Archived Topic

Are we any good...?

by cougarsunited · 10/24/2011

Advertisement
C
cougarsunited
To be quite frank, I really don't know if we're agood football team. We have beaten terrible teams (some even quite close) and lost to terrible teams... On the other hand, there is so much excitement around Riley, the offense that is coming together, and a very good defense.



What da heck, are we... good? I wouldn't give us any votes in the polls... yet.
Y
Y 4 Ever
I'd say was are decent. I wouldn't call us "good" just yet. If we knock off TCU, then ya, I'd say we are good. Maybe even fringe-top-25 good.
S
SpiffCoug
cougarsunited wrote:
To be quite frank, I really don't know if we're agood football team. We have beaten terrible teams (some even quite close) and lost to terrible teams... On the other hand, there is so much excitement around Riley, the offense that is coming together, and a very good defense.



What da heck, are we... good? I wouldn't give us any votes in the polls... yet.

We're certainly better than you seem to think we are.
F
frdbtr
Good teams win games, bad teams lose them. BYU is a good team. USU was said to be the "best 1-3" team in the nation when we played them, but since then they have done nothing but lose to other crap teams. They are a bad team. I could go on. Last year, BYU was a bad team when we went 1-4 and then Bronco turned it around and we were a good team at the end of the year because we were winning.
B
BroncoBot
cougarsunited wrote:
To be quite frank, I really don't know if we're agood football team. We have beaten terrible teams (some even quite close) and lost to terrible teams... On the other hand, there is so much excitement around Riley, the offense that is coming together, and a very good defense.



What da heck, are we... good? I wouldn't give us any votes in the polls... yet.

So what game that BYU won against a terrible team was too close for you? Since Riley has been playing, no game has been questionable.
Advertisement
M
mgdhunter
Friday nights game will be a truer test of where we are in terms of team, individual, and coaching staff. Everyone will have to give their best effort to get it done against TCU. The Competition will be a lot tougher this week!
B
BroncoBot
mgdhunter wrote:
Friday nights game will be a truer test of where we are in terms of team, individual, and coaching staff. Everyone will have to give their best effort to get it done against TCU. The Competition will be a lot tougher this week!

I'm not arguing with you (I totally agree in fact), but wasn't this the same storyline for OSU?
K
Kbear
I have been lurking and quiet about this but maybe it is time to say what I think. :bug:

I have not been able to enjoy BYU football to it's fullest extent this year because I have been preoccupied with reading too much crap about the football team, Bronco, B12, Riley/Jake, and every other negative comment, that the joy has been sucked from my season. Not blaming anyone but myself now. I just wish that I could enjoy the game and enjoy the great play and the good feelings that I see the guys have out on the field. After everyone went to bed Saturday, I stayed up and watched the ISU game again. You know we played great! I live in ISU land so I know how bad they are but they went out and played hard and we played hard and we had some great plays... so isn't that what it is all about. I am going to try and inject some joy back into the season by just loving football and taking the good plays and bad plays as they come. I am going to try to salvage some positive vibes for myself. I will still read Cougar Corner because you guys crack me up and it really isn't totally negative here but I will NOT go to cougarboard any more. :P Maybe I need cougarboard anonymous or something.... help :lol:
C
cougarsunited
declocoug wrote:
To be quite frank, I really don't know if we're agood football team. We have beaten terrible teams (some even quite close) and lost to terrible teams... On the other hand, there is so much excitement around Riley, the offense that is coming together, and a very good defense.



What da heck, are we... good? I wouldn't give us any votes in the polls... yet.

So what game that BYU won against a terrible team was too close for you? Since Riley has been playing, no game has been questionable.


Ole Miss, UCF, Utah State.
B
BroncoBot
cougarsunited wrote:
cougarsunited wrote:
To be quite frank, I really don't know if we're agood football team. We have beaten terrible teams (some even quite close) and lost to terrible teams... On the other hand, there is so much excitement around Riley, the offense that is coming together, and a very good defense.



What da heck, are we... good? I wouldn't give us any votes in the polls... yet.

