Archived Topic

WSU two year deal

by Dwight · 10/18/2011

Advertisement
D
Dwight
I was happy to see the two year WSU deal. WSU is on the upswing. They are favored to beat OSU this week (although I'd rather they didn't). I live out here and will attend when the game is in Pullman.



I did make the mistake of reading the comments in the SLTRIB article. They are worth a good laugh as Ute fans apparently are critical because WSU is a Pac 12 bottom dweller. I guess we shouldn't schedule the Utes next year either then. LOL :lol:
D
Dcr36
This has been rumored for a while, is it official now? Link?
D
Dwight
When I went to retrieve this link I couldn't help but notice that Gordo Monson is comparing BYU's schedule to hiring a bunch of hookers. For some reason I think he may know something about that.
D
Dcr36
Cool. That's good news in my book.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
Advertisement
G
Guest
Dcr36 wrote:
Cool. That's good news in my book.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">


The scheduling news, or hiring hookers? :bug: :lol:
B
BYUby40
...good news that Gordon Monson may know something about hiring a bunch of hookers? :lol: You beat me to it, Hawkwing!
L
LamarAlexander#2
Just read Gordo's blurb on BYU's schedule. Wow, what a bitter dude. Glad I don't live in Utah. If he's any sort of indicator of how Ute fans act, they must be insufferable. In a year where Utah spanked BYU 54-10, he's playing the BCS card?



I just don't see Jon Wilner writing with such venom towards San Jose State if Stanford was having a bad year.
S
snoscythe
Wait.....doesn't this mean BYU to the Big XII is dead as our 2012 schedule is now full (and fairly decent)????
B
BoiseBYU
snoscythe wrote:
Wait.....doesn't this mean BYU to the Big XII is dead as our 2012 schedule is now full (and fairly decent)????

Only someone who does not read and rely upon tweets could draw such a conclusion! ;)
Advertisement
D
Dcr36
snoscythe wrote:
Wait.....doesn't this mean BYU to the Big XII is dead as our 2012 schedule is now full (and fairly decent)????


I don't think anything means anything anymore. But isn't 2012 out of the question at this point anyway, since Mizzou is sticking around for at least one more year?
D
Dcr36
LamarAlexander#2 wrote:
Just read Gordo's blurb on BYU's schedule. Wow, what a bitter dude. Glad I don't live in Utah. If he's any sort of indicator of how Ute fans act, they must be insufferable. In a year where Utah spanked BYU 54-10, he's playing the BCS card?



I just don't see Jon Wilner writing with such venom towards San Jose State if Stanford was having a bad year.


This is why I don't get upset at Gordon Monson any more than I get upset at any other partisan hack. When he writes about us, he writes for two audiences: a) the worst sort of Utah fans that thrive on anti-BYU red meat, and b) BYU fans who let themselves get trolled. I understand people are going to read him, but his "audience" is one that whose opinions I could care less about. After he wrote his post-blowout article, I knew EXACTLY whom among my friends was going to link his article on Facebook, and it's the same friends I blocked months before.



If you ever need another reason to feel good about being a BYU fan, there's this: I can't think of ANY blue-goggled sportswriter who is CLOSE to our equivalent of Gordon Monson. Utes don't like Greg Wrubell, but that's just because he's a homer, not because he's a punk.
G
Gunk
Dwight wrote:
When I went to retrieve this link I couldn't help but notice that Gordo Monson is comparing BYU's schedule to hiring a bunch of hookers. For some reason I think he may know something about that.


That was a horrible article.



He also tries to claim :utard: is one of only two "decent" teams BYU has played. I would love to have that game back.



:utard: is 3 - 3 right now, having beat Montana State, BYU and Pittsburgh. :utard: is 0 - 3 in the Pac12 and the only reason they aren't dead last in the Pac12 is because Arizona is 0 - 4. Only five teams in the Pac12 have winning records right now; that's with the cupcakes each of the teams scheduled at the beginning of their seasons. :utard: will finish the season with a losing record.



WSU will finish higher than :utard:
L
LamarAlexander#2
Dcr36 wrote:

This is why I don't get upset at Gordon Monson any more than I get upset at any other partisan hack. When he writes about us, he writes for two audiences: a) the worst sort of Utah fans that thrive on anti-BYU red meat, and b) BYU fans who let themselves get trolled.


Heh. I took the bait. Lesson learned.



Back on topic, I do like the Wazzu game. Reminds me of that Simpsons episode:



"Who are we?"

"The Wildcats!"

"Who are we going to beat?"

"The Wildcats!"



I was beginning to worry that the PAC might coordinate an effort to starve BYU of west-coast BCS scheduling partners. It is not in their interest to support a competing team in the Utah market.



I guess that's being paranoid, though. BYU will bring fans. That has to be important to a team like Wazzu, Stanford or ASU. There are a lot of teams that normally struggle to fill their stadium. West-coast fans are a fickle bunch.
I
Isola
I am excited about this game. I went to the UW game a few years back and the Oregon State game last week, but Pullman is tons closer and should be lots cheaper too. $65 was too much for me to take my 5 year old son to, but WSU tickets are $20-40 for adults and $15 for youths, and he'll be 7 by then.



Boise State is another game in my neck of the woods, but WSU is closer, is a more likely win and tickets will be cheaper and more readily available. I will feel more comfortable taking my kids to Pullman than to the hostile environment of Bronco Stadium. Not saying Boise State isn't safe, I just don't want that to be my kids first BYU football experience.



I think getting to play road games in a variety of places is a huge plus of being independent. Instead of trips to the same 8 road conference games every other year, the team gets to go all over the place and more of their fans get to see them play.
Advertisement
I
Isola
Oh, one more thought. WSU plays Utah this year in Pullman and there is a chance they play them in 2013 as well. It would be interesting to see which game has higher priced tickets and higher attendance.
G
Gunk
Isola wrote:
Oh, one more thought. WSU plays Utah this year in Pullman and there is a chance they play them in 2013 as well. It would be interesting to see which game has higher priced tickets and higher attendance.

:crazy:
This is an archived topic from the original CougarCorner forum. New replies are not accepted.