Archived Topic

Tanner Mangum ESPN article

by EM_Puma · 11/8/2011

Advertisement
B
BerliNY
Nice article. Good find Puma.
C
Cougs_Rule
WOW! Great article. Thanks.

Double WOW! nobody on this board is buying or commenting on the hype.

Whats up folks? Afraid of hearing the word "potential"? Too burned to believe that high school success cold translate to success at BYU? Too disenfranchised to buy the national camp success? Too concerned our coaching staff will blow it with another blue-chip recruit? Too afraid our "blue-collar" upper classman's ego won't be able to handle the new hot kid on the block? Too bought off on Bronco's blue-collar projections and infatuations?

Take heart CC fans. He's going on a mission. Hes got priorities and the whole package.

This kid has POTENTIAL. :crazy: :)
M
mizzoucoug
Can he run too? Thanks to Nelson, at this point that's all I care about! :)
S
snoscythe
dmcougar wrote:
WOW! Great article. Thanks.

Double WOW! nobody on this board is buying or commenting on the hype.

Whats up folks? Afraid of hearing the word "potential"? Too burned to believe that high school success cold translate to success at BYU? Too disenfranchised to buy the national camp success? Too concerned our coaching staff will blow it with another blue-chip recruit? Too afraid our "blue-collar" upper classman's ego won't be able to handle the new hot kid on the block? Too bought off on Bronco's blue-collar projections and infatuations?

Take heart CC fans. He's going on a mission. Hes got priorities and the whole package.

This kid has POTENTIAL. :crazy: :)


Just like Heaps, I'm glad we got Mangum, but I'll wait to retire his jersey until he plays well at the collegiate level.
Advertisement
G
Guest
If Mangum doesn't redshirt, it's another huge coaching black eye for the Y and another QB wasted.
A
ABYUFAN
hawkwing wrote:
If Mangum doesn't redshirt, it's another huge coaching black eye for the Y and another QB wasted.
well, he's going on a mission first, and, according to SDSU, that's EVEN BETTER than a redshirt....
G
Guest
ABYUFAN wrote:
If Mangum doesn't redshirt, it's another huge coaching black eye for the Y and another QB wasted.
well, he's going on a mission first, and, according to SDSU, that's EVEN BETTER than a redshirt....

:lol: :lol: :lol:



It'll be nice having a 36 year old QB!
C
CougarClaw
yup! If you're not old enough to be Brette Favre, you can't even try OUT for BYU QB.
C
Cougarfan87
This kid sounds like a stud. I'm glad to hear he is going on a mission because that is a great choice for him. No amount of football glory can replace diligent missionary service.



I hope he comes back from his mission, knocks off the mission rust, and becomes a great BYU QB.
Advertisement
R
runbyu1
I personally feel this will be the difference between Tanner and Jake. I submit that the majority of Jake Heaps challenges would have been largely overcome if he would have served a mission---or sat on the bench for a couple of years. But I think a mission would have given him the skills that he is currently lacking.
J
jojoelchango
I shook his hand at the oregon state game, just thought you all should know that...



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
D
Dcr36
A few weeks ago I showed up at an Eagle High game RIGHT AS they pulled him for the backup QB. Score was 52-0. So I can accurately report that he appears to be very good at standing on the sidelines.
S
SenorCougar
runbyu1 wrote:
I personally feel this will be the difference between Tanner and Jake. I submit that the majority of Jake Heaps challenges would have been largely overcome if he would have served a mission---or sat on the bench for a couple of years. But I think a mission would have given him the skills that he is currently lacking.


And I suppose that Jimmer would have got more skills on a mission? Tanner needs to realize that, like Jake, every loss will be his fault. Expectations are too high. Jake will transfer and Tanner will change to Boise State while on his mission...
D
Dcr36
SenorCougar wrote:
I personally feel this will be the difference between Tanner and Jake. I submit that the majority of Jake Heaps challenges would have been largely overcome if he would have served a mission---or sat on the bench for a couple of years. But I think a mission would have given him the skills that he is currently lacking.


And I suppose that Jimmer would have got more skills on a mission?


Jimmer kinda proves runbyu's point. Jimmer got one year as a bench-player and another year as a role-player before he was the unquestioned leader of the team for his last two years.



I don't know if a mission would've necessarily "fixed" Heaps (and definitely could've hurt him given the physical question marks surrounding an RM), but I think Heaps would've been well-served from some sort of time away to develop, be it the bench or the mission field.
Advertisement
S
SpiffCoug
SenorCougar wrote:
I personally feel this will be the difference between Tanner and Jake. I submit that the majority of Jake Heaps challenges would have been largely overcome if he would have served a mission---or sat on the bench for a couple of years. But I think a mission would have given him the skills that he is currently lacking.


And I suppose that Jimmer would have got more skills on a mission?

Everyone is different. It's clear Jake needs maturity, a mission is one way some young men get it.
B
BroncoBot
Dcr36 wrote:
runbyu1 wrote:
I personally feel this will be the difference between Tanner and Jake. I submit that the majority of Jake Heaps challenges would have been largely overcome if he would have served a mission---or sat on the bench for a couple of years. But I think a mission would have given him the skills that he is currently lacking.


And I suppose that Jimmer would have got more skills on a mission?


Jimmer kinda proves runbyu's point. Jimmer got one year as a bench-player and another year as a role-player before he was the unquestioned leader of the team for his last two years.



I don't know if a mission would've necessarily "fixed" Heaps (and definitely could've hurt him given the physical question marks surrounding an RM), but I think Heaps would've been well-served from some sort of time away to develop, be it the bench or the mission field.

Jimmer and Heaps have almost nothing in common. Jimmer had to earn his respect. He didn't have have the recruiting hype, the fan hype, the pressure his freshman year, he didn't get shoved into a starting role, etc etc etc.



One is a rising star, the other might become a star at some point... maybe.
This is an archived topic from the original CougarCorner forum. New replies are not accepted.