Archived Topic

Mid Major top 25

by scott715 · 11/2/2011

Advertisement
C
coachK
Other opponents: Weber St #19 and UC Santa Barbara #23.
N
nuk13
Thanks Scott. I hope we can follow this through the season.
A
ABYUFAN
...Stupid "mid major" lable... Thnks for the condescending pat on the head...



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
M
Mars
scott715 wrote:
http://www.collegeinsider.com/mmpoll/



4 teams from the WCC. Gonzaga #1 we are #9, SMC #11.

I like it. It's a way of saying "screw the big leagues schools, they get talked about too much already! Let's talk about the over-looked, under-hyped guys that always seem to make noise in the Big Dance coming out of nowhere.
Advertisement
S
scott715
we have a real shot at getting 3 teams into the tournament.
K
KYCoug
Why is CUSA not considered Mid-Major. Just because Memphis has had some decent teams? This all stinks to High Heaven. One more reason why our affiliation with the WCC is a step backward. Now we are competing with small colleges in High School sized gyms. Can't benefit recruiting, exposure or chances into the NCAA big show.
S
SpiffCoug
Mid-majors are usually considered one-bid leagues. The WCC isn't a mid-major league. They're a three-bid league.
G
Gunk
There is no clear definition of a "mid-major." Some say it correlates to the school/conferences' size. Some say it's the success of the program. Some say it's a combination of both.



I tend to go with the later.



We were making a case last year to not be labeled as a "mid-major." The WCC is a mid-major conference. Arenas are no larger than a few thousand and schools are on the small size. Like it or not, we're more of a mid-major now than we are a major.
S
Schmoe
I don't understand how it's the conference that makes you a mid-major. Certainly wouldn't consider Memphis a mid-major, but the rest of their conference sure is. Our arena is big, very big, we don't lose at home, we go dancing, and we make noise.
Advertisement
M
Mars


So... did we just drop a few spots? ;)
K
KYCoug
Mars wrote:


So... did we just drop a few spots? ;)


Hay just look how competitive we are in the state of Utah! We're very competitive with the Dixie's, and Weber's of the world, probably beat the pukes also. Might be the second best team in Utah! and go far in the Mighty WCC.



I think I'm gonna be sick for awhile. :blush:



I hope so much more for BYU basketball and sports in general but with the dumbing down the schedule both in the WCC and as an independent in Football I sure don't like the direction BYU sports is going. Looks to me like an effort to possibly deemphasise sports and push us down to a smaller stage as a first step to discontinuing intercollegiate sports at the Y. I hope I'm wrong!!!
This is an archived topic from the original CougarCorner forum. New replies are not accepted.