Archived Topic

Harmon speaks

by Kajdin · 10/20/2011

Advertisement
M
Mingjai
Now we're just waiting on a more positive sign from Greg Wrubell. As soon as Wrubell falls in line, then joining the Big 12 is a mere formality...
G
Guest
Mingjai wrote:
Now we're just waiting on a more positive sign from Greg Wrubell. As soon as Wrubell falls in line, then joining the Big 12 is a mere formality...

There's a lot of truth to this statement.



The thing I think we can all learn from Harmon is this: If you have an opinion, or a hope, it's fine to share it. But don't pretend that Tom Holmoe whispered it in your ear. I like how he said he didn't have an inside source on it.



** I just want to clarify that I'm not talking about any posters here. If anything I think we had some inside sources telling our posters here and on twitter what they hoped, but worded it too strongly.
C
CougarClaw
Here's another way to think about this article.



Suppose Harmon knows something, can't quote anyone.People have told him it's a matter of time or when it's time you'll be the one to break the story (since the Trib is dead to BYU after Monson and Drew disaster articles)...and Harmon knows...something.



but he can't share, so who does he quote? himself. The man needs to make a living. And at no point does he say he's just sharing an opinion, in fact, after re-reading it I get the distinct impression that he is speaking from knowledge and not speculation.



makes sense to me. I think there's more behind this article than a simple guess or opinion... and I wouldn't be surprised to learn later that this article was the first genuine 'leak' from the admin that we've had all year. (at least according to all MY insider sources. ;)
D
Dcr36
CougarClaw wrote:
And at no point does he say he's just sharing an opinion


He did, though. On his twitter account he said the article was "simple opinion."
Advertisement
S
scott715
Maybe he is playing a Chip Brown to help get this done.
C
CougarClaw
Dcr36 wrote:
And at no point does he say he's just sharing an opinion


He did, though. On his twitter account he said the article was "simple opinion."


He does say that he's not quoting "insider sources" and I obviously haven't read twitter, but my point is that I still think there's more than mere speculation in that there Harmon article. And if it's not time to release anything, this is exactly the way I'd do it too.
G
Gunk
CougarClaw wrote:
Here's another way to think about this article.



Suppose Harmon knows something, can't quote anyone.People have told him it's a matter of time or when it's time you'll be the one to break the story (since the Trib is dead to BYU after Monson and Drew disaster articles)...and Harmon knows...something.



but he can't share, so who does he quote? himself. The man needs to make a living. And at no point does he say he's just sharing an opinion, in fact, after re-reading it I get the distinct impression that he is speaking from knowledge and not speculation.



makes sense to me. I think there's more behind this article than a simple guess or opinion... and I wouldn't be surprised to learn later that this article was the first genuine 'leak' from the admin that we've had all year. (at least according to all MY insider sources. ;)


Harmon doesn't know more than lawboy, maybe less. He does, however, have a lot of experience being around BYU brass, which is more than lawboy.



BYU will not risk giving Harmon or any other journalist, including Wrubell, any sort of inside information. As Harmon mentions BYU is very sensitive about its brand. To control ones brand you must control perception. To control perception you must control the messaging. Giving hints or inside information to journalists is not controling the message unless you are doing so on purpose to leak information. This is not BYU's style. Loose lips sink ships and you need only look back at the Davies experience to realize such. BYU won't risk something getting out they aren't prepared to talk about.



Furthermore, when we do hear about it, BYU will call a press conference. They won't give Harmon or any other journalist an exclusive. With news this big, that would be foolish plus it would show special treatment to a single local journalist, which you want to keep all content.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
D
Ddawg
Mingjai wrote:
Now we're just waiting on a more positive sign from Greg Wrubell. As soon as Wrubell falls in line, then joining the Big 12 is a mere formality...


I'd like to agree with you - BUT ...... nothing happens around here until "El Gordo" Monson writes about it! Just ask him - he'll tell ya. How much time do ya have? Pull up a chair & crack a tall Diet Coke. LOL!

;) :whistle: :lol:
S
shakavaka
I heard him on 1320 this morning, and I could have sworn he said he had sources but wasn't going to name them....
Advertisement
E
EM_Puma
This was what had me incensed:



"It was the right thing to do. And for many, it was enough to just hear somebody from BYU say something, anything, to publicly acknowledge an issue."



Dick Harmon points out how passionate and brilliant the leadership of BYU was. No one should have denied that point, but what TH did Saturday was what they should have done before then. It wasn't that much that was said, but the lack of any mention of the issue was in itself insulting. At least it was to me.



I'm surprised that Dick Harmon would go out on the limb and state what he believes will happen because that will only fuel some of the fire of expansion talk, but it's hard to not want the brass ring and right now the Big 12 is the brass ring.
D
Dcr36
EM_Puma wrote:
This was what had me incensed:



"It was the right thing to do. And for many, it was enough to just hear somebody from BYU say something, anything, to publicly acknowledge an issue."