So what game that BYU won against a terrible team was too close for you? Since Riley has been playing, no game has been questionable.


Ole Miss, UCF, Utah State.

All games that Jake Heaps played the majority of reps. Please read my post again and you'll see what my point was. BYU is a different team now.
Advertisement
J
jonnylingo
Love this post. Reflects my feelings as well.



What I do think is that we have finally found our identity and that will result in us playing better from here on out. Just like last year. Half way through the season we have finally figure out what we should have figured out in fall camp.



hopefully with coaching staff in place and with a year under their belt we will come into next year running.
M
mgdhunter
TCU is a better team that OSU is, and it will show on Friday. I just hope we can keep it all going. If we win this game, it will be much closer than the past two to three weeks.
C
Cougarbib
cougarsunited wrote:
To be quite frank, I really don't know if we're agood football team. We have beaten terrible teams (some even quite close) and lost to terrible teams... On the other hand, there is so much excitement around Riley, the offense that is coming together, and a very good defense.



What da heck, are we... good? I wouldn't give us any votes in the polls... yet.

Texas was terrible until they switched QBs. They are not a terrible team. Utah was not a terrible team before Wynn was lost for the season. We have not lost to any terrible teams unless you subscribe to every team not in the top 20 being terrible. If you subscribe to that, we are a terrible team. There is your answer.



By my calculations we have a good defense and an adequate offense at this point supported by adequate, but inconsistent, special teams.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
B
BroncoBot
mgdhunter wrote:
TCU is a better team that OSU is, and it will show on Friday. I just hope we can keep it all going. If we win this game, it will be much closer than the past two to three weeks.

I think you're forgetting that BYU is undefeated in Jerry's world stadium.
C
cougarsunited
declocoug wrote:
declocoug wrote:
To be quite frank, I really don't know if we're agood football team. We have beaten terrible teams (some even quite close) and lost to terrible teams... On the other hand, there is so much excitement around Riley, the offense that is coming together, and a very good defense.



What da heck, are we... good? I wouldn't give us any votes in the polls... yet.

So what game that BYU won against a terrible team was too close for you? Since Riley has been playing, no game has been questionable.


Ole Miss, UCF, Utah State.

All games that Jake Heaps played the majority of reps. Please read my post again and you'll see what my point was. BYU is a different team now.


As crappy as Ole Miss, UFC and Utah State are, they are light years better than the teams we played with Riley. Don't get me wrong, I pick him over Heaps any day, but it's an illusion to think that because we've won a couple of football games (albeit heavily due to Riley) that suddenly we are so much better. I think we've seen nothing other than a average growth rate for a football team half-way through the season. I am certain, other than the Utah State game, that we would have won all of the last games with Jake as well. Any 2000-2005 BYU team would have won these games. Winning these last few games does not prove anything, certainly not that we are good.
Advertisement
Y
Y 4 Ever
cougarsunited wrote:
cougarsunited wrote:
cougarsunited wrote:
To be quite frank, I really don't know if we're agood football team. We have beaten terrible teams (some even quite close) and lost to terrible teams... On the other hand, there is so much excitement around Riley, the offense that is coming together, and a very good defense.



What da heck, are we... good? I wouldn't give us any votes in the polls... yet.

So what game that BYU won against a terrible team was too close for you? Since Riley has been playing, no game has been questionable.


Ole Miss, UCF, Utah State.

All games that Jake Heaps played the majority of reps. Please read my post again and you'll see what my point was. BYU is a different team now.


As crappy as Ole Miss, UFC and Utah State are, they are light years better than the teams we played with Riley.


There's no way the aggies beat the beavers. Not likely that UCF or Ole Miss does either. I think that OSU is best team we've beaten this year. Sad as that may be.
D
Dcr36
Kbear wrote:
I have been lurking and quiet about this but maybe it is time to say what I think. :bug:

I have not been able to enjoy BYU football to it's fullest extent this year because I have been preoccupied with reading too much crap about the football team, Bronco, B12, Riley/Jake, and every other negative comment, that the joy has been sucked from my season. Not blaming anyone but myself now....


