Archived Topic

Dixie Game tonight

by hawkwing · 11/4/2011

Advertisement
G
Guest
Anyone else attending the Dixie game tonight?



I'll be there at portal D. Always fun to meet some fellow Cougar hoops fans!
S
SpiffCoug
Portal D.
R
radius19
possibly, depends on how much studying i can get done before then. Portal G.
Q
Qman
Really sloppy for BYU so far tonight. Harrison got the start over Rodgers. Davies makes some plays and then makes two or three bad plays. Hartsock consistently makes good things happen. Abouo is still trying to do too much.
B
BroncoBot
UGLY game so far. Just ugly. I thought harrison was doing a good job on defense, but he's still young and that shows sometimes. He needs to work on anticipation and realize not focus so much on where the ball is.



Brock, man. Where did this guy come from.



Davies still looking rusty. But also looks like Pope has helped him out with some low post moves.



Sharp: I like the aggression level, but his youth also shows. Needs to really settle down and let the game come to him.



Rogers: Just forgot that you don't foul a jump shooter.



Hartsock: Going to be a big part of the offense this year.



DSC Cole: HAving a fantastic game. EDIT: Make that downright ridiculous night. I'd love to have a pg like him at BYU.
Advertisement
B
BroncoBot
BYU getting the long end of the stick on most of the calls. I don't know how that Dixie player fouled out that was defending Davies, and I think Hartsock just drew a foul thanks to his artistic abilities.
S
Schmoe
Geez, forget anything I said about top-25. I think we have a lot of talent and potential, but we REALLY need to polish up our game.
I
irishcoug
I'm officially no longer in Abuou's corner. Man alive...
B
BroncoBot
Schmoe wrote:
Geez, forget anything I said about top-25. I think we have a lot of talent and potential, but we REALLY need to polish up our game.

Totally agree. There are only 3 cougars that I feel comfortable when the ball is in their hands. Davies, Hartsock and Rogers. I think Zylstra is going to have a lot of turnovers due to "palming" and travels.
C
Cougarbib
THere is another new kid in town to be unveiled in December - not a minute too soon. But young and may also make mistakes. Rebuilding year folks. YOu have seen two of those in a row in football. Get ready for one in basketball. THe schedule in basketball should be a little kinder than the football achedule has been.



I was unpleasantly surprised by Abouo, Davies, Hartsock and Rogers in that order early. Then some of them came on later. But I had huge expectations for Davies this year. That was my disappointment. He was actually pretty decent. I expected unstopable vs this team. I expected Abouo to play a role and shut down on defense and spark on offense when asked to. Offensively he stunk. He is still clumsy and awkward. I expected Hartsock to be money inside and outside and the stability of the team. He started to be that later. I expected Rogers to be a sharp shooter all night - not just late.



Where in the world did Brock Zylstra come from. I had heard he was going to be a contributor, but he carried the entire team early imho.



DSC was actually quite a bit better than I expected them to be. We got some really helpful calls down the stretch. We could have lost this one and maybe even should have.
Advertisement
S
SpiffCoug
Adams State beat Utah in SLC 61-60 last night.
B
beauso79
We still don't have anybody to distribute the ball effectively. Zylstra seemed to play better at the 2. When he's pressed he picks up the dribble and looks to pass immediately and he's been pretty turnover prone so far. The problem is our back up point guards suck. We don't have anybody with decent ball handlinge skills that can drive middle and kick it out if needed. Having someone who can do that would help set up our outside shots a little more.



Agree that Abouo made some bad decisions but overall played good defense. He just had an off night. I think we know what to expect out of him after seeing him the last couple years. A good role player but not a star like we all hoped he'd be.



Disappointed Rose didn't get Winder in the game, especially with how ineffective Martineau and Cusick were. Wonder if he was injured?? Having Zylstra and Winder running at the 1 and 2 could have helped out at times, especially defensively.



Our low post game was definitely our strength and CC and Sharp should be big contributors this year. Love CC's ability to pass out of the post and feel we should utilize that more. One good thing is that we were able to score 96 points with basically a half court offense. Another good sign is that our bigs are hitting their free throws at a decent clip as well. I think Pope is having a good influence on Davies as he's seems to be showing some confidence and some improved post moves as well



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
Q
Qman
Things I learned from this game:



-Rodgers is our most explosive scorer. He gets on a run and it is 10 points really quickly. He still gets stuck on picks and needs to be kept away from good perimeter scorers.



-Zylstra is our most consistent 3 pt shooter. He does an okay job on offense in the half court getting the ball into the post. Made some big plays in crunch time.



-Abouo has no confidence and doing things he isn't good at. He needs to play D hustle and lets his shots come. He has skill in the low post and needs to get a few touches there a night. He was effective at drawing fouls around the hoop.



-Davies was not focused at the beginning of the game, but was the lead crunch time option. He still gets 1 or 2 stupid fouls a game. He needs to be a little stronger to get deep post position so he is unstoppable.



-Hartsock was our best overall player tonight. Consistent on D and with help D. Made plays at the right times on O.



-Harrison got the start and showed flashes of ability with a blocked shot and quickness to chase a good shooter around screens. Needs to challenge shots more effectively. Needs to learn the spots to drive into the paint.



-Cusick/Martineu- they are marginal D 1 points. Martineu is little stronger and quicker on D but the offense stalls with him in the game. Cusick seems to move the ball a little better. I wonder why Winder doesn't get a chance. He can't be much worse.



-Sharp made some important hustle plays and played good D. That's his role.



-Collinsworth made some good passes and ran down some important rebounds. His offensive game is still really rough.
M
Mars
beauso79 wrote:
We still don't have anybody to distribute the ball effectively. Zylstra seemed to play better at the 2.

Which is the position he played the most at in Greece.
Q
Qman
We need Carlino. And it really too bad he can't get game experience now instead of in the conference season.
This is an archived topic from the original CougarCorner forum. New replies are not accepted.