Archived Topic

Big East Expands - Without BYU

by mraven · 11/1/2011

Advertisement
L
Lawboy
Good. If the Big XII was a bad fit and unstable, what does that make the Big East. they were always a worse option for us. Geographically, and for other reasons.
R
rblack
That could only mean one of three things. 1. BYU gave the Big East the cold shoulder because they are still talking to the Big 12. 2.BYU is more interested in trying out independence than being included in a BCS conference. 3. BYU is too conservative of a school for the Big East liberals to deal with.
S
snoscythe
rblack wrote:
That could only mean one of three things. 1. BYU gave the Big East the cold shoulder because they are still talking to the Big 12. 2.BYU is more interested in trying out independence than being included in a BCS conference. 3. BYU is too conservative of a school for the Big East liberals to deal with.


4. BYU isn't interested in football only in a weak-ass BCS conference.

5. Big East TV package for football doesn't begin to compare with BYU's current deal

6. Big East's BCS status is still in jeopardy, so they aren't too attractive if BYU thinks the Big XII might come around.



and finally:



7. Big East is only expanding to 11 teams with these 6 invites, and needs one more to get to an even number for the planned six team East/West Divisions for football, and that one more needs to be a West team......
D
Dcr36
snoscythe wrote:
expanding to 13 teams with these 6 invites


Forgive me if I'm wrong, but isn't it only 11? BE+TCU = 9, - Pitt and Cuse = 7, - TCU = 6, - WVU = 5, +BSU, Houston, AFA, et. all = 11, right?



Too lazy to look it up.
Advertisement
S
snoscythe
Dcr36 wrote:
expanding to 13 teams with these 6 invites


Forgive me if I'm wrong, but isn't it only 11? BE+TCU = 9, - Pitt and Cuse = 7, - TCU = 6, - WVU = 5, +BSU, Houston, AFA, et. all = 11, right?



Too lazy to look it up.


You're right--you caught it and quoted it before I corrected for the Syracuse and Pitt departures.
S
scott715
Well maybe Notre Dame will want us to join since we are partners together.
Y
Y 4 Ever
snoscythe wrote:



7. Big East is only expanding to 11 teams with these 6 invites, and needs one more to get to an even number for the planned six team East/West Divisions for football, and that one more needs to be a West team......


I can only assume that the Big East is pausing at 11 while they try to convince BYU to join. No rush to add #12, if WVU, Syr, and Pitt are being held back from leaving anyway.



If I had to put in order the likelihood of where BYU will be playing football in 2014, here's what I would say (in order of likelihood):



1. Big East

2. Indy

3. Big 12

4. Some new conference created by ESPN or some other megamonopoly that is brought about because OU and UT and the little sisters bail for the PAC, and the Big East is destroyed by the ACC/SEC/Big Ten.



Not saying that I WANT this to be the case. Just how I see the likelihood of how things might shake out. I think that after 1 year as Indy, Bronco and Tom both want to be part of a conference. They are still hoping for the Big 12, but I think we can all pretty much agree that ship has sailed for now.
C
CAFB_04-12
I think it's a stretch to call what's left of the Big East a BCS conference. It's a great basketball conference, but for football it's dead. So they want to add SMU and Houston? Okay, they're still dead. Boise would roll through that conference the same way they rolled through the WAC and will roll through the MWC.
D
Dcr36
CAFB_04-12 wrote:
I think it's a stretch to call what's left of the Big East a BCS conference. It's a great basketball conference, but for football it's dead. So they want to add SMU and Houston? Okay, they're still dead. Boise would roll through that conference the same way they rolled through the WAC and will roll through the MWC.


To me, the title of "BCS conference" isn't a reflection of how stout the in-conference competition is, it's merely the phrase used to denote whether the conference has an autobid or not.



If the powers that be feel that BSU, Houston, UCF and the others give the Big East enough clout to maintain that autobid, it's just as much of a BCS conference as the SEC or Big XII. That's a huge "if," however.
Advertisement
C
Cougarbib
There are still ships that have not sailed. It is so quiet that I have to believe BYU is still considering some possibilities. BYU made it clear they have talked to multiple conferences. They may have a contingency plan - Independence, Big Easy, or Big Country that they are keeping as an option or 2 while they cling to any tiny hope that Big 12, Big 10, or PAC 12 throw us a bone.



Independence is fine if we quit giving up home field and resist the temptation to overschedule.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
C
CougarClaw
I just want to see how many conferences Boise and TCU can be a part of before staying put.
I
Isola
I would be a little surprised if Boise State accepts the invite. There was already a big gap between the Big East and the other BCS conferences, and the recent changes aren't going to help.



And are they really interested in joining football only and trying to dump their other sports in the Big Sky or something?



IMO Boise State and BYU are starting to work together more and I would not be surprised if Boise State consults with BYU about this.



If Boise State is already looking for a landing spot for their other sports then do you think Boise State might actually look at independence? They too are an ESPN favorite. I actually wonder if they couldn't get pretty decent money from ESPN, possibly as much as they would get from the Big East and they wouldn't have to play the Big East schedule.
J
jrj84105
nm
G
Guest
Everyone is so convinced that BYU needs to be in a BCS conference, but not the "wrong" BCS conference.



There is no procedure for removing a BCS conference. If it is initiated in 2013/2014, it could take anywhere from a few years to half a dozen years.



If BYU were in a Western division of the Big Country conference and had 1 East coast trip a year we could walk all over that conference and get a couple of BCS wins in the time they're still a BCS conference.
Advertisement
G
Gunk
What's going to happen to BSU, AF and Navy's other sports?



Unless there is a guarantee of the Big East keeping its BCS status, which there isn't, I am fine with BYU staying independent.



