Archived Topic

Why does BYU take till midseason to find itself

by byucougar1 · 10/23/2011

Advertisement
B
byucougar1
Just wondering why over the last two years we have started out the beginning of the season with uncertainty and lack of identity which translated into trying to reach our potential to now regaining our swagger. I understand the indecision about QB last year and how Riley getting hurt helped to solve the dilemma but this year it took us a while to finally realize and grasp that Riley had IT while the other was lacking IT. Bronco stated earlier that he wished that we would have had the first teams playing against each other more in fall practice this year. Ironically, that's what they started doing in the middle of last year after the USU loss. What gives with the midseason ah- ha moments?



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
C
Cougarbib
byucougar1 wrote:
Just wondering why over the last two years we have started out the beginning of the season with uncertainty and lack of identity which translated into trying to reach our potential to now regaining our swagger. I understand the indecision about QB last year and how Riley getting hurt helped to solve the dilemma but this year it took us a while to finally realize and grasp that Riley had IT while the other was lacking IT. Bronco stated earlier that he wished that we would have had the first teams playing against each other more in fall practice this year. Ironically, that's what they started doing in the middle of last year after the USU loss. What gives with the midseason ah- ha moments?



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">

Inexperienced and idealistic coaching

Inexperienced players

Strength of schedule early in the season vs schedule that makes it easy to look better later. However, the tough early schedule also prepares teams.

Stubborness and arrogance



Things will start faster next year in these regards - except - schedule will be a killer.
C
Cougs_Rule
Maybe we'll be so much better prepared in fall camp 2012 that we can take off two days in fall camp. ;-)



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
Y
Y 4 Ever
Simple. Schedule got easier.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
S
Schmoe
Y 4 Ever wrote:
Simple. Schedule got easier.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">


Yeah, cause we're not playing any better than we did at the beginning of the year :roll:
Advertisement
D
Dcr36
I'm a fan of our coaching staff, but these last two years I think they have to shoulder a good deal of the blame. Last year so many of our offensive woes can be attributed to the 2 QB system, which was just a bad idea, period. Neither QB got the reps needed to be effective until Riley finally went down.



This year, I feel like the coaching staff overestimated how prepared the offense was, and Doman needed some time to progress. As I've said elsewhere, though, I do think some degree of understanding should be afforded the coaching staff this year - I didn't anticipate Heaps struggling as badly as he did, nor did I think we'd have to turn to our 4th running option (5th if you count Riley) to find our feature back.



Some fans who are down on Bronco like to throw in the close early losses in '06 and '07 as proof that Bronco struggles with early season preparation. I was on my mission those years so I don't really have an opinion on that.
J
jonnylingo
because our coaches are average.
B
BYUgeezer
I've wondered if it is because we scrimmage very little in spring and fall practices in order to minimize the chance of anyone getting injured.
M
Mars


Short practices, days off, and not going live nearly enough. Same argument I've given the past 5 years or so. Same with bowl game prep. Same with the last couple minutes of each half of real games too- Coaches get too conservative/vanilla, and play not to lose. Like how they practice to not get hurt. It doesn't create winners, and it makes winning more difficult.
C
Cougarbib
Mars wrote:


Short practices, days off, and not going live nearly enough. Same argument I've given the past 5 years or so. Same with bowl game prep. Same with the last couple minutes of each half of real games too- Coaches get too conservative/vanilla, and play not to lose. Like how they practice to not get hurt. It doesn't create winners, and it makes winning more difficult.

The first sentence is what I meant by idealistic, stubborn, and arrogant.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
This is an archived topic from the original CougarCorner forum. New replies are not accepted.