Agree quite a bit with your entire post. I don't blame BYU fans for holding their team to a high standard, but HOLY CRAP. Talking about how disappointed you are with BYU, how you can't bear to watch the games, talking (like a lot are at CB) about shopping around for a new sports team to follow...that's the sort of stuff you do when you cheer for Tulane or New Mexico, not a team that's bowl eligible 8 weeks into the season, even WITH an easy schedule.



And you're right later on. I've got no problems with 99% of the people here at CC, even those who are more "glass half-empty" types than myself. But reading CougarBoard these days is just depressing. Nobody there is happy about anything.
J
jonnylingo
cougarsunited wrote:
cougarsunited wrote:
cougarsunited wrote:
To be quite frank, I really don't know if we're agood football team. We have beaten terrible teams (some even quite close) and lost to terrible teams... On the other hand, there is so much excitement around Riley, the offense that is coming together, and a very good defense.



What da heck, are we... good? I wouldn't give us any votes in the polls... yet.

So what game that BYU won against a terrible team was too close for you? Since Riley has been playing, no game has been questionable.


Ole Miss, UCF, Utah State.

All games that Jake Heaps played the majority of reps. Please read my post again and you'll see what my point was. BYU is a different team now.


As crappy as Ole Miss, UFC and Utah State are, they are light years better than the teams we played with Riley. Don't get me wrong, I pick him over Heaps any day, but it's an illusion to think that because we've won a couple of football games (albeit heavily due to Riley) that suddenly we are so much better. I think we've seen nothing other than a average growth rate for a football team half-way through the season. I am certain, other than the Utah State game, that we would have won all of the last games with Jake as well. Any 2000-2005 BYU team would have won these games. Winning these last few games does not prove anything, certainly not that we are good.


I am not certain that we beat osu with heaps.
B
BroncoBot
OM- 72

UCF- 88

USU- 98

SJSU- 89

OSU- 101



This according to byufan4ever's rankings which are excellent.



You're really calling those first games "light years" ahead of the more recent? I think your bias is showing. But like you said, we've seen increased play for a couple of weeks. BYU is a different team than they were a month ago. Part of that is Alisa, part is Nelson, part is Doman calling a better game etc etc. BYU is not terrible at the moment and seem to be improving rapidly.
F
frdbtr
cougarsunited wrote:
cougarsunited wrote:
cougarsunited wrote:
To be quite frank, I really don't know if we're agood football team. We have beaten terrible teams (some even quite close) and lost to terrible teams... On the other hand, there is so much excitement around Riley, the offense that is coming together, and a very good defense.



What da heck, are we... good? I wouldn't give us any votes in the polls... yet.

So what game that BYU won against a terrible team was too close for you? Since Riley has been playing, no game has been questionable.


Ole Miss, UCF, Utah State.

All games that Jake Heaps played the majority of reps. Please read my post again and you'll see what my point was. BYU is a different team now.


As crappy as Ole Miss, UFC and Utah State are, they are light years better than the teams we played with Riley. Don't get me wrong, I pick him over Heaps any day, but it's an illusion to think that because we've won a couple of football games (albeit heavily due to Riley) that suddenly we are so much better. I think we've seen nothing other than a average growth rate for a football team half-way through the season. I am certain, other than the Utah State game, that we would have won all of the last games with Jake as well. Any 2000-2005 BYU team would have won these games. Winning these last few games does not prove anything, certainly not that we are good.




I just can't disagree with this statement enough. I think we would have lost USU, sjsu and especially OSU with Jake at starter and the ISU game would have been close. Did you see what Heaps did against ISU? He looked average at best and their defense would have adjusted, to his first read and fire play and would have shut him down in the second half. BYU is a good team. OSU is a good team, did you see what they did to Washington state? Wait until you see what they do to the utes this weekend and then you will believe me. I think that BYU is going to win against TCU on saturday and you will still not be satisfied because TCU is in rebuild mode this year. Some people are just negative.
Page 1 of 2
This is an archived topic from the original CougarCorner forum. New replies are not accepted.