Archived Topic

Nelson as punter

by DarthMagnus · 11/3/2011

Advertisement
D
DarthMagnus
Bronco on current punt situation



"We are going to take a look at other players. That’s only fair."

"He's pretty good," Mendenhall said, speaking of Nelson's punting ability.



Not sure what happened to the punt game against TCU. One would like to say it was just a freak occurrence, but 4 botched punts is tough to sell as being a "freak occurrence".
S
stuckinbig10country
Well, how long until we see Nelson playing DB too? He can do anything.
C
crh55
stuckinbig10country wrote:
Well, how long until we see Nelson playing DB too? He can do anything.


Agreed, he would be a great safety. A lot like Eric Weddle, who also played QB in high school. I've been saying this ever since I saw the athleticism, but lack of arm strength.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
C
Cougarbib
I voted yes. Football is supposed to be fun to watch. That would be. Wait - what if he gets injured on a running into the punter.
I
imuakahuku
Cougarbib2 wrote:
I voted yes. Football is supposed to be fun to watch. That would be. Wait - what if he gets injured on a running into the punter.


Or what if he see the return man is wide open so he decides to tuck and run? :lol:
Advertisement
S
SpiffCoug
We have had a couple 4th downs where it probably would have been better to have simply left Riley in there and have him go for it instead of the play that was run (have Riley run that fake FG pass, etc).
B
BerliNY
I love this idea. Talk about keeping the opposing team honest! Even if the regular punter can outkick Riley by 10 yards, I think the difference in the punt coverage would be so much better that it would more than offset the shorter punt distance. And that's not even accounting for the flexibility it would give the offense. You could run every 4th down as a punt option read.
J
jonnylingo
I am all for it. stephenson deserves to be benched.
S
snoscythe
But could he handle the deep snap, seeing as how he is made of teflon?
M
mizzoucoug
LOL Sno.



My only question is how easy is it really to design a trick play on a punting down when the other team knows the QB is back there? I mean you're already starting back 15 yards, which makes anything you throw a very deep pass. Maybe run option on a short 4th down would make sense.
Advertisement
N
nuk13
I remember Jonny Mac on a quick punt that worked. Another idea might be to have Nelson in as a blocker and take a snap. I saw in a book once a set of plays using the punt formation.
S
scott715
Or he could punt on 3rd down. that would surprise the other team.
B
byucougar1
Like the idea a lot because of the options it gives the offense. Riley is sure handed, he can run, he can pass, he can also high five.:-)



If he does play as a punter, IMO it should be consistently, so that it would be hard to know what he was going to do. When Marshall came in, it was pretty obvious he was going to throw and TCU was ready for any gimmick play. With Riley, depending on the field position and alignment of the defense, which he can read, he would have several options to change the play at the line of scrimmage and take advantage of whatever opportunity he saw the defense presenting. In Doman's words, it would keep the defense off balance.



A player that I remember could qb, punt and kick FG was George Blanda - Oakland Raiders. He was used very wisely and could present a lot of problems with his talents.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
A
ABYUFAN
mizzoucoug wrote:
LOL Sno.



I mean you're already starting back 15 yards, which makes anything you throw a very deep pass...
this is a very good point. If I'm to believe some fans, he would't be even able to throw the ball to the line of scrimmage should he even try



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
E
EM_Puma
crh55 wrote:
Well, how long until we see Nelson playing DB too? He can do anything.


Agreed, he would be a great safety. A lot like Eric Weddle, who also played QB in high school. I've been saying this ever since I saw the athleticism, but lack of arm strength.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">


I remember back in the 80's the Hawaii QB (Raphel Cherry I think his name was) was drafted into the NFL as a DB and was successful. Not that weird of a notion.
Advertisement
T
trueblue72
No! This isn't high school where the "best" athlete does all. We have many good.athletes and players. This is a dumb thread and should be deleted.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
E
EM_Puma
I was honestly surprised to hear Bronco saying the obvious that if you shank a ball once in a game, it happens, but when you have punting misques four times in one game, then there is something significantly wrong. Bravo Bronco.



I think Riley Stephenson has been adequate and sometimes good, but he's had far too many misfortunes than is acceptable.
F
frdbtr
I think it is a great idea. Can you imagine the possibilities of having our QB line up behind center on every 4th down. They could punt, pass, or run out of that formation on every 4th down and no one would know what was going to happen.
G
Guest
What if we had two punters lined up shoulder to shoulder, and then a QB on the outside shoulder of each punter? We could hike the ball to any of them and nobody would know what we're going to do!
M
Mingjai
nuk13 wrote:
I remember Jonny Mac on a quick punt that worked.


http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-tSLywcThEKE/TnoMAOp92rI/AAAAAAAACh0/TPgewRzK8NM/s1600/John_mcenroe_not_serious.jpg" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
Page 1 of 2
This is an archived topic from the original CougarCorner forum. New replies are not accepted.