Archived Topic

Gordon Monson = Larry Flynt of sports journalism

by Dwight · 10/20/2011

Advertisement
D
Dwight
In one week his writings call BYU's opponents the equivalent of hookers (that get paid to visit LES and then go off into the night) and then publishes an article stating that Jake Heaps should transfer to the University of Utah.



Decent, educated people may find it base, or even offensive. Gutter prone Utes are addicted to it.



I am just wondering where his motivation is coming from. What is his history?
A
ABYUFAN
I wondered the same thing. Last month he had an article that basically said that without a doubt that Utah's "program" was ahead of BYU's - but never addressed the points of their "program" that were not. He says "obviously" Jake heaps doesn't want to redshirt next year...but if he transfers, he's have to redshirt next year. He just likes to pick some outlandish statement loosely based on fact and throw it out there....
S
SpiffCoug
Gordon Monson doesn't care about what he writes. He doesn't care or really believe in the opinions he espouses. He cares about page hits and readers' reactions. He's a fake and hollow person who doesn't hold to opinions. He doesn't believe in anything other than wanting people to read or listen to his fake opinions. He doesn't care what you think about what he writes/says because he doesn't either. He just wants you to pay attention to him.
1
1967cougar
My armpit smells better than his journalism.
C
Cougarbib
Having said that



We do have a team coming in for a payday game tomorrow

The WAC did agree to send games our way with four of their weaker teams - who probably need the financial boost

Jake Heaps does not want to red-shirt

Although I think it is always a mistake to transfer - if Jake was to transfer - U of U mentored by Norm Chow beats Eastern Washington, or trying to get PT at UW with Price and Montana vying for PT. Price is better than Jake Heaps. IDK if Montana is.

Utah has moved ahead of BYU in many respects - Norm Chow as OC being 1 example. PAC 12 being another. Beating us twice in a row - one being humiliating is another.



He does have a way of rubbing people the wrong way with his tone - but it is what it is folks.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
Advertisement
T
trueblue72
Cougarbib2 wrote:
Having said that



We do have a team coming in for a payday game tomorrow

The WAC did agree to send games our way with four of their weaker teams - who probably need the financial boost

Jake Heaps does not want to red-shirt

Although I think it is always a mistake to transfer - if Jake was to transfer - U of U mentored by Norm Chow beats Eastern Washington, or trying to get PT at UW with Price and Montana vying for PT. Price is better than Jake Heaps. IDK if Montana is.

Utah has moved ahead of BYU in many respects - Norm Chow as OC being 1 example. PAC 12 being another. Beating us twice in a row - one being humiliating is another.



He does have a way of rubbing people the wrong way with his tone - but it is what it is folks.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">


I do understand what you're saying, but I don't think the U has moved ahead of us with norm chow, his last two stints as oc have been terrible and he was pushed out at sc. I don't think he has upgraded that offense at all.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
A
ABYUFAN
Cougarbib2 wrote:
Having said that

We do have a team coming in for a payday game tomorrow




You mean the day after tomorrow?

Was Utah State a "hooker" according to his reasoning?

I’m sure the folks in Logan would disagree….
Cougarbib2 wrote:

Utah has moved ahead of BYU in many respects - Norm Chow as OC being 1 example.

PAC 12 being another. Beating us twice in a row - one being humiliating is another.

Clearly yes, “Many respects” but they also cannot have a football game AND afternoon classes on the same day. Nor are they on TV as much as we are, nor do they have a stadium that can hold as many as we do. Monson didn't say they were a better program "in many respects" he said that they were something like “unquestionably” the better program


Cougarbib2 wrote:

He does have a way of rubbing people the wrong way with his tone - but it is what it is folks.


Mostly he rubs people the wrong way because he'll loosely base his writing on facts, but ultimately, never let the truth get in the way of a good argument.
C
Cougarbib
trueblue72 wrote:
Having said that



We do have a team coming in for a payday game tomorrow

The WAC did agree to send games our way with four of their weaker teams - who probably need the financial boost

Jake Heaps does not want to red-shirt

Although I think it is always a mistake to transfer - if Jake was to transfer - U of U mentored by Norm Chow beats Eastern Washington, or trying to get PT at UW with Price and Montana vying for PT. Price is better than Jake Heaps. IDK if Montana is.

Utah has moved ahead of BYU in many respects - Norm Chow as OC being 1 example. PAC 12 being another. Beating us twice in a row - one being humiliating is another.



He does have a way of rubbing people the wrong way with his tone - but it is what it is folks.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ]

http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">


Well - he came into the season with a new scheme, a partially healed starter, a QB behind him with no D1 snaps, an injury depleted and rebuilt OL, 3 RBs with zip D1 experience - and managed to kick our rookie OC with a returning starter on a roll and with tons of potential, and 10 returning starters and humiliated us. It sure looked like a step up.



I do understand what you're saying, but I don't think the U has moved ahead of us with norm chow, his last two stints as oc have been terrible and he was pushed out at sc. I don't think he has upgraded that offense at all.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">


[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
C
Cougarbib
PS - USC fans are still ticked at Pete Caroll for forcing out Chow. They would take Chow back in a heartbeat. My boss is a well-connected USC alum and I hear him rave all the time about Chow, Sark, and even KWhitt. They do not like Kiffin and do nit seem to miss Pete.



Net: USC respects Utah and BYU. Utah more in the present. BYU more in the sense of former Cougars like Norm, KWhitt, and Sark.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
C
Cougarbib
ABYUFAN wrote:
Having said that

We do have a team coming in for a payday game tomorrow




You mean the day after tomorrow?

Was Utah State a "hooker" according to his reasoning?

