Archived Topic

BYU vs MWSU

by BroncoBot · 10/30/2011

Advertisement
B
BroncoBot
:~( I miss Jimmer. It's going to take a while to get used to his absence.



HAving said that, Rogers is looking good as does BYU in general for the first game of the year.



BASKETBALL!!!!!!!!!
B
BYUBALLIN
iam excited for this season...BYU is gonna use the whole team this year, Brandon really gonna shine this season.
B
BroncoBot
BYUBALLIN wrote:
iam excited for this season...BYU is gonna use the whole team this year, Brandon really gonna shine this season.

Brandon looked pretty rusty for the couple minutes I watched him play. Hope he's ready to rock.
D
Dcr36
Never thought I'd see Mike Loyd back on the Marriott hardwood.



Not too worried about Davies, he looked really rusty early last year, too. Get him on the court, and he's trouble. Tonight, he screwed around and got a double-double.
Q
Qman
Things I learned tonight-



-Abouo has improved his footwork and consistency on his jumper- he now can comfortable his a curl jumper



-Winder is a much better ballhander than I knew- he also looked more comfortable and made some nice moves to the hoop.



-Zylstra did better than my expectations at making it difficult for Mike Loyd Jr to get into the lane and funneled him towards help. He isn't going to be able to pressure ball handlers. But if he can keep them our the lane that might be enough.



-Rodgers has improved his pull up jumper.
Advertisement
C
Cougs_Rule
Dcr36 wrote:
Never thought I'd see Mike Loyd back on the Marriott hardwood.



Not too worried about Davies, he looked really rusty early last year, too. Get him on the court, and he's trouble. Tonight, he screwed around and got a double-double.


No puns intended, right ;-)



This could be a well balanced team--which is a great identity, except that it will be interesting to see how well they will gel against decent competition. Im a little worried, but way too early. No real "go-to" guy--but we were so used to Jimmer. Outside shooting has me a little worried as well. MWSU is a top 10 D2 program, They had some good moments.
B
beauso79
Watched the game and came away impressed with our front line. We out rebounded them with ease. Our back up PG's looked pretty sad. We're going to have to rely on Harrison a lot this year and I came away pretty impressed with his game for a freshman. We have the making to have an extremely well balanced team once Carlino joins the fold. I'd much rather see Zylstra filling in at the 2 though. Abouo stills plays a little out of control at times. I think Rogers has the ability to be the X factor. I think Davies is going to have to become our go to guy and I hope he's ready for it



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
Q
Qman
beauso79 wrote:
Watched the game and came away impressed with our front line. We out rebounded them with ease. Our back up PG's looked pretty sad. We're going to have to rely on Harrison a lot this year and I came away pretty impressed with his game for a freshman. We have the making to have an extremely well balanced team once Carlino joins the fold. I'd much rather see Zylstra filling in at the 2 though. Abouo stills plays a little out of control at times. I think Rogers has the ability to be the X factor. I think Davies is going to have to become our go to guy and I hope he's ready for it



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">

I can totally see Rodgers scoring in bunches and making his own runs of 8-10 points.



On the go to guy thing- at the moment it has to be Davies. IMO only Carlino and Harrison have the talent to create something out of nothing. But they aren't experienced enough to count on.



Abouo was horribly out of control for the first 10 minutes of the game. But then he settled down and got good shots.
G
Guest
I was at the game, and here are my thoughts.



Abouo came out and looked absolutely terrible. He was playing reckless and out of control. For the first 10 minutes, he was worse than even Martineau. Luckily he came out in the 2nd half and looked like he had been replaced by an exact duplicate, except the new Abouo could play basketball. Night and day difference. I hope I see a lot of the 2nd Abouo and never see the first Abouo again.



Stephen Rogers is going to have to be a big time scorer for us, and he looked pretty good. I wish he weren't so stick skinny though, same with Harrison. There's a lot of skinny guys on this team.



Brock is looking good enough on the defensive end of the game, and he's bringing up the ball and dishing it out good enough. Not only that, he's big. I liked his game, but man does he need to work on his free throws. We made a nickname for him, Brick Zylstra.



Davies looked so much better than he did in the Cougar Tipoff. I'm was very relieved to see it. But he still looks like he needs to shake off some rust. Hope he lives up to that top 100 players hype he's got going on right now.



Noah Hartsock is the best player on the team right now, and it's not even close.
N
nuk13
hawkwing wrote:
I was at the game, and here are my thoughts.



Noah Hartsock is the best player on the team right now, and it's not even close.


You're the first to say anything about Hartsock. Didn't he get the most points and rebounds?
Advertisement
D
Dcr36
nuk13 wrote:
I was at the game, and here are my thoughts.



Noah Hartsock is the best player on the team right now, and it's not even close.


You're the first to say anything about Hartsock. Didn't he get the most points and rebounds?


http://stats.statbroadcast.com/statmonitr/?id=2602



Runner-up for both rebounds and points.



If I'm remembering this game correctly (MWSU and Tip-off are meshing in my memory) Hartsock got a lot of those points by being aggressive around the hoop. Lots of tip-ins.
N
nuk13
I also got mixed up, it was the tip off where Hartsock got 24 and 13.
Q
Qman
Hartsock played well but I wonder if most of his points came because MWSU was so undersized.
G
Guest
Qman wrote:
Hartsock played well but I wonder if most of his points came because MWSU was so undersized.


A valid point, and some thing to be aware of, but also true of every position on the floor.



Maybe what should be said is Hartsock is playing with the most effective hustle of anyone on the floor right now.
S
scott715
And what about his execution?
Advertisement
G
Guest
scott715 wrote:
And what about his execution?

High level.
C
Cougs_Rule
And I might add, he looked fresh; fresh legs, fresh defense, etc. He really was the warrior that this team needed to back up Jimmer with no other post presence after BD went out. BUt he looked tired and a bit slower than this year. Consider that Charles played the 4 in most games end of year. NOw he is the starting 2. So Noah has alot of help down low.

Noah also looks effective again on defense when he can come from back-side help.
G
Gunk
We're 9 days away from our first legit game. Can't wait!
This is an archived topic from the original CougarCorner forum. New replies are not accepted.