Archived Topic

Calling my shot now:

by SpiffCoug · 10/24/2011

Advertisement
S
SpiffCoug
BYU will beat TCU on Friday. The offense will have it's best game since 2007 when it had a 120.27 PER and 417 yards of offense.
Y
Y 4 Ever
I agree. Game is close, our D is tough, but still gives up high 20's in points, because TCU O is just good. Riley and Co win it in the 4th. Sorensen is on the money. 30-27.
J
jonnylingo
Y 4 Ever wrote:
I agree. Game is close, our D is tough, but still gives up high 20's in points, because TCU O is just good. Riley and Co win it in the 4th. Sorensen is on the money. 30-27.


I am going to say that tcu puts up at least 35 points. We will have to outscore them.
G
golong
If Van Noy is on the defense, and Nelson and Alisa are on the offense--my money is on BYU.
G
golong
TCU gets 35 points only if we have 3-5 turnovers, and if so, we get beat too.



Alisa gets a TD, Nelson gets a TD, and Hoffman gets a TD, Sorenson is 2 for 2 on FGs. If Alisa gets over 100 yards, and BYU gets over 200 on the ground, BYU wins 35 - 21



BYU 27 TCU 24
Advertisement
L
Lawboy
First team over 27 points wins. First team with 2 turnovers loses.
G
Gunk
I watched the Baylor vs TCU game. TCU can score at will and no lead is a safe one.



We'll have to hit them hard, early. If we can jump to an early lead and keep their offense off the field we win. But it will be a hard fought battle.
B
BYUgeezer
3 years ago we got beat up pretty badly by TCU. On each of the following years I expected that we would make an adjustment and do better. Nothing! Each year look exactly like the first. If anything our team looked more sluggish with each year. Beating our defense is done the same way now as it was then. I just hope we make some type of adjustment. TCU has our number more than anyone we play. Sorry I'm not going to get my hopes up to high. The disappointment the last two years was pretty bitter.
T
trueblue72
I would like to be optimistic but.... I see pachall going after our corners particularly corby Eason. Every other team has picked on him and I don't see that changing. The only way were going to win is by long methodical drives that eat up time. The best defense is a good offense. In the end I see our pass coverage ultimately being the problem that will prevent us from winning. With the way that tcu receivers can get up field we need to try some press coverage to try and knock them off their routes. Giving those guys a free release and 10 yard cushion is suicide as past year have shown.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
B
blue42
I will jump on this band wagon. Even though I think TCU is a good team and can put a lot of points on the board I think the X factor is Andy Dalton is no longer their QB. The experience he had was huge and that killed BYU. Of course having a pathetic offensive output 3 years in a row had a lot to do with it as well, but I think the D also lost a couple of their big playmakers and has been suspect this year.



If you look at the numbers they are very similar between the two teams. The passing numbers are almost identical with BYU throwing more int's, they clearly out rush BYU over the course of the season, but we know with Riley that part of the game has been more dynamic.



I also do not think their schedule is any better than BYU's, in fact I think it is pretty comparable to the type of teams BYU has been playing so their stats are put up against lesser teams as well.



I think it is a fairly even match up so if Riley and Co come out and take care of the ball BYU will come out with the win. TCU let SDSU back into the game, even though the final score looks like TCU dominated, SDSU was only down 6 in the fourth and a TD by TCU with about 5 mins left put the game away.



I think BYU has a very good chance I will say BYU by 7 points.
Advertisement
C
crh55
It's all about ball security, which remains a big concern with this team.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
S
stuckinbig10country
BYU loses, TCU covers, and we are left wondering exactly what our team is. But I'm usually wrong.
C
Cougs_Rule
Tcu spies Riley, shuts down our run, forces us to beat them with our pass, they press cover our WR's--who havent done well vs press coverage; and Riley again resorts to attempted heroics ( tuck, duck and run) and gets injured. And Jake comes in and.................doesnt look good. BYU 13 TCU 27. Oh and our coaches once again show why other coaches who do actually prepare for a team and not just their own team (sorry Bronco, I love ya), and who also make adjustments and not just say "Execute better" in the second half, reveal our team for what it is: A Good Team that can be exposed (think Utah).

Hate to say it. I hope Im wrong.
B
Brayden Green
TCU's defense is worse than normal, but their offense is much. much better than recent years.



I don't think we come within 2 TD's.



