Archived Topic

W. Virginia to B12

by Cougarpoke · 10/25/2011

Advertisement
C
Cougarpoke
Just saw it on ESPN when I was home from work. Said they will be accepted regardless of what MO does. I wonder if B12 is going to 12 or 14 teams. If that is the case then we could still be in. Rumor Board had some reports that BYU was still going to get an invite and soon...just rumor though. At this point, looks like we are indy.
H
hookemhorns
No, from my sources in Austin, sources being some people I know that work at UT, BYU will not be invited anytime soon. Again, sorry, as I posted in another thread, Louisville and Cinci are the next 2 options if we decide to expand.



Apparently, the Big12, once WVU starts playing in the conference, is in wait and see mode to see how a 10 team conference works out. I hope to go to 12 eventually with you guys included. However, I just don't see it in the near future.



Hooke em'

Steven
C
Cougarpoke
Indeed this seems to be the case. Wonder what went wrong. BYU seemed to be a great candidate. I assume we were demanding too much or were to difficult to work with. Maybe we are more suited for Indy; however, I am more concerned about our future relevance on the CFB scene...I guess we will see. I imagine this will shut the door on the BYU to B12 talk and we can again focus on football. I would not be surprised to see BYU make some scheduling announcements soon. I also assume BYU will not make any public statements regarding conference affiliation, just the same vague stuff.
H
hookemhorns
Hi Cougarpoke, see my post below entitled:



Expansion rumors from Austin, Texas
C
cougarapologist
There is still an 800-pound gorilla in the room that makes me think there is a shot for BYU to get an invite: The Big East has made it clear that nobody, not Pitt, Syracuse or even West Virginia is leaving the conference before 2014 and they have the contracts to back it up. so if Mizzou leaves to the SEC starting in the 2012 season, that leaves the B12 with only 9 teams, and a bunch of scheduled television windows that it cannot fill. Only one team is able to step in and fill Mizzou's spot in 2012, and that is BYU.



Thoughts?
Advertisement
C
CougarClaw
i think the slots are quickly filling. And right now, we're not one of them.



as for no one leaving before 2014....EVERYTHING is negotiable. contract or not.
G
Guest
This had a lot more to do with Sunday play then anyone who is a Cougar fan is comfortable admitting. It's sad but true, the TV partners thought they could get BYU to budge on Sunday play. Take it for what it's worth, this whole time it came down to how much the Big 12 needed us versus how much their media partners wanted Sunday play.
B
BoiseBYU
hawkwing wrote:
This had a lot more to do with Sunday play then anyone who is a Cougar fan is comfortable admitting. It's sad but true, the TV partners thought they could get BYU to budge on Sunday play. Take it for what it's worth, this whole time it came down to how much the Big 12 needed us versus how much their media partners wanted Sunday play.

It is not like we demand that other teams not play on

Sunday. Do they really think we are going to be in the championship game that much?



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
L
Lawboy
hawkwing wrote:
This had a lot more to do with Sunday play then anyone who is a Cougar fan is comfortable admitting. It's sad but true, the TV partners thought they could get BYU to budge on Sunday play. Take it for what it's worth, this whole time it came down to how much the Big 12 needed us versus how much their media partners wanted Sunday play.


This would be a convenient excuse for BYU if true, but there has not been a shred of evidence to support this released.



I do not think BYU will ever say.
G
golong
I think the good Lord is watching over BYU, I think there are so many negatives to jumping into the Big12 or some other conference, and so many positives to staying independent, that the Lord is just keeping where it is best for BYU.



I hear you guys getting all giddy about BYU joining the Big-12, and I just don't see it. Just like Utah was all giddy bout joining the Pac-12, hasn't exactly worked out all that great so far, and I think if BYU stays independent, which I believe they will, a few years from now we will all wonder why were even thinking about joining those crazy, frog jumpin, conferences.
Advertisement
M
Mars


Right now, the idea is that Mizzou wants to leave in 2012, won't leave until 2013. And the BE wants to keep WVU until 2014, but they will leave in 2013. That's what I'm hearing. So the B12 keeps 10 at all times.
A
AJP
http://collegefootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2011/10/25/wvu-taps-breaks-on-realignment-press-conference/related/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;



I know that ESPN has reports on it, but “'Contrary to media reports, there is no press conference scheduled for Wednesday concerning WVU’s athletic conference affiliation. There are no further comments at this time,' WVU said in an official statement tonight."



What's that? People might've jumped the gun on reporting what they were hearing from their sources? Wonder where I've heard that before...
D
Ddawg
"Source: Big 12 to accept WVU soon"



I saw this on ESPN. I'm still on the fence - it just feels crappy to be left out of the party.
L
Lawboy
Latest today is that the offer has been pulled. This from WVU fan page. Other reports say holding pattern. So something big is up. Could be Louisville, could be Missouri stays. Could be something else. Just know the WVU Fans sound a lot like us--except with more swearing.



http://mbd.scout.com/mb.aspx?s=159&f=4582&t=8153773" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://mbd.scout.com/mb.aspx?s=159&f=4582" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
S
SpiffCoug
Believe nothing.
Advertisement
D
Dcr36
Lawboy wrote:
Just know the WVU Fans sound a lot like us--except with more swearing.


And more couch-burning. Can't forget that.
C
CougarClaw
Can anyone say "done deal"?





....SIKE!



At this point would anyone be surprised to learn the same thing happened to us?
R
RobertMRogers
It is becoming more and more obvious to me that the problem party in these negotiations is not BYU.
This is an archived topic from the original CougarCorner forum. New replies are not accepted.