Archived Topic

Expansion rumors from Austin, Texas

by hookemhorns · 10/24/2011

Advertisement
H
hookemhorns
Hi everyone! Long time no talk. Hey, just want to post that the word coming out from Austin is that BYU will not get an invite to the Big12. Sorry, man, this sucks. I was hoping for the Cougs to join and am not here to flame. Never have been. Here is what I've learned and many of you may already know this:



1. WV, Louisville and Cinc are now in front of BYU

2. Yes, no Sunday play did factor in no matter what anybody says.

3. Some BYU admin may have rubbed some Big12 school pres. the wrong way. I don't know, but I guess the Mormon thing irritated some of the school presidents. In regards to Texas, not sure but didn't here anything negative on our end.



So in conclusion, this sucks again! BYU will not be getting an invite but I hope to play you guys many more times in the future. I like your fan base and think your program is good and classy.



Hook em'

Steven
J
jonnylingo
Not surprised. Hopefully the Big12 stays together though. it is in byu's interest that they do. anyway, louisville and cinci will bring the big12 much more acadmemic prestige and eyeballs than byu would ;) :gross:



The big12 twelve obviously wanted pushovers. BYU wasn't going to leave their espn deal which gives them almost everything they value unless the BIG12 would accommodate certain demands relating to exposure. this bugged those in the big12 who thought byu should have bent over and done whatever asked of them just like everybody else not name texas and ou do. I get it.
S
SpiffCoug
Believe nothing when it comes to Big 12 expansion.



Until BYU or ESPN or the Big 12 hold a press conference either inviting or out-right stating BYU will not ever join the Big12, there is nothing to believe.
M
Mars


West Virginia and Louisville are good schools. Cincy... they're no BYU. Sorry.
E
EM_Puma
An individual at TBS posted:



"I have inside info (i.e., no info)…Just spent the week camping with my buddy, who is bishop to either Holmoe, Worthen and Samuelson. Will not say which one. He had just talked to one of the above mentioned three just last Sunday, specifically about the Big-12. and he was told the following by one of the above mentioned three..." I will guarantee you this, the ones that know what is going on and what is going to happen, are telling NO ONE. The ones who don't know what is going on are telling everyone. Don't believe any internet rumors, sources, etc. they don't know. Then he emphasized again - the ones who know are NOT SAYING ANYTHING."



Yea, even there some bantered back that they have a friend who's cousin's hair dresser has a 3rd cousin, etc. etc., but that statement is probably more true than what we are hearing here.



I have believed all along that BYU will not get the invite and it has been harder lately since Harmon, Drew and Wrubell, who have all sited also that they have no inside information, but have opined that BYU would eventually end up with an invite to the Big 12. But I don't believe this individual knows anything either.
Advertisement
C
Cougs_Rule
:sick:
SpiffCoug wrote:
Believe nothing when it comes to Big 12 expansion.



Until BYU or ESPN or the Big 12 hold a press conference either inviting or out-right stating BYU will not ever join the Big12, there is nothing to believe.


Yes, but to date arent the majority of rumors (even from non-byu sources, namely other big 12 schools) about byu getting in? I would tend to believe the NO INVITE rumors more. Not just bc I'm a pessimist, but bc I beleive that ship has long since sailed on.
S
SpiffCoug
The one thing BYU and Big 12 understand is they don't need BYU right now. If they needed BYU for 2012, BYU would have been available for 2012. With BYU's independence status, they can join pretty much at anytime. Whether it's for 2013 or 2014. There are no exit fees or string attached to other non-BYU entities.
J
jonnylingo
EM_Puma wrote:
http://espn.go.com/college-sports/story/_/id/7145629/no-departure-missouri-tigers-big-12-meeting



Looks like no Missouri leaving for 2012. Not difinitive, but this would have been when they would have given notice and they participated in the conference meetings today.


They are still gone. This probably just means the big12 hasn't decided yet on who to add in their place or the whole 10 versus 12 deal and missouri agreed to give them more time.
Advertisement
E
EM_Puma
jonnylingo wrote:
Good article out of austin on three possible big12 candidates.



http://www.statesman.com/sports/collegefootball/big-12-replacement-candidates-west-virginia-louisville-and-1932116.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;


I'm not going to spend the time to review why Dick Harmon's number on the TV rating of the three probable schools are different, but he has the BYU TV market higher than your link:



"If BYU, Louisville and West Virginia are prime candidates, the Salt Lake City market is ranked 33rd, Louisville is 50th and Morgantown, West Virginia is in the Pittsburgh market which is 24th. Of course Dallas-Fort Worth ranks No. 5; Austin is 49th, Des Moines/Ames is 71st; Oklahoma City 45th, St. Louis, Mo., 21st. Losing the Missouri market of St. Louis/Kansas City would be a big loss in potential TV sets."--Deseret News
This is an archived topic from the original CougarCorner forum. New replies are not accepted.