Archived Topic

McKay Jacobson

by jonnylingo · 10/24/2011

Advertisement
J
jonnylingo
should be benched. let hafoka and/or falslev get his reps. he is not good. i say let falslev get his reps. at least he has some ability for lateral movement. He has better hands as well. He also runs with confidence and not afraid.
J
jacksonman
I wouldn't say he sucks but he has really disappeared this year. I agree that he should see less time and have others who are performing better get more reps. Imagine if we had Alisa and Riley taking over earlier as they other starters didn't perform well. There is a good chance we would be undefeated right now.



No entitlement means players work harder and the cream of the crop rise to the top.
J
jonnylingo
jacksonman wrote:
Imagine if we had Alisa and Riley taking over earlier as they other starters didn't perform well.


This is my biggest beef with our coaching staff. they seem slow and seeing things like this.
A
ABYUFAN
I believe he is the poster boy for how missions "benefit" our players. He looked better as a freshman than he does as a senior
Y
Y12
jonnylingo wrote:
should be benched. let hafoka and/or falslev get his reps. he is not good. i say let falslev get his reps. at least he has some ability for lateral movement. He has better hands as well. He also runs with confidence and not afraid.


Falslev is getting MJ's reps already. That started against Oregon State.



I didn't hear bronco say this, but read some things to this effect.
Advertisement
T
ThrowbackBlue
I sat 1st row on the 45 yd line behind the BYU bench this past week and observed a heated exchange between Jacobson and Marcus Mathews. Mathews was laying into Jacobsen for the illegal shift called against him on Jake Heaps’ first series in the 3rd quarter—next play was an interception. Fingers were pointed, a few choice words were exchanged, and you could tell everybody was frustrated with McKay and his mistake.



He had a decent game against San Jose State (minus the perfectly thrown deep TD pass that hit him in stride).
S
Schmoe
McKay has had a decent year and has done pretty well with the balls thrown his way. I haven't seen Falslev do anything that would convince me that he's a better fit. On the drop and overthrow McKay got himself wide open.
D
Dcr36
jonnylingo wrote:
Imagine if we had Alisa and Riley taking over earlier as they other starters didn't perform well.


This is my biggest beef with our coaching staff. they seem slow and seeing things like this.


I'm frustrated with this too, but did ANY of us see that coming?
G
Gunk
I like Falslev. He seems more aggressive, faster and appears to be able to make a play or two on his feet



I think McKay gets a bit of a bum rap. His Freshman season he was clearly faster, but he also had a better QB throwing to him. His mission or BYU's training regime took some speed off him (JJ is slower yet he didn't serve a mission). His Sophomore year he had Hall throwing to him, but was on a team with Hall favorites Pitta, George and Unga in addition to Ashworth (Senior) and Chambers (diva); so, didn't get many balls thrown his way.



His Junior season he had a true freshman QB throwing to him, who we all know picks his target before the ball is snapped. McKay did drop a lot early in the season last year, but seemed to turn that around.
J
jonnylingo
Dcr36 wrote:
jacksonman wrote:
Imagine if we had Alisa and Riley taking over earlier as they other starters didn't perform well.


This is my biggest beef with our coaching staff. they seem slow and seeing things like this.


I'm frustrated with this too, but did ANY of us see that coming?


I saw Alisa coming. Not Riley. I was hoping we could redshirt alisa. i was afraid the coaches would waste a year of his. I always thought he would be a tailback not a full back.
Advertisement
L
Lawboy
McKay needs to be in the slot. He is not big enough or fast enough to be an outside receiver. he should be a Wes Welker type, as he is the same size. Just not sure if McKay wants to go there. I;d rather see McKay in the slot than Matthews or Falsev.
J
jonnylingo
Schmoe wrote:
McKay has had a decent year and has done pretty well with the balls thrown his way. I haven't seen Falslev do anything that would convince me that he's a better fit. On the drop and overthrow McKay got himself wide open.


I am surprised you haven't seen more out of falslev the way he runs after he catches balls. There is a clear difference in my mind. mckay is very timid and NEVER makes anybody miss. McKay almost never gets yac either. falslev seems quicker on his feet and a lot more aggressive and fearless.



