Archived Topic

One Complaint about BYUtv

by stuckinbig10country · 10/27/2011

Advertisement
S
stuckinbig10country
They announce their times as ET. It's really annoying since approx 90% of their viewers live in either MT or PT.



Ok, that's all.
E
EM_Puma
I know, but I have to imagine it's because they are following the TV norm, where they imagine that the mountain time zone doesn't exist.
B
BroncoBot
That should just make it more consistent with the rest of the TV schedule.



ahhhhhh...... how nice is it to complain about small stuff like this instead of CSU vs WY womens volleyball being shown instead of the men's basketball team.
A
a1247
Any word on if or when Direct tv is going to pick it up in HD. That last game for me felt like I was watching the game on the mountain.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
G
Gunk
a1247 wrote:
Any word on if or when Direct tv is going to pick it up in HD. That last game for me felt like I was watching the game on the mountain.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">


Amazing that's how all games appeared less than 10 years ago.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
Advertisement
W
Wickchad
My one complaint regarding their coverage of games is that the one play from the ISU game that had an official review BYUtv didn't even show a replay of the play under review the entire time the official review was going on. I guess the call didn't get overturned because there wasn't a single replay available for them to look at the play...
C
Cougarfan87
a1247 wrote:
Any word on if or when Direct tv is going to pick it up in HD. That last game for me felt like I was watching the game on the mountain.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">




That explains it. I heard them announce it was broadcast in HD, and I was thinking, "this doesn't look like HD."



What do we need to do to make this happen? Tell them they can claim one more channel is in HD in their war with Dish?
I
Isola
Wickchad84087 wrote:
My one complaint regarding their coverage of games is that the one play from the ISU game that had an official review BYUtv didn't even show a replay of the play under review the entire time the official review was going on. I guess the call didn't get overturned because there wasn't a single replay available for them to look at the play...

I noticed that too. BYUTV has not ironed out their replays yet so the down time between plays is not as entertaining as it is on a better broadcast.



Also the announcers aren't the most knowledgeable about football. They get rules and names wrong more often than others. I wish they could get Greg Wrubel on there some how. My game experience isn't complete without him.
S
Screamineagle
Isola wrote:
My one complaint regarding their coverage of games is that the one play from the ISU game that had an official review BYUtv didn't even show a replay of the play under review the entire time the official review was going on. I guess the call didn't get overturned because there wasn't a single replay available for them to look at the play...

I noticed that too. BYUTV has not ironed out their replays yet so the down time between plays is not as entertaining as it is on a better broadcast.



Also the announcers aren't the most knowledgeable about football. They get rules and names wrong more often than others. I wish they could get Greg Wrubel on there some how. My game experience isn't complete without him.


Watch the broadcast on BYUTV and go to ksl.com and listen to Wruebel at the same time you get the best of both worlds.
D
Dcr36
If you don't get BYUtv in hi-def and you have a decent internet connection, it might be worth it to just watch the game online at byutv.org. If your bandwidth can handle it, it's a pretty-looking feed. None of that massively-pixelated Justin.tv crap.



I don't really have any problems with BYUtv. I figured their announcers would be homerific, and they kinda are, but that comes with the territory. I watched their broadcast and ESPN's broadcast of the USU game, and I was surprised that BYUtv was apparently using different "footage" for a lot of the game than ESPN. I actually thought BYUtv's broadcast, from the visual side of things, was a little better than ESPN's. BYUtv didn't have "Jake Heaps looking sad on the sidelines" shots between every play.
Advertisement
G
Gunk
Cougarfan87 wrote:
Any word on if or when Direct tv is going to pick it up in HD. That last game for me felt like I was watching the game on the mountain.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">




That explains it. I heard them announce it was broadcast in HD, and I was thinking, "this doesn't look like HD."



What do we need to do to make this happen? Tell them they can claim one more channel is in HD in their war with Dish?


Send an email to Directv. I did a while ago they said something along the lines that there was no immediate plans to add BYUtv HD but they were always assessing things. Time to write them again. It's as easy as flipping a switch for them since they already pick up byutv.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
W
Wickchad
In addition to adding a HD feed for Dish Network and DirecTV they need to get their channel number changed. To be relevant they need a channel number that is close to other sports channels. Right now BYUtv is channel 9403 on Dish Network. There is little chance that someone is going to find a game playing if they didn't know it was on. If the channel is closer to ESPN or FoxSports on the guide then people are more likely to see the channel.
D
Dcr36
Wickchad84087 wrote:
In addition to adding a HD feed for Dish Network and DirecTV they need to get their channel number changed. To be relevant they need a channel number that is close to other sports channels. Right now BYUtv is channel 9403 on Dish Network. There is little chance that someone is going to find a game playing if they didn't know it was on. If the channel is closer to ESPN or FoxSports on the guide then people are more likely to see the channel.


True, but I personally always use the "sort by category: sports: football" function to find games and I think a lot of others do the same. A better number would be nice, but I think as technology progresses the actual channel number gets less important.
W
Wickchad
Dcr36 wrote:
In addition to adding a HD feed for Dish Network and DirecTV they need to get their channel number changed. To be relevant they need a channel number that is close to other sports channels. Right now BYUtv is channel 9403 on Dish Network. There is little chance that someone is going to find a game playing if they didn't know it was on. If the channel is closer to ESPN or FoxSports on the guide then people are more likely to see the channel.


True, but I personally always use the "sort by category: sports: football" function to find games and I think a lot of others do the same. A better number would be nice, but I think as technology progresses the actual channel number gets less important.


