Archived Topic

7 Years Running

by northerncougar · 10/29/2011

Advertisement
N
northerncougar
BYU has underperformed every year that Bronco has been the HC. After 7 years I have to accept the fact that he won't be able to figure it out.



It is rare to have a great coach, and BYU does not have a great coach. Good, but not great.



Every year we have had at least one game where the loss was baffling, or we barely won because we had multiple NFL players on the field, when we should have won easily.



It's sad really. I think Bronco is a great guy, but this will continue as long as Bronco is the HC.
D
Dwight
He is a good fit for BYU. I would have no reservations sending my son to play for him. I really find myself wanting to see him succeed and I think he eventually will. Until that time comes, I am willing to be patient and enjoy the many small successes that come each year.



I had the pleasure of meeting one of his old college roomates from OSU last year. This man is a former NFL corner, and a very successful business man. He had nothing but good things to say about Bronco and his character.



If loosing a few games every year bothers you, you might prefer a neurotic guy that keeps pulling up his pants, tying his shoes, and yelling the F-word at his players while on national TV.
A
ABYUFAN
I think that we have a good, but not great coach, I think that he's improving, I think that next year can be special



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
G
Gunk
There is a pattern. One which I hope Bronco recognizes and makes the proper changes to overcome. Anyone that denies such is naive.



However, you can't consider replacing a coach unless you have a better option in the wings. It's like California kicking out Pete Wilson as govenor and replacing him with the Governator.



Want an elite coach at BYU? Sure. Who wouldn't. But we don't have one waiting in the wings. So, we must be patient and hope Bronco improves.



Keep in mind, most the mistakes in this game came from the offense. That's Doman's area. I think once again we're saw the effects of a new OC in over his head; an ill-prepared/conditioned offense.



The defense gave the offense plenty of chances, only for the offense to march down the field and turn it over.
S
stuckinbig10country
Gunk wrote:
There is a pattern. One which I hope Bronco recognizes and makes the proper changes to overcome. Anyone that denies such is naive.



However, you can't consider replacing a coach unless you have a better option in the wings. It's like California kicking out Pete Wilson as govenor and replacing him with the Governator.



Want an elite coach at BYU? Sure. Who wouldn't. But we don't have one waiting in the wings. So, we must be patient and hope Bronco improves.



Keep in mind, most the mistakes in this game came from the offense. That's Doman's area. I think once again we're saw the effects of a new OC in over his head; an ill-prepared/conditioned offense.



The defense gave the offense plenty of chances, only for the offense to march down the field and turn it over.


This loss was squarely on special teams. Even with the turnovers, BYU scored more against TCU than they had the 3 previous games combined with an "experienced" OC.
Advertisement
D
DarthMagnus
Who would be better than Bronco? Or should I say, who would be better than Bronco AND willing to come to BYU?



BYU is not a "destination school". There might be a few coaches out there who would be interested in taking the BYU job but I doubt any of them would be capable of doing better than Mendenhall has done.



We pay our coaches less, there are strict rules for player conduct, oversight by a religious body that isn't always easy to understand and the list goes on.



Of course, BYU is a special place and there are positive aspects to that specialness as well as some obstacles, but the fact of the matter is that it is unlikely that you will find a better coach who is willing to embrace BYU and not fight it.



Our lack of elite success is due to more than just coaching though. People like to say BYU is under achieving or not performing up to their potential while throwing around words like "disappointment" etc. The fact is, at some point BYU will play programs that can recruit amazing athletes across the board. BYU tries to showcase the elite athletes they are lucky enough to come by, but they are just trying to plug holes with mediocre talent every where else. Coaching can't solve that. Recruiting at BYU can't even solve that, unless 5 star athletes suddenly want to live the honor code and live in Provo.



I'm sure people will be frustrated with the coaching anyways but the question remains. Who could BYU legitimately lure that is going to do better?



My guess is that BYU's next 5 years will look about like the last 5. If BYU is to break the bubble they are in and enjoy some elite success, they would probably have to pay somebody a ridiculous amount of money. That isn't going to happen, so i'm happy taking chances with the best reasonable option, and that is Bronco.
M
mizzoucoug
Bronco is a great DC, but he will never be thought of as a great HC.
S
stuckinbig10country
Funny, before the season people (including myself) were talking about how the one day it would be Bronco Mendenhall Field and Lavell Edwards Stadium.
N
northerncougar
Just because I have accepted that Bronco will never be an elite coach doesn't mean that I want him fired. I believe that he has the highest character and is a fantastic person. I would love to have my son mentored by him.



