Archived Topic

Your expectations for opening non-con games

by Dcr36 · 11/1/2011

Advertisement
D
Dcr36
According to BYU's website, we play the following teams before conference play starts:



@USU

BYU-H



CIT Tourney:

vs. Longwood

vs. Prairie View A&M

vs. Nevada

vs. Bradley/Wisconsin



@Northern Arizona

vs. Oregon

vs. Weber State

@ :utard:

vs. Baylor

vs. Buffalo

vs. UC-Santa Barbara

vs. Cal State San Marcos



Ranked opponents: Baylor and Wisconsin are both ranked in the top 15. A win against them would be nice. Other than that, none of our opponents are ranked or even receiving votes in either pre-season poll.



In-state: I'm chalking up USU as a probable loss. I know nothing about them this year, but I know we're playing in the Spectrum, and that never ends well. Everything I've read about Utah leads me to believe that, barring a coaching miracle, they're going to be just as inept this year as the last two years. I've read that Weber State looks pretty good this year, but we still should win.



Others: As a general rule I always assume BYU should beat teams from universities I've never heard of, so I'm assuming Longwood, Prairie View, and CSSM should be wins.



BYU-H nearly won the D-II championship last year, but once again, we should beat them.



Not too worried about UC-SB.



I know nothing about Oregon's team other than they play on the ugliest court in basketball.



I think 10-3 is my realistic expectation. We'll lose to Baylor, Wisconsin, and USU, but will win the others. Knocking off Baylor or Wisconsin would be huge, though.
Q
Qman
I think we will lose to USU, Wisconsin and Baylor. And we will lose one other game we shouldn't.
G
Gunk
10 - 3



We'll drop a game we were expected to drop and drop two other close ones that we should have won. We'll win one that we weren't "expected" to.



USU will be tough, but with Wesley gone (last year's leading scorer/leading rebounder) we should be able to handle them.
Q
Qman
Gunk wrote:
10 - 3



We'll drop a game we were expected to drop and drop two other close ones that we should have won. We'll win one that we weren't "expected" to.



USU will be tough, but with Wesley gone (last year's leading scorer/leading rebounder) we should be able to handle them.


That is a good point- without Wesley or Bendall they don't have a proven post threat. I wonder how they will pickup the scoring slack.
G
Gunk
Qman wrote:
10 - 3



We'll drop a game we were expected to drop and drop two other close ones that we should have won. We'll win one that we weren't "expected" to.



USU will be tough, but with Wesley gone (last year's leading scorer/leading rebounder) we should be able to handle them.


That is a good point- without Wesley or Bendall they don't have a proven post threat. I wonder how they will pickup the scoring slack.


Forgot about Bendall. I have no idea who they have that can fill the void. So maybe it will easier than I thought. They always come out swinging, though, literally at times.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
Advertisement
Q
Qman
If we can keep the TO's to a minimum at USU I expect our size advantage to tell in the end.
M
Mars
Dcr36 wrote:
@USU

vs. Nevada

vs. Bradley / Wisconsin

vs. Oregon

vs. Baylor
These seem to be our 5 most-losable games. Though maybe I'm under-rating Buffalo or another team.



My odds of winning?

40%

50%

30%

50%

20%



That puts us at about 4 losses, considering the Santa Barbara types.
S
scott715
8-3 are we on track with our expectations so far?
S
SpiffCoug
Yes, we shouldn't lose again in non-conference
G
Gunk
Yes, thought I expected we'd win against either Wisconsin or Baylor. Other than that, we're on track. Not a bad start and we're improving with each game.
Advertisement
S
scott715
WE're now 10-3 with one more gimme game before conference starts.
B
BYULV
Awesome, I just voted and got it right, 10-3! I wish there were a choice for 11-3, I would have chosen that one. ;)



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
M
Mars


Virginia Tech late in the season will be another tough, Baylor-esque game.
C
Cougarbib
If this team can avoid any further injuries and maybe even get Rodgers back and Cc for depth, the balance on this team will make them competitive in every game and they will only lose 2-3 more games in regular season.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
This is an archived topic from the original CougarCorner forum. New replies are not accepted.