L
LawboyComing into the 2011 season, the coaches talked about ahead of schedule this team was in terms of preparation. That has proven to be a major miscalculation. This team was not ready, and is still making some of the same mistakes in game 9 that it did early. We look sloppy, not sharp. This is a coaching issue.
Many times over hte years, many of us have talked about how BYU does not use it's full allotment of practice time. Not talking days, I am talking hours used in the day. Scrimmages ar shorter, as are practices. Bronco has stated that he does this to keep the team from injry, but it is clear that it is also keeping us from being sharp in the biggest games. We beat up on weak sisters, but in games vs equal caliber teams, or in games where we need t play up, we typically do not.
First off, the special teams mistakes were unacceptbale. We come out in weird splits at the line and just let TCU run free up the middle on us, and they got pressure all night long. THe first punt error was on the snapper and blocker. THE snap was to the right, and the blocker filled his lane too quickly and deflected the punt/ This should NEVER happen. The next poor punt was again on hte formation because Stephenson had t rush it to get it off due to pressure. Of course he basically shanked it. LAst one was totally on Stephenseon. But, TCU had set the tone of pressure and it was clear he was rushing things. I give Coach Howell a D- for his punt formations last night. Show me and NFL team that lines up lie he had us. there is a reason for it. You do not just let speed run at you up the middle.
The defense and secondary play once again was an issue. And who coaches the secondary? Coach Howell does. I am seeing a common link here. His units looked poor last night. They look poorly coached, not ready to handle when a team floods a deep zone. Travis Uale continues to blow his two deep assignments and is easily confused when teams attack his zone area with bodies. Been a problem all year and should have improved by now. EAson was better. Hadley/Sampson were solid. Sorensen was spotty. OUr secondary needs better coaching, plain and simple. And Coach Howell's units were not sharp.
Next, our O-line looks awful against fast, physical front 7's. They looked fat and slow last night. Riley got sacked like 6 times, and had pressure all game long. His ability to use his legs saved us all night long. OUr blocking schemes just stunk, the line missed many blocks, especially when TCU brought pressure. We were overmatched, and I am tired of our Oline looking so poor against the better teams. They need to play better. I saw Gurney claiming our Oline played good, but I disagree. They got outmatched on the outsides. And Coach Weber had another horrible night last night.
As to RIley NElson, dude needs to learn to take care of hte ball better. 3 turnovers himself, and all 3 on horrendous mental decisions. I get that he wants to avoid a sack--I should say another sack. It is clear why the oline loves him because he bails them out so often. BUt RIley needs to learn to eat it, or throw it away quicker. I do not recall RIley throwing a pass away all night. HE has to try to make a play, even when he shouldn't. HE needs to learn to throw it away sooner. Especially on 1st downs. His 2 BZ turnovers were both 1st down plays, and that is totally unacceptable. Take he sack even, you still have more downs. HAd they been 4th downs, I could live with it, but not on 1st down. Never.
After last night, clear to see where our coaching is weakest--Oline and secondary/special teams/QB coach. Has been that way all year. The fact we still struggle in those areas 9 games in tells me we either lack players in those areas, our coaching stinks in those areas, or we have scheme issues. I blame coaching and scheme the most.
Many times over hte years, many of us have talked about how BYU does not use it's full allotment of practice time. Not talking days, I am talking hours used in the day. Scrimmages ar shorter, as are practices. Bronco has stated that he does this to keep the team from injry, but it is clear that it is also keeping us from being sharp in the biggest games. We beat up on weak sisters, but in games vs equal caliber teams, or in games where we need t play up, we typically do not.
First off, the special teams mistakes were unacceptbale. We come out in weird splits at the line and just let TCU run free up the middle on us, and they got pressure all night long. THe first punt error was on the snapper and blocker. THE snap was to the right, and the blocker filled his lane too quickly and deflected the punt/ This should NEVER happen. The next poor punt was again on hte formation because Stephenson had t rush it to get it off due to pressure. Of course he basically shanked it. LAst one was totally on Stephenseon. But, TCU had set the tone of pressure and it was clear he was rushing things. I give Coach Howell a D- for his punt formations last night. Show me and NFL team that lines up lie he had us. there is a reason for it. You do not just let speed run at you up the middle.
The defense and secondary play once again was an issue. And who coaches the secondary? Coach Howell does. I am seeing a common link here. His units looked poor last night. They look poorly coached, not ready to handle when a team floods a deep zone. Travis Uale continues to blow his two deep assignments and is easily confused when teams attack his zone area with bodies. Been a problem all year and should have improved by now. EAson was better. Hadley/Sampson were solid. Sorensen was spotty. OUr secondary needs better coaching, plain and simple. And Coach Howell's units were not sharp.
Next, our O-line looks awful against fast, physical front 7's. They looked fat and slow last night. Riley got sacked like 6 times, and had pressure all game long. His ability to use his legs saved us all night long. OUr blocking schemes just stunk, the line missed many blocks, especially when TCU brought pressure. We were overmatched, and I am tired of our Oline looking so poor against the better teams. They need to play better. I saw Gurney claiming our Oline played good, but I disagree. They got outmatched on the outsides. And Coach Weber had another horrible night last night.
As to RIley NElson, dude needs to learn to take care of hte ball better. 3 turnovers himself, and all 3 on horrendous mental decisions. I get that he wants to avoid a sack--I should say another sack. It is clear why the oline loves him because he bails them out so often. BUt RIley needs to learn to eat it, or throw it away quicker. I do not recall RIley throwing a pass away all night. HE has to try to make a play, even when he shouldn't. HE needs to learn to throw it away sooner. Especially on 1st downs. His 2 BZ turnovers were both 1st down plays, and that is totally unacceptable. Take he sack even, you still have more downs. HAd they been 4th downs, I could live with it, but not on 1st down. Never.
After last night, clear to see where our coaching is weakest--Oline and secondary/special teams/QB coach. Has been that way all year. The fact we still struggle in those areas 9 games in tells me we either lack players in those areas, our coaching stinks in those areas, or we have scheme issues. I blame coaching and scheme the most.

