Archived Topic

Steve Clevland

by scott715 · 11/5/2011

Advertisement
S
scott715
I know he is no longer the FSU coach. did he retire or take another position on their campus. He is now an announcer. He knows our guys and programs. Any info or thoughts. I am assuming we will see him all year.
K
KYCoug
I remember when he left it seemed he only had a few years to go to get a California retirement pension which in his case was probably quite substantial. I'm sure he stayed long enough for that and then got out. Glad to see he's still a Cougar fan. I really liked him. I was glad he left when he did but happy for him now.
B
BerliNY
When he "stepped down" it was announced that he would take a position in the AD's office at FSU. It looks like he was simply made an "emeritus" HC and put out to pasture. I love having him as the color commentator for BYUtv because his insight into the game is 10x better than anyone else they've had, but it is definitely beneath him. Any chance Rose could hire him as an assistant without it being too weird?



The shame in all of this is that Cleve left BYU for FSU out of a sense of loyalty to Fresno, now they've cut him loose for cleaning up the program but not putting enough butts in seats. I for one would welcome him back to BYU with open arms.
G
Gunk
Hmmm...I thought he decided to retire from coaching but, like mentioned, he was given an AD job so he could collect his pension.



I don't think he has interest in coaching, but I could be wrong.
B
BerliNY
Gunk wrote:
Hmmm...I thought he decided to retire from coaching but, like mentioned, he was given an AD job so he could collect his pension.



I don't think he has interest in coaching, but I could be wrong.


The Fresno AD made a big show of saying Cleveland was not being fired ... which of course means that he got fired. The AD has since made it clear that his budget was suffering from not selling enough bball tix. So now he wants a new coach who can get his players to graduate AND go to the tourney (and stay out of prison).



I have no idea if Cleve has any interest in coaching, but I don't think it was his decision to quit either.



On the other hand, the ewets may be in the market for a new head coach in a week or so.
Advertisement
G
Gunk
BerliNY wrote:
Hmmm...I thought he decided to retire from coaching but, like mentioned, he was given an AD job so he could collect his pension.



I don't think he has interest in coaching, but I could be wrong.


The Fresno AD made a big show of saying Cleveland was not being fired ... which of course means that he got fired. The AD has since made it clear that his budget was suffering from not selling enough bball tix. So now he wants a new coach who can get his players to graduate AND go to the tourney (and stay out of prison).



I have no idea if Cleve has any interest in coaching, but I don't think it was his decision to quit either.



On the other hand, the ewets may be in the market for a new head coach in a week or so.


Didn't hear about the tickets issues. Since when has anyone shelled out money to watch Fresno? :P
B
BerliNY
BerliNY wrote:
Hmmm...I thought he decided to retire from coaching but, like mentioned, he was given an AD job so he could collect his pension.



I don't think he has interest in coaching, but I could be wrong.


The Fresno AD made a big show of saying Cleveland was not being fired ... which of course means that he got fired. The AD has since made it clear that his budget was suffering from not selling enough bball tix. So now he wants a new coach who can get his players to graduate AND go to the tourney (and stay out of prison).



I have no idea if Cleve has any interest in coaching, but I don't think it was his decision to quit either.



On the other hand, the ewets may be in the market for a new head coach in a week or so.


http://www.fresnobee.com/2011/03/17/2314246/fresno-state-to-hold-7-pm-mens.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
This is an archived topic from the original CougarCorner forum. New replies are not accepted.