TCU 40 BYU 24







(TCU has beaten BYU the past three seasons by a combined score of 101-17)
C
Cougarbib
TCU averages over 40 points per game. They rely heavily on their rushing game which could help us. They score more points than their opponents usually allow. I disagree with the poster that said their schedule was similar to ours. It has been tougher.



There defense, on average, holds their opponents slightly below their average.



I am not sure what to expect - meltdown of the D like Utah - our best 4 qtrs of defense this year - or in between. I think our offense will have a measure of success but below our Riley Ball average. Ignore the Heaps offensive stats.



Go with the last 3 1/2 games. TCU will hold us below that average. We will score 21-31 points.



TCU will score above our avg opponent - give them 30-45 points.



Let us pray for BYU 31 TCU 30.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
Advertisement
F
frdbtr
dmcougar wrote:
Tcu spies Riley, shuts down our run, forces us to beat them with our pass, they press cover our WR's--who havent done well vs press coverage; and Riley again resorts to attempted heroics ( tuck, duck and run) and gets injured. And Jake comes in and.................doesnt look good. BYU 13 TCU 27. Oh and our coaches once again show why other coaches who do actually prepare for a team and not just their own team (sorry Bronco, I love ya), and who also make adjustments and not just say "Execute better" in the second half, reveal our team for what it is: A Good Team that can be exposed (think Utah).

Hate to say it. I hope Im wrong.


So all it takes is a spy on riley nelson and our whole offense comes apart? I hope TCU spies riley because that will take a defender away from the run and the pass making it easier to do both. That is why Riley nelson is hard to guard, if you dedicate defenders to him, that leaves one less defender for the rest of our offense to work with.
R
redneckjedi
frdbtr wrote:
Tcu spies Riley, shuts down our run, forces us to beat them with our pass, they press cover our WR's--who havent done well vs press coverage; and Riley again resorts to attempted heroics ( tuck, duck and run) and gets injured. And Jake comes in and.................doesnt look good. BYU 13 TCU 27. Oh and our coaches once again show why other coaches who do actually prepare for a team and not just their own team (sorry Bronco, I love ya), and who also make adjustments and not just say "Execute better" in the second half, reveal our team for what it is: A Good Team that can be exposed (think Utah).

Hate to say it. I hope Im wrong.


So all it takes is a spy on riley nelson and our whole offense comes apart? I hope TCU spies riley because that will take a defender away from the run and the pass making it easier to do both. That is why Riley nelson is hard to guard, if you dedicate defenders to him, that leaves one less defender for the rest of our offense to work with.


Exactly. Spy Riley. I dare you. If they do that consistently, Doman is going to KILL them with play-action bootleg passes and option runs. I'm literally salivating over this scenario right now.
B
Brayden Green
redneckjedi wrote:
dmcougar wrote:
Tcu spies Riley, shuts down our run, forces us to beat them with our pass, they press cover our WR's--who havent done well vs press coverage; and Riley again resorts to attempted heroics ( tuck, duck and run) and gets injured. And Jake comes in and.................doesnt look good. BYU 13 TCU 27. Oh and our coaches once again show why other coaches who do actually prepare for a team and not just their own team (sorry Bronco, I love ya), and who also make adjustments and not just say "Execute better" in the second half, reveal our team for what it is: A Good Team that can be exposed (think Utah).

Hate to say it. I hope Im wrong.


So all it takes is a spy on riley nelson and our whole offense comes apart? I hope TCU spies riley because that will take a defender away from the run and the pass making it easier to do both. That is why Riley nelson is hard to guard, if you dedicate defenders to him, that leaves one less defender for the rest of our offense to work with.


Exactly. Spy Riley. I dare you. If they do that consistently, Doman is going to KILL them with play-action bootleg passes and option runs. I'm literally salivating over this scenario right now.


You don't "spy" Riley. You play man on the corners. and bring the extra defenders in different lanes. You take away any chance of a run, and make them pass under pressure into tight man coverage. That is what TCU will try to do, if they are smart. Riley has shown he is prone to making bad decisions under pressure on occasion. Option tuns are completely innefective against an all out run blitz. Bootleg passes, and screens are the only thing that MIGHT move the ball anywhere against that type of pressure.
R
redneckjedi
BlueIsBetter wrote:
frdbtr wrote:
Tcu spies Riley, shuts down our run, forces us to beat them with our pass, they press cover our WR's--who havent done well vs press coverage; and Riley again resorts to attempted heroics ( tuck, duck and run) and gets injured. And Jake comes in and.................doesnt look good. BYU 13 TCU 27. Oh and our coaches once again show why other coaches who do actually prepare for a team and not just their own team (sorry Bronco, I love ya), and who also make adjustments and not just say "Execute better" in the second half, reveal our team for what it is: A Good Team that can be exposed (think Utah).