Dick Harmon points out how passionate and brilliant the leadership of BYU was. No one should have denied that point, but what TH did Saturday was what they should have done before then. It wasn't that much that was said, but the lack of any mention of the issue was in itself insulting. At least it was to me.



I'm surprised that Dick Harmon would go out on the limb and state what he believes will happen because that will only fuel some of the fire of expansion talk, but it's hard to not want the brass ring and right now the Big 12 is the brass ring.


He talked about this a little on 1320. Felt the timing may have been influenced by BoT stuff. Don't remember the specifics and really don't care to; I'm happy with independence at the moment and won't worry about alternatives until they're confirmed.
L
Lawboy
The fact DH gave his opinion pretty much leads me to believe that BYU is Big XII bound. IF there is a Chip Brown equivalent at BYU, if it DH. Except, BYU has not used him in the same way that Texas uses Chip for realignment(they do for other issues). Big article. I changed my sig pick in honor of it.



Enjoy.
C
Cougarpoke
I don't really know what to think of this article because it seems to me that DH was intentionally vague about his "sources" or lack thereof in making his opinion. DH has never really been one to make such a bold prediction when it comes to realignment. Generally he writes about the team and other fluff pieces. The fact that he came out and said BYU was B12 regardless of what happens is very interesting. I can't help but think this was an intentional "leak" of information to set something up for the coming weeks...otherwise DH is putting a lot on the line.
J
jonnylingo
This article mean nothing to me. the only credence it has is that he is so emphatic that we are in. if he were wrong it would make him look stupid evne though he said he had no sources and was guessing. on the other hand he knew it would increase his visibility and get some traffic going his way. he has incentive to do it. he could have some information that was 'off the record' but i doubt it.



i don't read anything into this. when the announcement comes from byu i will believe it. until then, things change to quickly to put stock into anything really.
Advertisement
M
Mingjai
Gunk wrote:
To control perception you must control the messaging. Giving hints or inside information to journalists is not controling the message unless you are doing so on purpose to leak information. This is not BYU's style. Loose lips sink ships and you need only look back at the Davies experience to realize such. BYU won't risk something getting out they aren't prepared to talk about.


Or, in BYU's case:



http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2433/3657942692_c5a22c3177.jpg" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">



I guess that why the have their twitter rules for journalists.
I
Isola
This is interesting.



Jay Drew just expressed the same sentiment on the Rise & Shout Podcast 40 that you can find on http://loyalcougars.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;. He said he wasn't ready to put it in print yet, but that he think BYU to the Big 12 is going to happen. It is at about the 2:20 mark.



This is very interesting.
L
Lawboy
I think BYU had negotiated seriously with the Big XII previously, the Big XII really wanted BYU, but for some reason BYU was going to decide to stay Indy for a while. Then TCU got added, the BYU fan meltdown happened, and BYU and the admin realized what effect it could have on the program to stay Indy(not great) vs. Big XII (great), in terms of donor funds.



BE movements also had an effect, and BYU could no longer stand pat. We are not Notre Dame in many aspects, but mostly in terms of geography. They are central to many high caliber leagues with options. We are not. Big XII may not come around again, so gotta leap now or risk long term exclusion, because the PAC will not come knocking.
C
Cougarfan87
And now this. http://missouri.rivals.com/content.asp?CID=1281657.



I think Big XII will add three. I'm hopeful BYU is one of them, but I am keeping in the back of my mind Utah's cautionary tale of being careful what we wish for. And I am keeping in the fore front of my mind how often BYU has been left out, so it would not surprise me if it happened again.
I
Isola
Lawboy wrote:
I think BYU had negotiated seriously with the Big XII previously, the Big XII really wanted BYU, but for some reason BYU was going to decide to stay Indy for a while. Then TCU got added, the BYU fan meltdown happened, and BYU and the admin realized what effect it could have on the program to stay Indy(not great) vs. Big XII (great), in terms of donor funds.



BE movements also had an effect, and BYU could no longer stand pat. We are not Notre Dame in many aspects, but mostly in terms of geography. They are central to many high caliber leagues with options. We are not. Big XII may not come around again, so gotta leap now or risk long term exclusion, because the PAC will not come knocking.

I think you are projecting your feelings on the entire fan base. I know you said your donations would decrease, but I'm not sure if that is what happened.



If things have changed I don't think it is donors threatening to without donations, I think it is that the Big 12 is looking more stable now than it did when A&M announced they were leaving. The Pac 12 turning down schools, plus the revenue sharing deal, plus the addition of TCU make the Big 12 look far more stable than it did a month ago.



Besides, Indy is pretty sweet. Big Conferences aren't always better. I think we saw that with the Oregon State game telecast. BYU's worst home game, media wise, is this weekend on BYUTV, which is still better than last weeks coverage, and BYU is playing Idaho State for the game.



Plus I love the variety of opposition in football. Definite plus there.
Page 1 of 2
This is an archived topic from the original CougarCorner forum. New replies are not accepted.