Archived Topic

Cougar Tip Off Wed. Oct. 26

by hawkwing · 10/20/2011

Advertisement
G
Guest
Come get the first look at the 2011-12 BYU Basketball team. The Cougar Tipoff will include an impressive introduction of this year's team, a blue vs. white scrimmage, hafltime giveaways, and post game autographs with free posters.



Marriott Center doors will open at 6 PM. The event is FREE to every human.


Join the CougarCorner staff for the Cougar Tipoff. Maybe we can have dinner first and enjoy the tipoff after? Anyone interested?
S
SpiffCoug
Possibly in with two CougarCornerCubs in tow.
G
Gunk
I am interested; however, given the distance won't be able to make it. Please drink some Brick Oven root beer on my behalf.
B
beauso79
Wonder who will step up at point is the big question?? We might be pretty sad until Carlino can suit up and please don't say Zylstra is any kind of answer either. I think Winder is our main hope there right now



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
S
SpiffCoug
I have more hope in Zylstra for next season than Winder. Zylstra is much more experienced and the teams he showed well against on the Europe trip - a few of them - were somewhat decent. That Italian team he put 27 on had a few NBAers.
Advertisement
Q
Qman
SpiffCoug wrote:
I have more hope in Zylstra for next season than Winder. Zylstra is much more experienced and the teams he showed well against on the Europe trip - a few of them - were somewhat decent. That Italian team he put 27 on had a few NBAers.


Despite his great performance in a exhibition game, I have two big concerns with Zylstra- will he be able to guard PGs? He has good size but he never seemed quick enough to guard 2's in the past. My other big concern is he lacks the skill and/or athletic ability to get the rim. So he isn't going to be breaking down the D. So someone else is going to need to be a playmaker when we aren't feeding the post.



Over the summer Harrison seemed to the skills to be distributor but not the mindset.



I really hope that Carlino is as good as everyone seems to think he is.
B
beauso79
SpiffCoug wrote:
I have more hope in Zylstra for next season than Winder. Zylstra is much more experienced and the teams he showed well against on the Europe trip - a few of them - were somewhat decent. That Italian team he put 27 on had a few NBAers.


I guess I'm not as optimistic as you are about Zylstra. Winder is a much better athlete but I guess we'll see



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
S
SpiffCoug
I'm just trying to put a little more faith in guy I've actually seen, and who has played well over some guy who has never produced.
B
beauso79
SpiffCoug wrote:
I'm just trying to put a little more faith in guy I've actually seen, and who has played well over some guy who has never produced.


Winder Red shirted so I don't think you can rule out production from him because he hasn't had a chance to do so



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
S
scott715
He had the trip this summer and there was not much production.
Advertisement
S
SpiffCoug
beauso79 wrote:
I'm just trying to put a little more faith in guy I've actually seen, and who has played well over some guy who has never produced.


Winder Red shirted so I don't think you can rule out production from him because he hasn't had a chance to do so



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">

Correct, so why don't we wait until we actually see what he can do, before we start saying he should be playing above someone we have seen.
B
beauso79
SpiffCoug wrote:
SpiffCoug wrote:
I'm just trying to put a little more faith in guy I've actually seen, and who has played well over some guy who has never produced.


Winder Red shirted so I don't think you can rule out production from him because he hasn't had a chance to do so



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">

Correct, so why don't we wait until we actually see what he can do, before we start saying he should be playing above someone we have seen.


Cause we've seen what Zylstra can do already. Not much



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
S
SpiffCoug
beauso79 wrote:
beauso79 wrote:
I'm just trying to put a little more faith in guy I've actually seen, and who has played well over some guy who has never produced.


Winder Red shirted so I don't think you can rule out production from him because he hasn't had a chance to do so



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">

Correct, so why don't we wait until we actually see what he can do, before we start saying he should be playing above someone we have seen.


Cause we've seen what Zylstra can do already. Not much



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">

Got it. We'll discount the summer tour to Europe and count on the player with less experience who did even less on the summer tour.
G
Guest
Why am I suddenly reminded of fans and their sure knowledge that Riley Nelson cannot throw the ball more than 10 yards.
B
beauso79
Wow, seriously. Comparing Riley and Zylstra, that's funny. A scholarship player to a walk on that has a scholarship because they couldn't find anyone better to give one to. If you think people are sold on Riley you're mistaken. Lets see him against a decent defense first



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
Advertisement
Q
Qman
beauso79 wrote:
Wow, seriously. Comparing Riley and Zylstra, that's funny. A scholarship player to a walk on that has a scholarship because they couldn't find anyone better to give one to. If you think people are sold on Riley you're mistaken. Lets see him against a decent defense first



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">


I am not saying he can't be a good player for us or a good surprise. I just doubt his is going to be effect at PG except in very short stints with us playing zone the whole time.
G
Gunk
beauso79 wrote:
Wow, seriously. Comparing Riley and Zylstra, that's funny. A scholarship player to a walk on that has a scholarship because they couldn't find anyone better to give one to. If you think people are sold on Riley you're mistaken. Lets see him against a decent defense first



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">


Before I make any serious judgment on whether Zylstra can run the point, I'll wait to see what he can do. Zylstra, like it or not, has more experience and we all know the kid hussles and plays hard. I'll give Zylstra the benefit of the doubt.



Euro ball tends to be a bit more defensive minded than NBA/U.S. ball, so the fact Zylstra hooped it up in Europe should carry some weight.



Jimmer was the exception to the prototypical BYU PG. I suspect we'll see a return to the traditional BYU PG this season; a passer first, shooter second with enough ball handling skills to just take care of the ball, not a create-their-own-shot player.



The strength of our offense this season is going to be our inside/out game. In to Davies, Noah (if he can develop an inside game), or Collinsworth and back out to an open guard/forward on the wing. Zylstra can drain it from there. Don't expect a lot of drives to the basket and fancy finishing around the rim from this lot.



True, Abouo, Harrison and possibly Carlino can bring it down the lane, but that won't be a staple in this offense like it was when we had Jimmer and the team practically stayed out of the middle to open up space for Jimmer to take it to the hole if Jimmer decided that's what he wanted to do.
A
AZman
Zylstra was just named a captain....if that carries any weight in determining a starting lineup has yet to be seen, Our backcourt is a mystery in my eyes. Zylstra and Martineau are the most experienced guards. We could start Rogers at the 3 and Abouo at the 2, which would give us a tall but slow lineup, so I don't think that is likely. I think Winder will play the point with either Zylstra or Harrison at the 2 until Carlino is eligble.



P.S. I'll be at the tip-off definitely. I could show up to eat somewhere as well but most likely will just hit up the festivities at the Marriott.
G
Guest
Lets plan on meeting at 5 Star BBQ at 5pm for those who want to hang out with the rest of the CougarCorner crew.
This is an archived topic from the original CougarCorner forum. New replies are not accepted.