But, after 7 years of the same thing I have accepted that he will never be at the elite level. You can accept that and still be okay that he is the HC at BYU. We are unique but we aren't great and won't be under Bronco.



He is a great guy who has taken BYU as far as he can. No shame in that it just is what it is.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
A
ABYUFAN
northerncougar wrote:



He is a great guy who has taken BYU as far as he can. No shame in that it just is what it is.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">


I think that his best is still ahead



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
Advertisement
C
Cougs_Rule
northerncougar wrote:
Just because I have accepted that Bronco will never be an elite coach doesn't mean that I want him fired. I believe that he has the highest character and is a fantastic person. I would love to have my son mentored by him.



But, after 7 years of the same thing I have accepted that he will never be at the elite level. You can accept that and still be okay that he is the HC at BYU. We are unique but we aren't great and won't be under Bronco.



He is a great guy who has taken BYU as far as he can. No shame in that it just is what it is.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">


Seems like both sides of your mouth are working here.
N
northerncougar
dmcougar wrote:
Just because I have accepted that Bronco will never be an elite coach doesn't mean that I want him fired. I believe that he has the highest character and is a fantastic person. I would love to have my son mentored by him.



But, after 7 years of the same thing I have accepted that he will never be at the elite level. You can accept that and still be okay that he is the HC at BYU. We are unique but we aren't great and won't be under Bronco.



He is a great guy who has taken BYU as far as he can. No shame in that it just is what it is.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">


Seems like both sides of your mouth are working here.


Not even close. I am stating facts, not emotional drivel that I want the guy fired. If there was someone else who could do a better job, I would want that person. But with the restrictions we have on HC's, I think we have the best available right now. So I accept the program will continue to be average to above average under Bronco but never great. I don't like it but I accept it for what it is.



Just saying that no matter how good of a guy Bronco is and how well he would help my son become a better person, he is not a great coach. Good, but will never be great.



Really, really simple stuff here actually.
Y
Y 4 Ever
northerncougar wrote:
northerncougar wrote:
Just because I have accepted that Bronco will never be an elite coach doesn't mean that I want him fired. I believe that he has the highest character and is a fantastic person. I would love to have my son mentored by him.



But, after 7 years of the same thing I have accepted that he will never be at the elite level. You can accept that and still be okay that he is the HC at BYU. We are unique but we aren't great and won't be under Bronco.



He is a great guy who has taken BYU as far as he can. No shame in that it just is what it is.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">


Seems like both sides of your mouth are working here.


Not even close. I am stating facts, not emotional drivel that I want the guy fired. If there was someone else who could do a better job, I would want that person. But with the restrictions we have on HC's, I think we have the best available right now. So I accept the program will continue to be average to above average under Bronco but never great. I don't like it but I accept it for what it is.



Just saying that no matter how good of a guy Bronco is and how well he would help my son become a better person, he is not a great coach. Good, but will never be great.



Really, really simple stuff here actually.


Yep. It is possible to recognize that Bronco as a coach has shortcomings, that he will never lead BYU to the "promised land", and that we may have seen the ceiling of a BM coached team - and still think that he is a good coach, and that he is the best option for BYU right now.



I have openly criticized BM - especially after this game. However, I do not think he should be fired. There really aren't a lot of better options right now. But that does not mean he should be free from criticism.



Some day, he'll get his calling as a GA, and someone else (Doman?) will take over.
G
Guest
Please please please don't be Doman. He's the first coach I'd replace.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
B
BroncoBot
northerncougar wrote:
northerncougar wrote:
Just because I have accepted that Bronco will never be an elite coach doesn't mean that I want him fired. I believe that he has the highest character and is a fantastic person. I would love to have my son mentored by him.



But, after 7 years of the same thing I have accepted that he will never be at the elite level. You can accept that and still be okay that he is the HC at BYU. We are unique but we aren't great and won't be under Bronco.



He is a great guy who has taken BYU as far as he can. No shame in that it just is what it is.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">


Seems like both sides of your mouth are working here.


Not even close. I am stating facts, not emotional drivel that I want the guy fired. If there was someone else who could do a better job, I would want that person. But with the restrictions we have on HC's, I think we have the best available right now. So I accept the program will continue to be average to above average under Bronco but never great. I don't like it but I accept it for what it is.



Just saying that no matter how good of a guy Bronco is and how well he would help my son become a better person, he is not a great coach. Good, but will never be great.



Really, really simple stuff here actually.

If you really believe what you are saying, you'll have to agree that BYU has NEVER had a great coach. Right?



