Archived Topic

It is Official - BYU Being Pushed To Join BEAST WEST

by Cougarbib · 11/7/2011

Advertisement
C
Cougarbib
According to Bronco. BCS Bowl Access - is the potential prize. Tweets do not indicate how fan TV access and world-wide exposure would be affected.



Mendenhall did acknowledge that BYU has been contacted and is being pushed to join.
L
Lawboy
If BYU could not get a B12 deal done, and then joins the Big East, I will be mad. Especially if it is football only. I do not care if Boise State and AFA and SDSU join too, it just seems like a really bad idea. Talk about a league that is not stable, especially compared to the Big XII. It makes no sense to me at all.
G
Guest
I would be very happy if BYU joined the Big East with the following conditions:



1. Keep the best of both TV deals. ESPN all the time. (and $$ that goes along with it)

2. Keep BYUtv deal in place and maintain rebroadcast rights.

3. Play in a Western league with only 1 east coast game a year.

4. No exit penalties if league loses BCS bid.

5. (Bonus) if ND joins too.
C
creative45
What would be the payout in the big east compared to the pac"what ever"?
A
AmmonCougar1
hawkwing wrote:
I would be very happy if BYU joined the Big East with the following conditions:



1. Keep the best of both TV deals. ESPN all the time. (and $$ that goes along with it)

2. Keep BYUtv deal in place and maintain rebroadcast rights.

3. Play in a Western league with only 1 east coast game a year.

4. No exit penalties if league loses BCS bid.

5. (Bonus) if ND joins too.




I would add #6. If BYU gets some perks on scheduling the Big East B-Ball teams (home and home) as well as consideration in the future for Men's b-ball full membership too.



Go Cougs!!!

J. Child

Ammon, ID
Advertisement
G
Guest
Besides, being strongly courted by the Big East is a good thing for those who want us to go to the Big12. If the Big12 thinks its between them and Independent they don't have to offer up any concessions in the negotiations. If the Big East is there saying we'll let you have what you want AND a nice easy path to the BCS then the Big 12 has to seriously decide how much they want us.
Y
Y 4 Ever
hawkwing wrote:

3. Play in a Western league with only 1 east coast game a year.


Why only 1 east coast game a year? I'm certainly not on board with joining the big Least, but one advantage seems to be to me that it allows BYU to schedule games in the East. They stated that one of their reasons for going Indy was to play a "national" schedule. Getting 2-3 eastern games a year in the BE would help out with that.



That said, I'd personally prefer Indy to Big East - especially since the only teams worth getting excited about in that conference are all gone.
L
Lawboy
I get the leverage argument. Totally. The issue is that the rats that are jumping off the BE ship are jumping to the Big XII for survival. Those jumping to the Big East ship are those without a thing to grab onto as it is(C-USA/MWC teams).



BE just sounds like such a poor option to me. It is not a step up in play. Not a step up in anything, except AQ status, which is tenuous at best anyway.



No Pitt, No WVU, no Cuse. The league lost its 3 best historic football programs. The B12 kep theirs.
C
Cougarpoke
I would not be surprised if this is a move by BYU to influence the B12 to make a move and invite BYU...then again, B12 might be done with BYU and BYU is trying to get the consolation prize. I am not super happy about being in the Beast, for lots of reasons.
C
CougarClaw
anyone else think this is more than a little bit odd that someone from the administration is now suddenly able to discuss ongoing negotiations?



has Bronco gone rogue? (or rouge as they used o say in WoW)



or should we just start calling Bronco: Chip.
Advertisement
B
billbillbillbill
I assume since it was a bye week, Bronco finally had time to get onto the chat boards and learn what is really going on!
Y
Y 4 Ever
CougarClaw wrote:
anyone else think this is more than a little bit odd that someone from the administration is now suddenly able to discuss ongoing negotiations?


I was thinking the same thing. Tight lips on Big 12...and now Bronco spouting off about being in discussions with Big lEast. Hmmmm... Tells me one of 2 things:



1. Talks with Big 12 were never all that serious, OR

2. This is a negotiating ploy with the big 12.
C
CAFB_04-12
For football my thoughts are "Meh..."



For BBall, I have much awesomer thoughts.
C
cougarapologist
Reason to put this out there is B12, no doubt. With Missouri officially gone, they have a problem is WV can't get free for 2010. They need another football school to make their TV contract. If we can squeeze the 2012 invite and they agree to add WV and Louisville in 2 years, then all is well (and the BE is truly dead).



If B12 won't do this, then we have to take the BE deal. With the following caveats:

1. Keep Tier III rights (BYUtv) and rebroadcast rights.

2. 8-game conference schedule (5 against division, 3 against East div).

3. Promise of every BE hoops team doing home and home with BYU within 7 years (2 home and 2 away each year).

4. Deal goes away if lose BCS AQ status.



This would be a no-brainer, guys. BE far more winnable than B12. Nice division. Still have 4 games per year to get Utah, ND, Texas, etc. Great basketball games in Marriott Center plus WCC membership might let us hang on to Coach Rose. Gotta do it.
N
NorCal
Big 12 > Big East with AQ> Independent > Big East without AQ. The bottom line is if we can get BCS access and keep it, I would be all for joining the Big East. It would be probably BYU or Boise St fighting for the BCS spot most of the years. The rest of the teams are definitely better than San Jose, Idaho, etc. I would agree that getting 2-3 Big East teams to come to the Marriott Center in Basketball would be a must.
Advertisement
E
EM_Puma
I don't think the B12 will feel any pressure if BYU suddenly has an option. I don't think in the current environment that anyone is concerned about any contracts in place as they only seem to be worth the paper they were written on--and that at used-paper rates.
S
snoscythe
Bah. I question Bronco's sources.



;)
C
CougarClaw
snoscythe wrote:
Bah. I question Bronco's sources.



;)


HA!
C
Cougarbib
Lawboy wrote:
If BYU could not get a B12 deal done, and then joins the Big East, I will be mad. Especially if it is football only. I do not care if Boise State and AFA and SDSU join too, it just seems like a really bad idea. Talk about a league that is not stable, especially compared to the Big XII. It makes no sense to me at all.


Let me help. We were not invited to join the Big 12. We all agree that the Big 12 is a better football conference and with the revenue tie-up is now more stable too. I was for Big 12.



I doubt that BYU could compete in the top half of Big 12 and think they will have their hands full competing in BEAST if they join, but they are going to struggle to compete when loading up on road games Vs good teams as an Indy.



Here is to smarter scheduling no matter where we go - look at Houston's schedule or any BCS Busting schedule of the past for any buster or BYU 1984 to see what I mean by smarter scheduling.



We have forgotten who we are, it seems.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
C
Cougarbib
hawkwing wrote:
I would be very happy if BYU joined the Big East with the following conditions:



1. Keep the best of both TV deals. ESPN all the time. (and $$ that goes along with it)

2. Keep BYUtv deal in place and maintain rebroadcast rights.

3. Play in a Western league with only 1 east coast game a year.

4. No exit penalties if league loses BCS bid.

5. (Bonus) if ND joins too.


This - even if 1 is not ESPN all the time. But BYU retaining rights to broadcast anything Big East does not broadcast. Football only for now - keeps WCC in play if BCS bid goes away and we go Indy again.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
Page 1 of 3
This is an archived topic from the original CougarCorner forum. New replies are not accepted.