Archived Topic

Seems like I am the only one that saw a positive.

by tripwire · 10/29/2011

Advertisement
T
tripwire
To me BYU lost this game because of horrible execution on special teams and some really dumb plays by Riley.

However. I was encouraged by the fact that they kept fighting. This felt early on like it was going to be one of those games where the just give up. (Utah 2011, FSU 2009). but yet they at least made it into a game till near the end. In fact I thought that BYU had a legitimate shot at winning until that "targeting" penalty. I'm not blaming the refs for the loss but if they don't make such a bad call there who knows what happens.

I just wanted to give some credit to the players for a hard fought game.
C
cougman
I think that sorta speaks for itself. You know things aren't so peechy when you start praising your team for playing hard.



That's like praising the guy at the grocery store for giving you the correct change back.
B
BroncoBot
cougman wrote:

That's like praising the guy at the grocery store for giving you the correct change back.

Not really. You analogy would be more fitting if fans were praising something like a net positive rushing yards.
S
Schmoe
I agree, for such a "horrible" team we were in the game with a pretty good TCU the whole game, and without the mistakes we come away with a win. The thing that I think is frustrating to most, if not all, fans is this is going to be another season of should-have's and so-close's. We should have beaten Texas, should have beaten TCU, could have had a one-loss season and really make an impact in our first year of independence. I am encouraged by what I saw last night, though. Because the mistakes are easily correctable and the overall heart and effort of the team was evident from beginning to end.
C
cougman
declocoug wrote:

That's like praising the guy at the grocery store for giving you the correct change back.

Not really. You analogy would be more fitting if fans were praising something like a net positive rushing yards.


You don't expect BYU to play hard? You don't expect the clerk to give you the right change?
Advertisement
B
BroncoBot
cougman wrote:
cougman wrote:

That's like praising the guy at the grocery store for giving you the correct change back.

Not really. You analogy would be more fitting if fans were praising something like a net positive rushing yards.


You don't expect BYU to play hard? You don't expect the clerk to give you the right change?

Expect correct change? yes. But handing back change is mindless and unifactorial, very different than the psychology and emotions that are going through the heads of 22 guys.
N
NebraskaCoug
cougman wrote:
cougman wrote:

That's like praising the guy at the grocery store for giving you the correct change back.

Not really. You analogy would be more fitting if fans were praising something like a net positive rushing yards.


You don't expect BYU to play hard? You don't expect the clerk to give you the right change?

Just because you expect the clerk to give you the correct change doesn't mean he or she always does.



I agree wholeheartedly with the OP. Many of us are happy because, down 28-10 at halftime, this was exactly the type of game where the Cougs have given up in the past, especially to TCU. This game was a step forward in the TCU series, and in general. Gary Patterson, the team and the TCU fans were all very happy to come out with a win, and they should be. Between the targeting penalty and the PI call in the endzone there were some huge momentum changers by the officials in this game. Clearly, I don't fault the officials for the loss, because we beat ourselves, but BYU kept fighting and made the best of the mess they put themselves in, and that bodes well. Most of the problems we have all harped about all year long are mental. I'm not generally into "moral victories" in defeat, but we do need to take a moment to appreciate a small mental step forward even if it is expected.
B
BroncoBot
NebraskaCoug wrote:
declocoug wrote:

That's like praising the guy at the grocery store for giving you the correct change back.

Not really. You analogy would be more fitting if fans were praising something like a net positive rushing yards.


You don't expect BYU to play hard? You don't expect the clerk to give you the right change?

Just because you expect the clerk to give you the correct change doesn't mean he or she always does.



I agree wholeheartedly with the OP. Many of us are happy because, down 28-10 at halftime, this was exactly the type of game where the Cougs have given up in the past, especially to TCU. This game was a step forward in the TCU series, and in general. Gary Patterson, the team and the TCU fans were all very happy to come out with a win, and they should be. Between the targeting penalty and the PI call in the endzone there were some huge momentum changers by the officials in this game. Clearly, I don't fault the officials for the loss, because we beat ourselves, but BYU kept fighting and made the best of the mess they put themselves in, and that bodes well. Most of the problems we have all harped about all year long are mental. I'm not generally into "moral victories" in defeat, but we do need to take a moment to appreciate a small mental step forward even if it is expected.

Totally agree. BYU had blown both their feet off with mistakes and still TCU could only muster a 10 point win. We saw the best and the worst of BYU footbal last night of this season.
This is an archived topic from the original CougarCorner forum. New replies are not accepted.