Archived Topic

Has Doman Improved

by SpiffCoug · 11/1/2011

Advertisement
S
SpiffCoug
He clearly struggled calling plays out of the gate. Has he gotten better?
C
cougarblue333
Hadn't really thought about it till I saw the question. Could be that Riley's running and the discovery of Alisa has covered up some deficiencies but I haven't been shakin my head as much wondering where that play call came from since the Texas game.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
B
Brayden Green
Yes. Playcalling has been much, much better since the first couple games.



But whomever came up with the "not so fake or deceptive" fake field goal needs to walk over a bed of coals using only their hands.



that was in my opinion where the momentum shifted for the rest of the game (not including the Riley Turnovers) if we score a FG there, it is 14-13 and imo a different ballgame.



I like the idea of faking it if you are actually going to fake it. Not "run" an offensive play with your scrub FG team.
B
BoiseBYU
He has adjusted well during games--going to the no huddle early against TCU helped change the game around and got our team back in it....
D
Dcr36
cougarblue333 wrote:
Hadn't really thought about it till I saw the question.


Actually pretty good proof that it's gotten better. It was hard NOT to think about the playcalling, especially in the first two games.



In hindsight, pretty good break-in season for Doman schedule-wise. Not too many hard opponents, and with the early losses, not too high of stakes.



I wasn't in favor of the Anae firing (not that I thought he was great - I just like sticking with a known quantity), but I'll happily support Doman as long as he keeps improving. It'd be cool if Doman could develop into the type of OC that makes inspired decisions and gameplans that make the difference in tough games, but for the next year or two I'm happy with "playcalling that doesn't call attention to itself by being horrifically stupid."
Advertisement
M
Mars


You know, people give Michael Alisa a lot of credit for the offensive improvement. Then again, Alisa had like 1.5 yards per carry against TCU, and yet the RB core (JJ) and the offense themselves still moved the ball extremely well. We lost due to special teams and turnovers, both of which are hard to tag on Doman.



So though he ain't a great OC yet by any means, yes, he definitely appears to have shown improvement thus far.
G
Guest
A more apt question may be, has Doman improved enough to be the OC next year?



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
C
cougarblue333
Good point from Mars about the lack of production from Alisa during the TCU game. Our most productive RB was Diluigi and Doman found a play that worked, the quick belly option to Diluigi, and stuck with it. Doman didn't keep banging his head against the wall trying something that wasn't working but found a weakness and exploited it.

I am growing more confidant in Doman's ability as an OC and playcaller.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
G
Gunk
Yes. IMO play calling has gotten better. He doesn't seem to be trying to stretch things too much, focusing more on basics.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
G
Gunk
hawkwing wrote:
A more apt question may be, has Doman improved enough to be the OC next year?



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">


Bronco will give him another year. I think Doman is improving. People who are wanting a change at OC need to be a bit more patient. To assume Doman would be able to come in and surpass Anae in his first year is a little far fetched.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
Advertisement
C
Cougarpoke
Personally I think Doman improved with Nelson because of Nelson's ability to run and create plays. Jake would have gotten sacked a lot in that TCU game. Nelson's doesn't have the arm to make a lot of the same throws most qb's can, and when the coverage is good, he can kill a team with his legs. I think that alone has given Doman some breathing room. Alisa was great in prior games, but TCU knew what we were going to do and keyed in on him. They didn't plan well for JJ and that is why he killed them. Doman will continue to improve, but I don't really see much of a difference in his play calling than that of Anae's. Maybe I haven't been paying as much attention, but it looks really similar.
G
golong
Doman's best play call of the year is pulling Heaps and putting in Nelson in the USU game. Brilliant move!
S
stuckinbig10country
I would say in some ways he's already surpassed Anae.
P
pjmuli
Doman has improved, but I am not sure how much he has improved (yet)...one thing that is really common with this BYU team is having to take timeouts at the oddest, and worst possible times. That is coaching process.



I still think Doman will do really well. I think he should drop doing both the OC and the quarterback coaching bit.
S
SpiffCoug
pjmuli wrote:
Doman has improved, but I am not sure how much he has improved (yet)...one thing that is really common with this BYU team is having to take timeouts at the oddest, and worst possible times. That is coaching process.



