B
BroncoBot
tmoney, when in doubt about a term you are seeing online urbandictionary.com is your friend (if you really must know).



Davies should handle this fine. It's not like it's a open wound he's dealing with here. He's had 9+ months of healing time. I'm sure he's anticipated opposing crowds and will be callused accordingly. If anything I think BYU fans will make a bigger deal out of it which is really what the USU fans want. Ignoring the signs and not getting worked up would serve BYU fans and Davies well in this situation.



I thought some of the USU fans were pretty fair when I read their posts. Other were downright pathetic and sad. But I've seen BYU fans do some pathetic and sad things as well. Given the choice of schools, I'd choose USU over u of u anyday.



I know that all of us here are not going to like seeing Davies get smeared again (me included), but I wouldn't put past a lot of BYU fans (making signs about DUIs, choking girlfriends, etc etc.) doing the same thing. I'm not agreeing with that they are planning on doing, but in the end it's just a unique consequence that Davies has to deal with. And I think he will do well.
A
ABYUFAN
I liked the "Jesus wants me for an Aggie" sign idea....
B
BroncoBot
ABYUFAN wrote:
I liked the "Jesus wants me for an Aggie" sign idea....

what's up with the Rogers coming out of the closet signs? Those seem pretty unoriginal.
T
tmoney35
declocoug wrote:
what's up with the Rogers coming out of the closet signs? Those seem pretty unoriginal.


Did something specific happen, or did they just pick him out randomly?
Advertisement
B
BroncoBot
tmoney35 wrote:
what's up with the Rogers coming out of the closet signs? Those seem pretty unoriginal.


Did something specific happen, or did they just pick him out randomly?

I'm guessing random selection, or we would have heard about it.
A
AZman
declocoug wrote:
declocoug wrote:
what's up with the Rogers coming out of the closet signs? Those seem pretty unoriginal.


Did something specific happen, or did they just pick him out randomly?

I'm guessing random selection, or we would have heard about it.


Remember when Mr. Rogers would go into his closet to get his sweater and slippers...its all a reference to the show. The Davies signs aren't going to be as tame as the ones in the forum but I fear the chants are going to be MUCH worse. I personally wish I could go to the game, watch BYU beat them 75-64, stand in my seat after the game and just give the bird to the entire arena.
M
Mars


Both BYU and BYU fans are lucky that they don't know the full story about Brandon, or he probably wouldn't still be playing here and many of you probably wouldn't be rooting for him. Then again, you might not be as big a fan of BYU if you knew the things that they required him to do to rejoin the team either. A truly sad and disappointing situation all around, and one that both parties are lucky never completely came out in public. His recent quotes to the media... I found disturbing. I can't say anything more. And I have to leave it at that.
D
Dcr36
Mars wrote:


Both BYU and BYU fans are lucky that they don't know the full story about Brandon, or he probably wouldn't still be playing here and many of you probably wouldn't be rooting for him. Then again, you might not be as big a fan of BYU if you knew the things that they required him to do to rejoin the team either. A truly sad and disappointing situation all around, and one that both parties are lucky never completely came out in public. His recent quotes to the media... I found disturbing. I can't say anything more. And I have to leave it at that.


I've read your comments here and elsewhere enough to know that particular account of events regarding what Brandon did, unless you're insinuating it's worse, in which case, yes, you're right, I personally don't want to know.



But, and I'll admit the following is probably pushed beyond the realm of reason by post-Penn State hysteria: if you are privy to knowledge regarding unscrupulous actions taken by BYU's HC office, or criminal actions by Davies, and if they're bad enough that you're making "trust me, you DON'T want to know" comments, don't you think you should, like, report it to someone? Pretty sure the Trib would be all over that.
G
Gunk
Mars wrote:


Both BYU and BYU fans are lucky that they don't know the full story about Brandon, or he probably wouldn't still be playing here and many of you probably wouldn't be rooting for him. Then again, you might not be as big a fan of BYU if you knew the things that they required him to do to rejoin the team either. A truly sad and disappointing situation all around, and one that both parties are lucky never completely came out in public. His recent quotes to the media... I found disturbing. I can't say anything more. And I have to leave it at that.


You found it disturbing that he wants to put the situation behind him, join his team and play ball? :skeptic: What was he supposed to say to the public about private matters?



I'm sure we only know the tip of the iceberg. Very rarely, does someone wake up one day and do a complete 180 on their morals. There’s usually preceding behavior and several instances of related behavior before the instance that results in the person getting “caught.”
Page 1 of 3
This is an archived topic from the original CougarCorner forum. New replies are not accepted.