Just an observation.
J
jonnylingo
Lawboy wrote:
McKay needs to be in the slot. He is not big enough or fast enough to be an outside receiver. he should be a Wes Welker type, as he is the same size. Just not sure if McKay wants to go there. I;d rather see McKay in the slot than Matthews or Falsev.


In your opinion why is mckay better in the slot than falslev?
D
Dcr36
jonnylingo wrote:
jonnylingo wrote:
Imagine if we had Alisa and Riley taking over earlier as they other starters didn't perform well.


This is my biggest beef with our coaching staff. they seem slow and seeing things like this.


I'm frustrated with this too, but did ANY of us see that coming?


I saw Alisa coming. Not Riley. I was hoping we could redshirt alisa. i was afraid the coaches would waste a year of his. I always thought he would be a tailback not a full back.


Fair enough. I guess I was talking less along the lines of "Who could've guessed that Alisa was going to be a good RB?" and more along the lines of "Who could've guessed that Alisa would leapfrog over JJ, Quezada and Kariya, and that we would NEED him to fix our running game?" I could've guessed the former, but I'm really surprised by the latter.
C
Cougs_Rule
Gunk wrote:
I like Falslev. He seems more aggressive, faster and appears to be able to make a play or two on his feet



I think McKay gets a bit of a bum rap. His Freshman season he was clearly faster, but he also had a better QB throwing to him. His mission or BYU's training regime took some speed off him (JJ is slower yet he didn't serve a mission). His Sophomore year he had Hall throwing to him, but was on a team with Hall favorites Pitta, George and Unga in addition to Ashworth (Senior) and Chambers (diva); so, didn't get many balls thrown his way.



His Junior season he had a true freshman QB throwing to him, who we all know picks his target before the ball is snapped. McKay did drop a lot early in the season last year, but seemed to turn that around.


Gunk, you defy not only sound reason; you defy your own reasoning, which points to the fact that Heaps is the center of your blame universe.
Advertisement
C
Cougs_Rule
Lawboy wrote:
McKay needs to be in the slot. He is not big enough or fast enough to be an outside receiver. he should be a Wes Welker type, as he is the same size. Just not sure if McKay wants to go there. I;d rather see McKay in the slot than Matthews or Falsev.


But as was revealed last year, he did not want to go across the middle and get hammered. He lost his nerve.

Speaking of somebody who cant/wont take a hit.
C
Cougs_Rule
ABYUFAN wrote:
I believe he is the poster boy for how missions "benefit" our players. He looked better as a freshman than he does as a senior


Maybe. giving him the benefit of the doubt, maybe his heart turned to more important things. Sadly I have heard the very opposite about Mckay. I dont know what happened to MJ.

But I wish him all the best. No "magic" happening for him on the field and it has more to do than just just multiple drops.
C
Cougs_Rule
ThrowbackBlue wrote:
I sat 1st row on the 45 yd line behind the BYU bench this past week and observed a heated exchange between Jacobson and Marcus Mathews. Mathews was laying into Jacobsen for the illegal shift called against him on Jake Heaps’ first series in the 3rd quarter—next play was an interception. Fingers were pointed, a few choice words were exchanged, and you could tell everybody was frustrated with McKay and his mistake.



He had a decent game against San Jose State (minus the perfectly thrown deep TD pass that hit him in stride).


Yep, no rifts or finger pointing on this team. Sad.
S
SpiffCoug
McKay was probably trying to explain to Matthews that Jake was in and he only plays hard for Riley. Riley is the better leader after all. Matthews was probably making sure that McKay kept up the good work.
C
Cougs_Rule
SpiffCoug wrote:
McKay was probably trying to explain to Matthews that Jake was in and he only plays hard for Riley. Riley is the better leader after all. Matthews was probably making sure that McKay kept up the good work.


Mathews, who has credibility from his consistent play, is sick of the crap that MJ and a few others have shown over the last two years--jake related or not. Finally, some leadership showing up from, not the ones who should have been, but the ones who are tired of looking for it in those that should have been but have failed, except for RN who has stepped up.
Page 1 of 2
This is an archived topic from the original CougarCorner forum. New replies are not accepted.