Kind of think it would have been cool if BYU, BSU, Utah, TCU, Houston, AF, and SDSU just went and grabbed a couple other teams and formed their own new conference two years ago. I find it ironic all the have nots were united against the BCS and then the moment the haves opened the club up for new membership we're all changing our tune.



Two years ago the death of the BCS was on the horizon. Lawsuits and petitions were being made. All gone now with the flash of a little coin. And so goes human nature. I suspect if you threw a bail of cash into the OWS protestors they'd suddenly change their tune too.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
E
EM_Puma
The smell test...



All I can deduct from what we've actually seen happen is that either:

1) BYU has not agreed with enough conditions to be a viable addition to any of the BCS conferences

or

2) The networks, and those currently in power, do not want to be restricted by the no-Sunday play rule



Nothing else much makes sense.



We've been passed over by the PAC12, B12 and BE. Our "comparables" of school academics, sports, attendence figures, TV ratings, traditions, brand name--practically everything measurable, far out paces many of the schools that have invited (Boise State, Air Force, Utah, TCU, Navy, SMU, Central Florida) and yet we apparently have not been invited.



Despite having the metrics that we had been lead to believe over the decades mattered the most--All you have to do is smell the air and its now become obvious that for reasons that the BYU administration doesn't want to discuss at present, we will not be invited to the party.



We only really need two simple things:

1) AQ access, none of this "have to" be in the top 2 BCS positions

2) The ability to schedule decent competition especially for home games



#1 could be easier than #2, which could be very difficult, especially in this conference realignment atmosphere. Hopefully when the dust settles there will be some sort of fruit yet to pick, but it's hard to be optimistic.



We do overlook the huge advantage we have with BYUtv. We may not have the most lucrative TV contract, but we have exposure unlike anyone besides Notre Dame despite only being 6-3 and having lost our three most difficult games.
A
a1247
Could it be that BYU thinks there "name brand" is bigger than it really is? Could it be that TH and others is thinking BYU is bigger than they are and is screwing up any talks with the other conferences. 1 Month ago if I had told you the Air Force and SMU would be in a BCS conference and BYU would not be everyone would have called me crazy. Think about it TCU in less than a year has gotten 2 BCS conference invites and BYU can't get even 1 invite. What is going on here? I find it hard to believe that the no Sunday play is the only issue. Something else has got to be going on and I hope its not because BYU thinks there bigger than they really are. No one outside of those who follow BYU cares about BYUTV, im pretty sure Texas and other college football fans are not looking up BYUTV on there tv guides to see when the BYU replays on. If BYUTV is the problem then IMO its hurting more than its helping. Again thats my opinion. I want to be in a BCS conference I dont care if its the big (l)east or the B12 I just want in! And it makes me sick to think of Utah, Boise State, TCU and now Air Force as being a BCS school and BYU's not!



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
C
Cougarbib
a1247 wrote:
Could it be that BYU thinks there "name brand" is bigger than it really is? Could it be that TH and others is thinking BYU is bigger than they are and is screwing up any talks with the other conferences. 1 Month ago if I had told you the Air Force and SMU would be in a BCS conference and BYU would not be everyone would have called me crazy. Think about it TCU in less than a year has gotten 2 BCS conference invites and BYU can't get even 1 invite. What is going on here? I find it hard to believe that the no Sunday play is the only issue. Something else has got to be going on and I hope its not because BYU thinks there bigger than they really are. No one outside of those who follow BYU cares about BYUTV, im pretty sure Texas and other college football fans are not looking up BYUTV on there tv guides to see when the BYU replays on. If BYUTV is the problem then IMO its hurting more than its helping. Again thats my opinion. I want to be in a BCS conference I dont care if its the big (l)east or the B12 I just want in! And it makes me sick to think of Utah, Boise State, TCU and now Air Force as being a BCS school and BYU's not!



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">


U forgot UCF with Temple being mentioned too. But it ain't over. BYU will not get an invite until they pretty much guarantee they will accept one. Living outside of Utah, I hate to see the ESPN and BYU TV go away unless someone else is going to show it. That is huge.



Bronco stated that he had hoped Hawaii now that Utah won't - would become our annual last game of the season. After this year, he said, even UH won't be able to do that. This is the achilles Heel of INdependence - was anticipated to be and may turn out worse than anticipated. Might need to suck up to some MWC teams if we stay INdy. Some of you really like that idea.



I would rather be blowing out New Mexico or UNLV instead of Idaho State. I would rather do home and away with SDSU than 2 for 1s with TCU, Texas, and ND East.



Independence absolutley will not work if we do not win. We need to schedule to win.



But it is so quiet these days, imho, becasue BYU still has a glimmmer of Big 12 hope if W. Va can't leave next year, and Big East is holding one seat at the table, in case we commit to them.



Barring that - Big Country is looking beter and better by the minute if we can keep broadcast games for anything the conference contract does not grab.



I think we can step up a level or two and compete in The Big East. We can compete in Big Country. IDK about Big 12 - might be mediocre to horrible most years.
E
EM_Puma
a1247 wrote:
Could it be that BYU thinks there "name brand" is bigger than it really is? [ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">


That's always a possibility, but Jimmer Fredette and Brandon Davies has caused BYU to be pretty visible these days. I was astonished at how many hits Riley Nelson's high-five of the ref in the TCU game received. It was heading toward 600K when ESPN ordered it down for copyright issues (it would have been nice if they would have linked it on their site, but a search of ESPN.com turned out nothing). There were so many apparently non-BYU fans that saw the clip and commented on it.



BYU is not "The" name brand and probably doesn't hit the top-ten, but they are leaps and bounds over the teams from non-AQ conferences that have recently been invited to participate in new conferences.
Page 1 of 2
This is an archived topic from the original CougarCorner forum. New replies are not accepted.