Hate to say it. I hope Im wrong.


So all it takes is a spy on riley nelson and our whole offense comes apart? I hope TCU spies riley because that will take a defender away from the run and the pass making it easier to do both. That is why Riley nelson is hard to guard, if you dedicate defenders to him, that leaves one less defender for the rest of our offense to work with.


Exactly. Spy Riley. I dare you. If they do that consistently, Doman is going to KILL them with play-action bootleg passes and option runs. I'm literally salivating over this scenario right now.


You don't "spy" Riley. You play man on the corners. and bring the extra defenders in different lanes. You take away any chance of a run, and make them pass under pressure into tight man coverage. That is what TCU will try to do, if they are smart. Riley has shown he is prone to making bad decisions under pressure on occasion. Option tuns are completely innefective against an all out run blitz. Bootleg passes, and screens are the only thing that MIGHT move the ball anywhere against that type of pressure.


If they're playing man on the corners and putting that much pressure in the box, we can use the same gameplan we used to shred them in 2006 - attack the corners with short comebacks, timing routes, slants, dump offs to the backs, etc. We've got big receivers that can use their bodies to shield the DB away from the ball, and that can block downfield well on swing passes. If Riley makes good reads (i.e., doesn't throw the comeback when they've jumped the route like he did against OSU) and can keep them honest with some pump-n-go, out-n-up type stuff, they'll be forced to back off the pressure because we'll be carving it up.



One thing that worried me was seeing ISU's DE get so far upfield on our normally successful bootleg pass to a TE that has blocked and released. TCU will see that on film, and it may reduce its effectiveness if we can't get that fixed.
F
frdbtr
BlueIsBetter wrote:
frdbtr wrote:
Tcu spies Riley, shuts down our run, forces us to beat them with our pass, they press cover our WR's--who havent done well vs press coverage; and Riley again resorts to attempted heroics ( tuck, duck and run) and gets injured. And Jake comes in and.................doesnt look good. BYU 13 TCU 27. Oh and our coaches once again show why other coaches who do actually prepare for a team and not just their own team (sorry Bronco, I love ya), and who also make adjustments and not just say "Execute better" in the second half, reveal our team for what it is: A Good Team that can be exposed (think Utah).

Hate to say it. I hope Im wrong.


So all it takes is a spy on riley nelson and our whole offense comes apart? I hope TCU spies riley because that will take a defender away from the run and the pass making it easier to do both. That is why Riley nelson is hard to guard, if you dedicate defenders to him, that leaves one less defender for the rest of our offense to work with.


Exactly. Spy Riley. I dare you. If they do that consistently, Doman is going to KILL them with play-action bootleg passes and option runs. I'm literally salivating over this scenario right now.


You don't "spy" Riley. You play man on the corners. and bring the extra defenders in different lanes. You take away any chance of a run, and make them pass under pressure into tight man coverage. That is what TCU will try to do, if they are smart. Riley has shown he is prone to making bad decisions under pressure on occasion. Option tuns are completely innefective against an all out run blitz. Bootleg passes, and screens are the only thing that MIGHT move the ball anywhere against that type of pressure.


I would agree with you except that Oregon State was blitzing on just about every play and Riley burned them more often then not. TCU may have more speed then OSU but not by much. They are a well coached team but BYU became much tougher to defend specifically because Riley's run threat keeps teams honest. It puts a linebacker further off the line of scrimmage to make sure he doesn't burn you with the run which makes our RB's get a better start into the holes by the offensive line. If he breaks contain, that linebacker runs up to stop him and he burns you with the pass. Also, it keeps a defender watching Riley at all times making sure you can't flood our recievers with defenders hoping to stop the pass. Last year teams made a living on burning us with running qb's, this year we get to return the favor on them, only our running qb is a 65% passer as well.
Page 1 of 2
This is an archived topic from the original CougarCorner forum. New replies are not accepted.