Archived Topic

Beating TCU

by mizzoucoug · 10/23/2011

Advertisement
M
mizzoucoug
All the QB and BIG12 talk has distracted me from important things like learning about our most important opponent for the rest of the year.



Their defense is clearly down this year and Dalton has run off to the league, so is there any reason we can't go in and beat these guys? Who knows anything about them?
Y
Y 4 Ever
Well, they put up 69 points on new Mexico. So we know they are pretty average on offense.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
B
BroncoBot
Y 4 Ever wrote:
Well, they put up 69 points on new Mexico. So we know they are pretty average on offense.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">

TCU's offense hasn't seen near the same offensive numbers without Dalton and co. I'd think that BYU's defense can hold TCU to under 30. BYU's offense should be able to put up over 30. BYU wins. 8)
L
Lawboy
Paschal is good and a dual threat. Willing to bet Bronco has some special looks for this game. Our D looks better by the week. Red zone D will be key. I expect a game in the 20s. Winner is high 20s.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
G
Gunk
Secondary will have to play lights out.Front 7 will have to get pressure on the QB.



TCU has had our number and say what you want about Patterson, but he definitely knows how to game plan for BYU's defense.
Advertisement
A
a1247
I want BYU to win this game almost as much as the Utah game. I hope the players and coachs get up for this game and dont pass it off as "just another chance to go out and try to perform up to our potential" I know coach Patterson isnt thinking this is "just another game". The cougs need to get the same hate and fire that TCU seems to always have for BYU.

Dont let the fact that TCU has lost 2 games this year fool you. There still a good team. Dont let the current 4 game winning streak for BYU against less than steller compition fool you into any kind of thinking this is an easy win. BYU have better bring there new found offense with the defense that gave Ole Miss and Texas fits if they expect to have any chance of beating TCU.
I
imuakahuku
Lawboy wrote:
Paschal is good and a dual threat. Willing to bet Bronco has some special looks for this game. Our D looks better by the week. Red zone D will be key. I expect a game in the 20s. Winner is high 20s.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">


From the games I saw, I would say "good" is an optomistic view of him. He has been very average in all the games I watched. I think we have a very good chance of winning that game. I really liked most of Riley's throws today. He is looking better and better. I hope Heaps is up for wearing "red" for a year. It would be the best thing for the team (provided Riley continues to increase in his ability to pass).
C
Cougarbib
TCU has been improving. RIght now - TCU is better than any team we played this year was at the time we played them.



But we had a great shot at Texas in their house and were actually smacking the Utes around until the wheels fell off.



If we play 4 quarters of solid Riley Ball - we have a shot at a 1 point win in this game on the (un)neutral field.
C
Cougs_Rule
That's hedging. If we play 4 SOLID qtrs of Riley ball, we win this game by more than a squeek out 1 point.

Get rid of the short out. TCU will be salivating and jumping at those. RN threw several passes too late. Can't do that w tcu speed.

I will go on record: If we avoid turnovers, we win this game!



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
S
SpiffCoug
dmcougar wrote:
That's hedging. If we play 4 SOLID qtrs of Riley ball, we win this game by more than a squeek out 1 point.

Get rid of the short out. TCU will be salivating and jumping at those. RN threw several passes too late. Can't do that w tcu speed.

I will go on record: If we avoid turnovers, we win this game!



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">

Agreed.
Advertisement
C
Cougarbib
SpiffCoug wrote:
That's hedging. If we play 4 SOLID qtrs of Riley ball, we win this game by more than a squeek out 1 point.

Get rid of the short out. TCU will be salivating and jumping at those. RN threw several passes too late. Can't do that w tcu speed.

I will go on record: If we avoid turnovers, we win this game!



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">

Agreed.


If we avoid turnovers and penalties - that would give us 4 quarters of solid Riley ball - and a close win.



I do not expect RIley to pop a PER north of 200 on TCU. I do expect a PER north of 136. If we get that and do not give the game away due to fumbles and penalties, we should win. Special teams or the defense could lose it too. But 4 quarters of solid Riley ball will take pressure off the defense and give them the rest they need throughout the game.



Memo to punt returners and KO returners: letting punts bounce down to the 1, and muffing kick-offs, and fumbling deep in our territory - uh - uh - not against TCU. They are good enough to make us pay. Memo to punter - no shanks.



FIeld position.
This is an archived topic from the original CougarCorner forum. New replies are not accepted.