Archived Topic

How are we feeling?

by superchargedcougar · 10/29/2011

Advertisement
S
superchargedcougar
Thoughts on Nelson? I give him credit for his guts and attitude, but seriously some of those should-be sacks turned to TOs were ridiculous. Stephenson had his worst game of his career as well. I'm not too disappointed with our team. If you take away the isolated errors, we killed the game. Sadly, even though it takes a whole team to win a game, it only takes a few bad plays by a few players to lose one. I'm ok with a 10 win season considering how bad this team has looked at times
N
northerncougar
superchargedcougar wrote:
Thoughts on Nelson? I give him credit for his guts and attitude, but seriously some of those should-be sacks turned to TOs were ridiculous. Stephenson had his worst game of his career as well. I'm not too disappointed with our team. If you take away the isolated errors, we killed the game. Sadly, even though it takes a whole team to win a game, it only takes a few bad plays by a few players to lose one. I'm ok with a 10 win season considering how bad this team has looked at times


The problem is that we have been saying this way too often for way too long. Way too many excuses about what might have been.
Y
Y 4 Ever
superchargedcougar wrote:
If you take away the isolated errors, we killed the game.


This is true in almost any game. Guess what - those plays happened (again) and we lost to another mediocre-to-good team (again). The problem lies in the coaching. Bronco Mendenhall's teams are repeatedly unprepared for the above average teams that they face. And it shows - in the TO margin, in the "bone headed" plays, and on the scoreboard.



Quick, someone put together Bronco's record against teams that end the season with a winning record.
M
mormonrasta
Y 4 Ever wrote:
If you take away the isolated errors, we killed the game.


This is true in almost any game. Guess what - those plays happened (again) and we lost to another mediocre-to-good team (again). The problem lies in the coaching. Bronco Mendenhall's teams are repeatedly unprepared for the above average teams that they face. And it shows - in the TO margin, in the "bone headed" plays, and on the scoreboard.



Quick, someone put together Bronco's record against teams that end the season with a winning record.


From 2005-2010 Bronco is 18-17 vs. FBS teams that finished with a winning record.



FWIW, Lavell was 86-80-2
S
SpiffCoug
I'm feeling pretty good.



We actually moved the ball against we hadn't moved at all on the last three years.



We had a chance to get back in the game in the 4th quarter - improvement from the last three years' blowouts.



Our mistakes seem fixable through coaching ("gateman" on the punt formation coming in too early, punter dropping a deep snap, trying to make a play when "in the grass", etc).
Advertisement
Y
Y 4 Ever
SpiffCoug wrote:
I'm feeling pretty good.



We actually moved the ball against we hadn't moved at all on the last three years.



We had a chance to get back in the game in the 4th quarter - improvement from the last three years' blowouts.



Our mistakes seem fixable through coaching ("gateman" on the punt formation coming in too early, punter dropping a deep snap, trying to make a play when "in the grass", etc).

Moral victories are lame. Making stupid mistakes again and again is just plain unacceptable. Losing to a team that is not better than us....again....is, well, expected. Which makes it very sad.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
A
ABYUFAN
And, if my memory is correct, we got close to a million bucks last night.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
C
crh55
SpiffCoug wrote:
I'm feeling pretty good.



We actually moved the ball against we hadn't moved at all on the last three years.



We had a chance to get back in the game in the 4th quarter - improvement from the last three years' blowouts.



Our mistakes seem fixable through coaching ("gateman" on the punt formation coming in too early, punter dropping a deep snap, trying to make a play when "in the grass", etc).


I am feeling pretty good as well, knowing that we moved the ball, and put points on the board and weren't dominated like we have been the last 3 years. I'll take the moral victory that we matched them from a talent standpoint, instead of being manhandled like before. I know this defense isn't what it has been, but this offense put up a lot of yards.



What worries me is turnovers. I don't see that being corrected with Riley's gunslinger attitude. He wants to make plays so badly that he makes a lot of costly mistakes. How do you fix that? If he can get better at taking care of the ball, we have some big games next year where we can really prove ourselves. This team is still young and talented. But we can't keep beating ourselves.
S
SpiffCoug
Y 4 Ever wrote:
I'm feeling pretty good.



We actually moved the ball against we hadn't moved at all on the last three years.



We had a chance to get back in the game in the 4th quarter - improvement from the last three years' blowouts.



Our mistakes seem fixable through coaching ("gateman" on the punt formation coming in too early, punter dropping a deep snap, trying to make a play when "in the grass", etc).

Moral victories are lame. Making stupid mistakes again and again is just plain unacceptable. Losing to a team that is not better than us....again....is, well, expected. Which makes it very sad.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">

I can agree with that. I hope I wasn't trying to claim moral victories. Those positives I listed are helping me get over this loss pretty quick.
This is an archived topic from the original CougarCorner forum. New replies are not accepted.