I still think Doman will do really well. I think he should drop doing both the OC and the quarterback coaching bit.

The timeouts are still being wasted. The timeout against TCU was really costly because it gave TCU coaches a chance to tell their team to watch for the fake.



If Doman drops one of his two responsibilities (OC and QB coach), who is going to double up on duties? We're only allowed so many coaches. Someone will have to coach the QBs who is already on staff.



I actually like having the OC be the QB coach since it's the QB who actually runs the offense the OC is trying to implement.
Advertisement
F
frdbtr
SpiffCoug wrote:
Doman has improved, but I am not sure how much he has improved (yet)...one thing that is really common with this BYU team is having to take timeouts at the oddest, and worst possible times. That is coaching process.



I still think Doman will do really well. I think he should drop doing both the OC and the quarterback coaching bit.

The timeouts are still being wasted. The timeout against TCU was really costly because it gave TCU coaches a chance to tell their team to watch for the fake.



If Doman drops one of his two responsibilities (OC and QB coach), who is going to double up on duties? We're only allowed so many coaches. Someone will have to coach the QBs who is already on staff.



I actually like having the OC be the QB coach since it's the QB who actually runs the offense the OC is trying to implement.


You mean the fake that wasn't a fake? We just made a change at QB and put in a guy that wouldn't have run the play as well as the guy that was in there the first place. I couldn't believe it when I saw a guy in there I had never heard of. I hate it when coaches out think themselves. If you are going to go for it on 4th down call an acual fake or just leave your best guy in there to run the non fake.
B
Brayden Green
frdbtr wrote:
pjmuli wrote:
Doman has improved, but I am not sure how much he has improved (yet)...one thing that is really common with this BYU team is having to take timeouts at the oddest, and worst possible times. That is coaching process.



I still think Doman will do really well. I think he should drop doing both the OC and the quarterback coaching bit.

The timeouts are still being wasted. The timeout against TCU was really costly because it gave TCU coaches a chance to tell their team to watch for the fake.



If Doman drops one of his two responsibilities (OC and QB coach), who is going to double up on duties? We're only allowed so many coaches. Someone will have to coach the QBs who is already on staff.



I actually like having the OC be the QB coach since it's the QB who actually runs the offense the OC is trying to implement.


You mean the fake that wasn't a fake? We just made a change at QB and put in a guy that wouldn't have run the play as well as the guy that was in there the first place. I couldn't believe it when I saw a guy in there I had never heard of. I hate it when coaches out think themselves. If you are going to go for it on 4th down call an acual fake or just leave your best guy in there to run the non fake.


Exactly. On 4th and 3 there is no one on our roster I want on the field more than Riley. And that includes a 180 PER Heaps. You can do SO MANY things on 4th and 3 with a mobile qb. To stick your second and third teamers in there and hike the ball was 1 million percent rookie.



If that was Doman, that uses up his get out of jail free card. If he does something stupid like that again against good competition, costing us momentum and eventually the game, then he should expect to be lit up.
C
cougarnerd
golong wrote:
Doman's best play call of the year is pulling Heaps and putting in Nelson in the USU game. Brilliant move!


Exactly. That was a critical decision. He made the right call.



I think that he's been doing better now than earlier in the year--regardless of who's playing quarterback at that specific time.
S
snoscythe
I think Doman has improved, but I don't know if his playcalling has improved.



Here's where Doman has improved--playcalling tempo and halftime adjustments (only moderate improvement in the halftime realm tho).



Here's where the jury is out--with Heaps we couldn't tell how well Doman was calling plays because they weren't being executed. Heaps was locking into hot routes and calling run plays to the wrong side. With Nelson we can't tell how well Doman is calling plays because so much of what Nelson does is improvisation and not necessarily what was called.



Doman has a lot to prove to me. I really wish we would have gone with Bob Bostad instead of promoting group-think, but I think Bronco is learning a lesson about entitlement among his coaching staff too--just because a guy thinks like you and knows the passing game doesn't mean he's ready to be OC. The basic building block of an offensive playbook is the line blocking schemes, and nothing in Doman's career has given him any experience with that, and it shows in games, and it partially explains why Heaps is such a practice all star since the role of the line is reduced in scrimmages with the QB in a green jersey.
This is an archived topic from the original CougarCorner forum. New replies are not accepted.