The other question is does BYUtv appear under religious channels or sports channels? Or does it change based on what is currently being shown?
C
Cougarfan87
Gunk wrote:
a1247 wrote:
Any word on if or when Direct tv is going to pick it up in HD. That last game for me felt like I was watching the game on the mountain.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">




That explains it. I heard them announce it was broadcast in HD, and I was thinking, "this doesn't look like HD."



What do we need to do to make this happen? Tell them they can claim one more channel is in HD in their war with Dish?


Send an email to Directv. I did a while ago they said something along the lines that there was no immediate plans to add BYUtv HD but they were always assessing things. Time to write them again. It's as easy as flipping a switch for them since they already pick up byutv.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">




Done. Here is what I wrote:



"I currently subscribe and have been with DirecTV for about three years. I ordered directv so that I could watch BYU sports (at the time the MTN). Now that BYU has left the MTN, BYU's games are all on ESPN or BYUtv. ESPN's games are all in HD and I wanted to know when Direc TV will start carrying BYUtv in HD. I know BYU sports is broadcast in HD on BYUtv, but is not being carried by DirecTV in HD. Being able to watch BYU sports in a viewer friendly format (HD) pretty much influences who I purchase my television services from. Please let me know if DirecTV has any plans to broadcast BYUtv in HD so that I can make an informed consumer decision.



Thank you for your attention in this matter."



If everyone else with DirecTV would send an email, this may actually make a difference. Nothing like flexing your fanbase's economic muscle to make things happen.



Here's the line to the "ask a question" box. http://support.directv.com/app/ask
Advertisement
D
Dcr36
Wickchad84087 wrote:
Wickchad84087 wrote:
In addition to adding a HD feed for Dish Network and DirecTV they need to get their channel number changed. To be relevant they need a channel number that is close to other sports channels. Right now BYUtv is channel 9403 on Dish Network. There is little chance that someone is going to find a game playing if they didn't know it was on. If the channel is closer to ESPN or FoxSports on the guide then people are more likely to see the channel.


True, but I personally always use the "sort by category: sports: football" function to find games and I think a lot of others do the same. A better number would be nice, but I think as technology progresses the actual channel number gets less important.


The other question is does BYUtv appear under religious channels or sports channels? Or does it change based on what is currently being shown?


It changes depending on the show.



EDIT: mind you, this is on Comcast and CableOne, the two services I've used in the last couple weeks. Don't know about DirecTV or other providers.
C
Cougarfan87
Dcr36 wrote:
Dcr36 wrote:
In addition to adding a HD feed for Dish Network and DirecTV they need to get their channel number changed. To be relevant they need a channel number that is close to other sports channels. Right now BYUtv is channel 9403 on Dish Network. There is little chance that someone is going to find a game playing if they didn't know it was on. If the channel is closer to ESPN or FoxSports on the guide then people are more likely to see the channel.


True, but I personally always use the "sort by category: sports: football" function to find games and I think a lot of others do the same. A better number would be nice, but I think as technology progresses the actual channel number gets less important.


The other question is does BYUtv appear under religious channels or sports channels? Or does it change based on what is currently being shown?


It changes depending on the show.



EDIT: mind you, this is on Comcast and CableOne, the two services I've used in the last couple weeks. Don't know about DirecTV or other providers.


On DirecTV its always channel 374--right with the other religious channels.
D
Dcr36
Cougarfan87 wrote:
Wickchad84087 wrote:
Wickchad84087 wrote:
In addition to adding a HD feed for Dish Network and DirecTV they need to get their channel number changed. To be relevant they need a channel number that is close to other sports channels. Right now BYUtv is channel 9403 on Dish Network. There is little chance that someone is going to find a game playing if they didn't know it was on. If the channel is closer to ESPN or FoxSports on the guide then people are more likely to see the channel.


True, but I personally always use the "sort by category: sports: football" function to find games and I think a lot of others do the same. A better number would be nice, but I think as technology progresses the actual channel number gets less important.


The other question is does BYUtv appear under religious channels or sports channels? Or does it change based on what is currently being shown?


It changes depending on the show.



EDIT: mind you, this is on Comcast and CableOne, the two services I've used in the last couple weeks. Don't know about DirecTV or other providers.


On DirecTV its always channel 374--right with the other religious channels.


Right, but if you sort by category (i.e. filter out everything but football) does BYUtv show up on the list?



Maybe I'm the only person nerdy enough to use the seach function. :sulk:
H
hypercoug
If you are in the local broadcast area, just get a cheap set of bunny ears and you get get the game in HD over-the-air.
C
Cougarfan87
Dcr36 wrote:
Dcr36 wrote:
Dcr36 wrote:
In addition to adding a HD feed for Dish Network and DirecTV they need to get their channel number changed. To be relevant they need a channel number that is close to other sports channels. Right now BYUtv is channel 9403 on Dish Network. There is little chance that someone is going to find a game playing if they didn't know it was on. If the channel is closer to ESPN or FoxSports on the guide then people are more likely to see the channel.


True, but I personally always use the "sort by category: sports: football" function to find games and I think a lot of others do the same. A better number would be nice, but I think as technology progresses the actual channel number gets less important.


The other question is does BYUtv appear under religious channels or sports channels? Or does it change based on what is currently being shown?


It changes depending on the show.



EDIT: mind you, this is on Comcast and CableOne, the two services I've used in the last couple weeks. Don't know about DirecTV or other providers.


On DirecTV its always channel 374--right with the other religious channels.


Right, but if you sort by category (i.e. filter out everything but football) does BYUtv show up on the list?



Maybe I'm the only person nerdy enough to use the seach function. :sulk:


I have used some of the search functions--to find upcoming shows. I'm not sure if it will come up when searching for football. Not nerdy at all to find what you are looking for as quickly as possible.
Page 1 of 2
This is an archived topic from the original CougarCorner forum. New replies are not accepted.