Just wondering.
Advertisement
L
Lawboy
I think BRonco needs to make a few changes, and it will help. When Bronco go more hands on, we get better. Happened with the D, and happened with special teas last year. Hw turned special teams over this year, and while we have got some great returns, we have also had some glaring mistakes.



I think Bronco has some weaknesses in his staff. We are a very young staff right now, and it shows. The only experienced coaches we have are Bronco, Reynolds, Kafusi and Tidwell. The rest are green and our issues are tied to green coaches who lack experience in getting the best out of players.



It will get better, but I think it will take 2 more years. Recruiting will also help in that area. We have some guys coming off missions soon that will really help us, along with some legit recruits. WE had a Crowton era talent gap that is starting to fill up. Give it 2-3 years, and if we are still seeing the same problems, I will agree completely. But I think in 2-3 years, we take the next step because our talent will let us.
N
NebraskaCoug
Lawboy wrote:

I think Bronco has some weaknesses in his staff. We are a very young staff right now, and it shows. The only experienced coaches we have are Bronco, Reynolds, Kafusi and Tidwell. The rest are green and our issues are tied to green coaches who lack experience in getting the best out of players.


Totally agree with this. The HC is ultimately responsible, and he owns the W-L record, but that doesn't mean that his weaknesses are always the ones that cause the team to fail (nor is it always his strengths that result in our success). We need to cut Bronco some slack, yes he is no longer a new head coach, but this is his first year with many of these new position coaches, and they will make mistakes, and he will make some mistakes with them. In my mind the jury is still out on whether Bronco can get us to the next level or not, but he has earned the right to try, and this is only the first year of the latest experiment with trying to get there.
N
northerncougar
declocoug wrote:
dmcougar wrote:
Just because I have accepted that Bronco will never be an elite coach doesn't mean that I want him fired. I believe that he has the highest character and is a fantastic person. I would love to have my son mentored by him.



But, after 7 years of the same thing I have accepted that he will never be at the elite level. You can accept that and still be okay that he is the HC at BYU. We are unique but we aren't great and won't be under

He is a great guy who has taken BYU as far as he can. No shame in that it just is what it is.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">


Seems like both sides of your mouth are working here.


Not even close. I am stating facts, not emotional drivel that I want the guy fired. If there was someone else who could do a better job, I would want that person. But with the restrictions we have on HC's, I think we have the best available right now. So I accept the program will continue to be average to above average under Bronco but never great. I don't like it but I accept it for what it is.



Just saying that no matter how good of a guy Bronco is and how well he would help my son become a better person, he is not a great coach. Good, but will never be great.



Really, really simple stuff here actually.

If you really believe what you are saying, you'll have to agree that BYU has NEVER had a great coach. Right?



Just wondering.


You think I am saying that Lavell underperformed for 29 straight seasons?



That can't possibly be a serious question.
B
BroncoBot
northerncougar wrote:
northerncougar wrote:
northerncougar wrote:
Just because I have accepted that Bronco will never be an elite coach doesn't mean that I want him fired. I believe that he has the highest character and is a fantastic person. I would love to have my son mentored by him.



But, after 7 years of the same thing I have accepted that he will never be at the elite level. You can accept that and still be okay that he is the HC at BYU. We are unique but we aren't great and won't be under

He is a great guy who has taken BYU as far as he can. No shame in that it just is what it is.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">


Seems like both sides of your mouth are working here.


Not even close. I am stating facts, not emotional drivel that I want the guy fired. If there was someone else who could do a better job, I would want that person. But with the restrictions we have on HC's, I think we have the best available right now. So I accept the program will continue to be average to above average under Bronco but never great. I don't like it but I accept it for what it is.



Just saying that no matter how good of a guy Bronco is and how well he would help my son become a better person, he is not a great coach. Good, but will never be great.



Really, really simple stuff here actually.

If you really believe what you are saying, you'll have to agree that BYU has NEVER had a great coach. Right?



Just wondering.


You think I am saying that Lavell underperformed for 29 straight seasons?



That can't possibly be a serious question.

So you think Lavell was an elite coach? I'd love to see who had the better win percentage vs teams with winning percentages at the end of the year.
N
northerncougar
declocoug wrote:
So you think Lavell was an elite coach? I'd love to see who had the better win percentage vs teams with winning percentages at the end of the year.


Um, this is getting way off target. I didn't realize that Lavell was the standard. Just be better than Lavell and everything is fine. If that is your standard, great. It has nothing to do with the original post of this thread.



All I said was that Bronco has underperformed every year as HC. If his numbers are better than Lavell's it doesn't change anything. The standard for me is what should have been done. Seems pretty simple.
Page 1 of 2
This is an archived topic from the original CougarCorner forum. New replies are not accepted.