Archived Topic

Heaps Open to Redshirting

by AJP · 11/9/2011

Advertisement
A
AJP
Per Jay Drew's tweet: 'BYU football coach Bronco Mendenhall told DJPKKFAN and others after practice that QB Jake Heaps is "open" to redshirting next year.'



But I thought Heaps was gonna transfer though...? ;)
T
trueblue72
That's interesting news to me. I know someone very close to Jake and this person when I asked them about red-shirting next year there response was no, he wouldn't do that and would rather transfer. I hope it's true, it would be awesome if he could spend a year in the booth like Max did his transfer year and get an bird's eye view of what is going on. Don't think it will happen though, I definitley wont hold my breath.
S
SpiffCoug
It's very possible, trueblue72, that there is no discrepancy. When you asked that was what Jake was thinking at that time. That may have changed since then.



I'd be very surprised if Jake left. He's very much about BYU and the BYU experience. You don't go out and recruit other players to come to BYU and then stand by and watch many of them red shirt while they watch you play and then you up and leave when things get tough.



Jake isn't going anywhere and will finish his career realizing much of his potential and being very successful on the field.
C
CougarClaw
I hope this is true.



I can think of nothing better for a head case than a year of letting anticipation for your next start build and build. let jake run the scout team and let him get hit.
T
trueblue72
Spiff, obviously he can change his mind and I hope he has since that point. That was yesterday (Monday) when I was told that he wasn't open to that idea. Of course, the person who told me that is so emotional over the situation with Jake that they their view of the situation is/ may be skewed and thinking what they want to think and not what is really going on.
Advertisement
S
snoscythe
trueblue72 wrote:
That's interesting news to me. I know someone very close to Jake and this person when I asked them about red-shirting next year there response was no, he wouldn't do that and would rather transfer. I hope it's true, it would be awesome if he could spend a year in the booth like Max did his transfer year and get an bird's eye view of what is going on. Don't think it will happen though, I definitley wont hold my breath.


Heaps hasn't changed his mind....he is just talking about wearing a red shirt on game day instead of a blue one....you know, Vai's version of "redshirting."



:whistle:
T
trueblue72
snoscythe wrote:
That's interesting news to me. I know someone very close to Jake and this person when I asked them about red-shirting next year there response was no, he wouldn't do that and would rather transfer. I hope it's true, it would be awesome if he could spend a year in the booth like Max did his transfer year and get an bird's eye view of what is going on. Don't think it will happen though, I definitley wont hold my breath.


Heaps hasn't changed his mind....he is just talking about wearing a red shirt on game day instead of a blue one....you know, Vai's version of "redshirting."



:whistle:


Vai, Jason Buck, Roderick, Sitake, Whitt, Murphy and others have the most perverted view of what redshirting. Their version of redshirting is what I refer to as "benedicting". Damn traitors!



But I sure hope Jake stays, I think that if he proves himself and wins the job it will "restore" the confidence and swagger that he once had.
S
SpiffCoug
trueblue72 wrote:
Spiff, obviously he can change his mind and I hope he has since that point. That was yesterday (Monday) when I was told that he wasn't open to that idea. Of course, the person who told me that is so emotional over the situation with Jake that they their view of the situation is/ may be skewed and thinking what they want to think and not what is really going on.

I was hoping your info was a little older than yesterday - like last week or the week before.



It's also possible some time yesterday, Bronco spoke to Jake about it (red shirting) and was able to provide some perspective and his thoughts on the benefits to Jake redshirting.
G
Guest
I actually have a very close source to Jake Heaps that I was visiting with over the weekend. Their thoughts seemed to indicate that Jake is still set on being not just a BYU qb but an excellent one even if it means redshirting. I really have no idea whose source has a more accurate view of James mindset but take it for what its worth.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
D
Ddawg
snoscythe wrote:
That's interesting news to me. I know someone very close to Jake and this person when I asked them about red-shirting next year there response was no, he wouldn't do that and would rather transfer. I hope it's true, it would be awesome if he could spend a year in the booth like Max did his transfer year and get an bird's eye view of what is going on. Don't think it will happen though, I definitley wont hold my breath.


Heaps hasn't changed his mind....he is just talking about wearing a red shirt on game day instead of a blue one....you know, Vai's version of "redshirting."



:whistle:


Daaaaaayng! Ha ha ha ha ha ha!!!! :lol: :lol: :lol: 8)
Advertisement
C
Cougarbib
AJP wrote:
Per Jay Drew's tweet: 'BYU football coach Bronco Mendenhall told DJPKKFAN and others after practice that QB Jake Heaps is "open" to redshirting next year.'



But I thought Heaps was gonna transfer though...? ;)


Maybe after he redshirts?

;)
C
Cougarbib
hawkwing wrote:
I actually have a very close source to Jake Heaps that I was visiting with over the weekend. Their thoughts seemed to indicate that Jake is still set on being not just a BYU qb but an excellent one even if it means redshirting. I really have no idea whose source has a more accurate view of James mindset but take it for what its worth.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">


Probably the one who calls him Jake. The one who calls him James might be too Bibilical to understand football ways of thinking.



;)
B
birdie702
Just got off the phone with Jake's dad. Jake is not transferring! :D
S
SpiffCoug
I just read on the Internet that someone spoke to Jake's dad and that Jake's not transferring!! :D
N
northerncougar
I'm Jake's Dad and I have no idea what he is doing. :whistle:
Advertisement
F
frdbtr
northerncougar wrote:
I'm Jake's Dad and I have no idea what he is doing. :whistle:




LOL!
D
Dcr36
I can say with 100% certainty that Jake Heaps is willing to redshirt.



Because I am Jake Heaps.
G
Guest
Dcr36 wrote:
I can say with 100% certainty that Jake Heaps is willing to redshirt.



Because I am Jake Heaps.


There's only one source that has more say over what Jake will do than Jake. His wife! Now who's going to claim to be her?
C
Cougarbib
hawkwing wrote:
I can say with 100% certainty that Jake Heaps is willing to redshirt.



Because I am Jake Heaps.


There's only one source that has more say over what Jake will do than Jake. His wife! Now who's going to claim to be her?


Jake's wife is a close family friend of someone I don't know. She explained that Jake wanted to transfer but she told him that neither he nor she was going to waste all of those Religion and other credits that would not transfer and that she was not going to give up The Creamery for anything.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
S
snoscythe
Cougarbib2 wrote:
Jake's wife was not going to give up The Creamery for anything.


Glad to see I'm not the only one who noticed Jake picked a less-than-svelte mate! :evil: :lol:
Page 1 of 3
This is an archived topic from the original CougarCorner forum. New replies are not accepted.