Archived Topic

Impact of Dave Rice and new coach Pope

by CougarClaw · 11/3/2011

Advertisement
C
CougarClaw
Dave Rice ran our offense last year. Hard to think we won't miss him given we've always been strongest on the O side of the ball.



and isn't Pope going to mean we have Big Men coach again? Anyone hear how he's doing?
M
Mars


Losing Rice was very saddening.



Pope brings hope though. Our bigs need a great coach. Or at least they could use a good position coach.
G
Gunk
Rice leaving is a loss for sure, but one thing BYU has definitely lacked the last few seasons is a strong low post presence. Pope brings that to BYU, so I'm optimistic that despite the loss of Rice the addition of Pope is a net positive.



We still have Rose and Nashif has been assisting for the last 3 - 4 years, so should know a thing or too about our up-tempo offense.
D
Dcr36
I have high hopes for Pope regarding our big men, but I always wondered how much our big men problems were a result of recruiting, and not coaching. Both Plaisted and Cummard were on Rose's/Rice's watch, and while you could argue that they were soft, never reached their potential, etc, the offense did run through them for a time.



I think we should refer to the 2005-2011 period as the "Rose/Rice" period, just because it sounds a lot like Rolls Royce.
This is an archived topic from the original CougarCorner forum. New replies are not accepted.