Archived Topic

Scheme vs Execution

by HoosierCougar · 10/31/2011

Advertisement
H
HoosierCougar
At the half vs TCU the sideline reporter asked Bronco whether their challenges on D were fixable by scheme or execution. He surprised me (and I think others) when he said "Both".



The question of whether Bronco is unable or unwilling to make in-game adjustments has been posed before, and I'm not sure any of us know exactly...



The fact that he was willing to look at both vs TCU is encouraging.



Here's another question for the depths of Bronco's psyche: When battling fatigue (i.e. in the second half of a game), does execution still beat scheme?
M
mizzoucoug
To think that these "kids" can be trained to be robots is a tired idea after 7 years. To say "We'll run our same gameplan every week so watch out TCU!" is mind-bogglingly stupid. Get them pumped up. Teach them to want to tear up the big name opponents. Let them know that you want them to punish the other team, coach. This general conference coaching style is complete BS and simply guarantees that we will remain a decently thought of non-BCS program.
N
northerncougar
mizzoucoug wrote:
To think that these "kids" can be trained to be robots is a tired idea after 7 years. To say "We'll run our same gameplan every week so watch out TCU!" is mind-bogglingly stupid. Get them pumped up. Teach them to want to tear up the big name opponents. Let them know that you want them to punish the other team, coach. This general conference coaching style is complete BS and simply guarantees that we will remain a decently thought of non-BCS program.


Uh, be careful with this kind of talk. You will make some people really made.



You are 100% correct, but that doesn't mean much to some people.
F
frdbtr
mizzoucoug wrote:
To think that these "kids" can be trained to be robots is a tired idea after 7 years. To say "We'll run our same gameplan every week so watch out TCU!" is mind-bogglingly stupid. Get them pumped up. Teach them to want to tear up the big name opponents. Let them know that you want them to punish the other team, coach. This general conference coaching style is complete BS and simply guarantees that we will remain a decently thought of non-BCS program.


So I read this BS and then I listen to former players at BYU talk about not liking being on defense after a game because they had to deal with Bronco. Who do I choose to believe? :roll:
L
Lawboy
I blame our offense this year. Young OC, QB issues, leadership issues, turnovers, etc. Perhaps Bronco needs to get more hands on with his O, but his D is solid. Made huge strides last year when he rook over, played with heart, and the D still does. We just have some personnel this year. Give it two years then let's talk. Recruiting will improve many weaknesses. Just need some missions end to end, because we are about to see the overall depth and skill go up. When it does, then we can judge more fairly.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
Advertisement
M
mizzoucoug
frdbtr wrote:
To think that these "kids" can be trained to be robots is a tired idea after 7 years. To say "We'll run our same gameplan every week so watch out TCU!" is mind-bogglingly stupid. Get them pumped up. Teach them to want to tear up the big name opponents. Let them know that you want them to punish the other team, coach. This general conference coaching style is complete BS and simply guarantees that we will remain a decently thought of non-BCS program.


So I read this BS and then I listen to former players at BYU talk about not liking being on defense after a game because they had to deal with Bronco. Who do I choose to believe? :roll:


Gimme a break. Results, patterns, statistics, interviews, and years of experience may not be everything but to think all is fine and dandy because the players don't like the "loving chastising" they get after the game is funny.



How about some fire during the week? How about instead of halftime testimony meetings some kids get their butts on the bench after repeated mistakes?
S
Schmoe
I like that fans know what goes on behind closed doors, at practice, and during halftime meetings. Where can I get the pass to attend private team meetings?
A
a1247
Schmoe wrote:
I like that fans know what goes on behind closed doors, at practice, and during halftime meetings. Where can I get the pass to attend private team meetings?




I'll see what I can do to get you one of these golden tickets.

I think what fans have a hard time with is a perceived notion that BM doesnt show any fire or drive like a Gary Patterson. And sometimes its hard to not wonder what happens behind close doors. I as a fan get sick of the same BS talk about getting to a higher level and we dont prepare or change from one team to another. Sometimes it would be nice to beable to hear the fire in his voice for the up coming game. It hard to decide what he enjoyes more, coaching or the Friday night fireside.
C
Cougarbib
Lawboy wrote:
I blame our offense this year. Young OC, QB issues, leadership issues, turnovers, etc. Perhaps Bronco needs to get more hands on with his O, but his D is solid. Made huge strides last year when he rook over, played with heart, and the D still does. We just have some personnel this year. Give it two years then let's talk. Recruiting will improve many weaknesses. Just need some missions end to end, because we are about to see the overall depth and skill go up. When it does, then we can judge more fairly.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">

OK re the execution part, but this does not address the scheme part. Two times tne QB waltzed into the enzone on Wildcat untouched. Recruiting willn ot solve that. It was a scheme issue. It was poor preparation. The mismatch reception on Ogletree was a mismatch that should not have happened. Lack of preparation alowed TCU to punch us wit that before we adjusted. Three touchdowns LawBoy. Scheme and preparation.
S
Schmoe
a1247 wrote:
I like that fans know what goes on behind closed doors, at practice, and during halftime meetings. Where can I get the pass to attend private team meetings?




I'll see what I can do to get you one of these golden tickets.

I think what fans have a hard time with is a perceived notion that BM doesnt show any fire or drive like a Gary Patterson. And sometimes its hard to not wonder what happens behind close doors. I as a fan get sick of the same BS talk about getting to a higher level and we dont prepare or change from one team to another. Sometimes it would be nice to beable to hear the fire in his voice for the up coming game. It hard to decide what he enjoyes more, coaching or the Friday night fireside.


So, maybe fans should pay more attention and change their perception.



Which do you think he should enjoy more (coaching vs firesides)? Does it really matter?
This is an archived topic from the original CougarCorner forum. New replies are not accepted.