I’m sure the folks in Logan would disagree….
Cougarbib2 wrote:

Utah has moved ahead of BYU in many respects - Norm Chow as OC being 1 example.

PAC 12 being another. Beating us twice in a row - one being humiliating is another.

Clearly yes, “Many respects” but they also cannot have a football game AND afternoon classes on the same day. Nor are they on TV as much as we are, nor do they have a stadium that can hold as many as we do. Monson didn't say they were a better program "in many respects" he said that they were something like “unquestionably” the better program


Cougarbib2 wrote:

He does have a way of rubbing people the wrong way with his tone - but it is what it is folks.


Mostly he rubs people the wrong way because he'll loosely base his writing on facts, but ultimately, never let the truth get in the way of a good argument.


I did not defend his tone or writing style. He is a jerk most of the time. He should not call any of these schools prostitutes. There are better metaphors he could have used. But they are payday games. WAC and some MWC teams have been playing for money once or twice a year out of necessity for decades.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
Advertisement
1
1967cougar
Cougarbib2 wrote:
Cougarbib2 wrote:
Having said that

We do have a team coming in for a payday game tomorrow




You mean the day after tomorrow?

Was Utah State a "hooker" according to his reasoning?

I’m sure the folks in Logan would disagree….
Cougarbib2 wrote:

Utah has moved ahead of BYU in many respects - Norm Chow as OC being 1 example.

PAC 12 being another. Beating us twice in a row - one being humiliating is another.

Clearly yes, “Many respects” but they also cannot have a football game AND afternoon classes on the same day. Nor are they on TV as much as we are, nor do they have a stadium that can hold as many as we do. Monson didn't say they were a better program "in many respects" he said that they were something like “unquestionably” the better program


Cougarbib2 wrote:

He does have a way of rubbing people the wrong way with his tone - but it is what it is folks.


Mostly he rubs people the wrong way because he'll loosely base his writing on facts, but ultimately, never let the truth get in the way of a good argument.


I did not defend his tone or writing style. He is a jerk most of the time. He should not call any of these schools prostitutes. There are better metaphors he could have used. But they are payday games. WAC and some MWC teams have been playing for money once or twice a year out of necessity for decades.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">


By his reasoning, Utah is a prostitute for joining the Pac-12, no?
L
LamarAlexander#2
Cougarbib2 wrote:
Having said that



Although I think it is always a mistake to transfer - if Jake was to transfer - U of U mentored by Norm Chow beats Eastern Washington, or trying to get PT at UW with Price and Montana vying for PT. Price is better than Jake Heaps. IDK if Montana is.


I don't know if you're trolling. I give you the benefit of the doubt because a lot of BYU fans tend to think everything is a contest between the Utes & the Cougars. But the University of Utah is not a hot commodity in the eyes of young men from Washington. It just isn't.



And if Heaps is looking for a clean break from the situation at BYU, the best way to achieve that is by leaving the state.
D
Ddawg
SpiffCoug wrote:
Gordon Monson doesn't care about what he writes. He doesn't care or really believe in the opinions he espouses. He cares about page hits and readers' reactions. He's a fake and hollow person who doesn't hold to opinions. He doesn't believe in anything other than wanting people to read or listen to his fake opinions. He doesn't care what you think about what he writes/says because he doesn't either. He just wants you to pay attention to him.




Thank you! "El Gordo" is a putrid, arrogant punk. His opinions suck, his style sucks. You hit it right on the head - he is a hollow, arrogant, self centered pile. Can I say: POS. I have good friends that are in his ward - I know what I am saying.
T
trueblue72
Monson normally doesn't bother me, I think he articles and talk show do what they're intended to do... stir the s***. However I think this article is ridiculous. Norm chow was run out of sc, he sucked in the NFL, he was terrible at ucla (not all his fault) and so far at Utah i'm not impressed. For a guy who is known for developing qbs it sure has been a while since he developed one. I don't think heaps go to the U, I want him to stay, bit ultimately with Washington state losing their qb, I can see him going there they are more spread and wing it. I don't want to see him leave but I think he will. Although his family moved to Utah so maybe that up's the chance he goes to the U. I don't know! Aggggghhhhh!



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
D
Dcr36
Can we just ignore this guy? He brings nothing unique to the conversation.
Advertisement
D
Ddawg
Heaps does not leave. He does what young QB's do - he earns his way into the starting role. He goes to school (learning & absorbing & honing his skills). Perhaps he redshirts next year. But. 2 years from now - Jake is the man & he kicks heavy a$$!
B
BerliNY
Dcr36 wrote:
Can we just ignore this guy? He brings nothing unique to the conversation.


I'm done reading Monson as well as Mike Reilly. Now, since I know that they get paid based on the number of clicks their articles get, I refuse to click on anything with either of their names on it.
B
blue42
SpiffCoug wrote:
Gordon Monson doesn't care about what he writes. He doesn't care or really believe in the opinions he espouses. He cares about page hits and readers' reactions. He's a fake and hollow person who doesn't hold to opinions. He doesn't believe in anything other than wanting people to read or listen to his fake opinions. He doesn't care what you think about what he writes/says because he doesn't either. He just wants you to pay attention to him.


And this is the reason I never read or listen to anything he says, I don't want him or his bosses to see hits on his poopy stories.
G
Gunk
BerliNY wrote:
Can we just ignore this guy? He brings nothing unique to the conversation.


I'm done reading Monson as well as Mike Reilly. Now, since I know that they get paid based on the number of clicks their articles get, I refuse to click on anything with either of their names on it.


I refuse to read any article in the Daily Herald.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
S
Schmoe
I haven't read a Monson article in a long time (not counting the Monson articles in the Ensign, of course).
Page 1 of 2
This is an archived topic from the original CougarCorner forum. New replies are not accepted.