Archived Topic

Change of Discussion-Will ESPN renew our contract in 8 yrs?

by scott715 · 11/1/2011

Advertisement
S
scott715
Rumors are saying that ESPN has been driving the conference reallignment to suit their needs. Were we being used without our knowing it? Will we be attactive in 8 years? Have we served our purpose and then get tossed to the curb?
S
SpiffCoug
Who knows? That's a long time away.
C
Cougs_Rule
What did you expect after our chasing the harlot Isabel? She (ESPN) will spit us out just as soon or if we drop into obscurity within the 8 years--ala Kim Kardashian, and/or effectively turn her back on us, hip-bumping us out the door, unless we remain relevant to the college football landscape. Never mind in 8 years. The next few years is what we ought to care about.

We will create our destiny. If we produce and stay relevant (make her money) then we will either re-up or be realigned or possibly maligned. :-)
A
ABYUFAN
Or, in 8 years, will we need ESPN?
G
Gunk
If we win and actually go to a BCS bowl within the next 8 years, ESPN will renew.



ESPN, for the most part, likes us. So, as long as we keep our end of the bargin (win games) they'll do all they can to keep us. I don't blame them with being a bit selfish with us at this point. We become nationally relevant they stand to make a lot of money.
Advertisement
Y
Y12
That depends on Tanner Mangum.



Let's shelf this discussion at least until Mangum is the starter.
C
CougarClaw
ESPN will have a lot more data about just what we're worth after 8 years worth of football and basketball games. I think our TV numbers this year are on the low side, but just wait until we go undefeated for the first games, or beat good teams again. Not only will those numbers go up, so will our value.



so yeah, what they said above. Win games.
M
MTM
Y12 wrote:
That depends on Tanner Mangum.



Let's shelf this discussion at least until Mangum is the starter.


Good grief you guys like to heap (pun intended) expectations on young QBs! TIC ;)
D
Dcr36
MTM wrote:
That depends on Tanner Mangum.



Let's shelf this discussion at least until Mangum is the starter.


Good grief you guys like to heap (pun intended) expectations on young QBs! TIC ;)


Tanner Mangum is a soft prettyboy headcase QB who's never faced a day of adversity and only cares about his NFL career.



I'm TOTALLY on the Alex Kuresa train. Kid plays with fire, heart and determination. ;)
F
frdbtr
Dcr36 wrote:
Y12 wrote:
That depends on Tanner Mangum.



Let's shelf this discussion at least until Mangum is the starter.


Good grief you guys like to heap (pun intended) expectations on young QBs! TIC ;)


Tanner Mangum is a soft prettyboy headcase QB who's never faced a day of adversity and only cares about his NFL career.



I'm TOTALLY on the Alex Kuresa train. Kid plays with fire, heart and determination. ;)


Bwahahahah!!! post of the day :lol:
Advertisement
S
SpiffCoug
When our contract is nearing expiration in 2018, Mangum could be a senior, so his play could likely play a role.

2011: HS SR

2012: Misison

2013: Mission

2014: Redshirt

2015: RS FR

2016: RS SO

2017: RS JR

2018: RS SR
L
Lawboy
No pressure Mangum. Jeeze. Have we not learned anything from the last 2 seasons??!!!



I think Bronco has recruited pretty well the last 3-4 years, and we will start seeing it over the next 2 years. Of course, we need our QB play to allow this to happen. But I think our line play improves on both sides of the ball, and that will be a big deal. Our Oline play has to improve, and our Dline needs to pressure better. When we add those two factors, we allow the rest of the team to make plays.
B
Brayden Green
I'm actually worried about them buying our contract out in the next 2-3 years.



If we make it through the full 8 I'll be ecstatic. At our current level of play and scheduling, we leave much to be desired.
D
Dcr36
BlueIsBetter wrote:
I'm actually worried about them buying our contract out in the next 2-3 years.



If we make it through the full 8 I'll be ecstatic. At our current level of play and scheduling, we leave much to be desired.


I doubt they'll buy out the contract in 2-3 years. SoS and quality of play are only relevant as far as they influence ratings. If people watch the games, we're fine. I haven't heard much in terms of solid figures, but I've read that the numbers have been decent in terms of viewership.



Plus, we're getting the deluxe treatment right now. I don't know what the contract stipulates, but I'd bet that if ESPN wants, they can relegate us to ESPN2 and ESPNU for a lot of the games, which still wouldn't be that bad.
Advertisement
S
SpiffCoug
I've seen some ratings of BYU games this year of being in the 0.6 to 1.8 range. Those aren't bad numbers, and certainly not bad enough to see BYU dismissed from ESPN.



MLS would love to pull ratings like that on a regular basis.
M
mormonrasta
There's absolutely no doubt that ESPN will renew with BYU, if BYU wants them to because ESPN's investment in BYU is minimal.
C
CougarClaw
AND don't fredette, ESPN does have scheduling power. If BYU not getting the rating ESPN wants, we get a few more games with USC, Florida and Rutgers.



It's not just us.
S
snoscythe
SpiffCoug wrote:
I've seen some ratings of BYU games this year of being in the 0.6 to 1.8 range. Those aren't bad numbers, and certainly not bad enough to see BYU dismissed from ESPN.



MLS would love to pull ratings like that on a regular basis.


TCU-BYU was a 0.3. It was going head-to-head on a Friday night (horrible timeslot for ratings) against the World Series game 7, which pulled a 7.4 and obliterated anything else on TV that night. The only other shows to crack into the 1's were "A Gifted Man," "Extreme Makeover: Home Edition," "Chuck," and "Gold Rush."



However, for bad news that game did get beat by shows like "Fashion Police Weekly."
C
Cougarbib
I am on the wait and see what they can actually do on the field train. You just never know.



Sometimes a 2 or 3 from a small school is under-rated because of their school or league, but have a ton of upside.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
Page 1 of 2
This is an archived topic from the original CougarCorner forum. New replies are not accepted.