Archived Topic

Comparing Unga and Alisa

by frdbtr · 10/18/2011

Advertisement
F
frdbtr
I keep hearing people say "I thought I was watching Unga again" while talking about Mike Alisa. I personally didn't see it......until I watched True Blue last night. They played back to back video of the 2 and I thought I was watching the same guy. Alisa has a LONG way to go to match Unga's productivity but they look EXACTLY alike the way they carry the ball, and thier body movements while running. I couldn't believe my eyes. I guess I can definately see the similarities now. I wonder if Alisa watched Unga in practice at Timpview and at BYU and tried to mimmick him in the mirror or something. Unbelievable.
G
Guest
Come on guys, you know we can't compare first time starters to people who went on to be great. I would hate for all the people who freaked out when people pointed out similarities between Riley and Young, Tebow, or Detmer to blow a gasket here!
S
snoscythe
hawkwing wrote:
Come on guys, you know we can't compare first time starters to people who went on to be great. I would hate for all the people who freaked out when people pointed out similarities between Riley and Young, Tebow, or Detmer to blow a gasket here!


But saying Heaps will be the best ever and he'll be better than any other QB for BYU while winning multiple Heismans along the way is just being reasonable...
C
CougarClaw
snoscythe wrote:
Come on guys, you know we can't compare first time starters to people who went on to be great. I would hate for all the people who freaked out when people pointed out similarities between Riley and Young, Tebow, or Detmer to blow a gasket here!


But saying Heaps will be the best ever and he'll be better than any other QB for BYU while winning multiple Heismans along the way is just being reasonable...


might as well also throw out that Doman will be able to match Anae's 35 ppg average (or whatever it is) in Doman's first season since he is everything Anae is, minus all the negatives on our way to endless national Championships....also being reasonable. =)
B
byu6584
snoscythe wrote:
Come on guys, you know we can't compare first time starters to people who went on to be great. I would hate for all the people who freaked out when people pointed out similarities between Riley and Young, Tebow, or Detmer to blow a gasket here!


But saying Heaps will be the best ever and he'll be better than any other QB for BYU while winning multiple Heismans along the way is just being reasonable...


Somebody better get the word to Bronco and Houston that it is 'silly', a 'waste of time', and 'an insult to Unga' to make such comparisons. :whistle:



http://www.deseretnews.com/article/700189340/BYU-notebook-Michael-Alisa-draws-comparisons-to-former-Cougar-great-Harvey-Unga.html
Advertisement
S
snoscythe
byu6584 wrote:
hawkwing wrote:
Come on guys, you know we can't compare first time starters to people who went on to be great. I would hate for all the people who freaked out when people pointed out similarities between Riley and Young, Tebow, or Detmer to blow a gasket here!


But saying Heaps will be the best ever and he'll be better than any other QB for BYU while winning multiple Heismans along the way is just being reasonable...


Somebody better get the word to Bronco and Houston that it is 'silly', a 'waste of time', and 'an insult to Unga' to make such comparisons. :whistle:



http://www.deseretnews.com/article/700189340/BYU-notebook-Michael-Alisa-draws-comparisons-to-former-Cougar-great-Harvey-Unga.html


I think you missed some sarcasm along the way while reading the thread.....
B
byu6584
snoscythe wrote:
snoscythe wrote:
Come on guys, you know we can't compare first time starters to people who went on to be great. I would hate for all the people who freaked out when people pointed out similarities between Riley and Young, Tebow, or Detmer to blow a gasket here!


But saying Heaps will be the best ever and he'll be better than any other QB for BYU while winning multiple Heismans along the way is just being reasonable...


Somebody better get the word to Bronco and Houston that it is 'silly', a 'waste of time', and 'an insult to Unga' to make such comparisons. :whistle:



http://www.deseretnews.com/article/700189340/BYU-notebook-Michael-Alisa-draws-comparisons-to-former-Cougar-great-Harvey-Unga.html


I think you missed some sarcasm along the way while reading the thread.....


Actually I was trying to make the same point you guys were, in a sarcastic fashion, directed to those who couldn't handle the Nelson/Young comparisons. Did I use the wrong emoticon?
L
Lawboy
Until BYU starts using Alisa in the passing game, there is little comparison. Harvey was used is the run and pass game, and since Alisa started getting his reps, they take him off the field on passing downs now. I think it is to get JJ and BK more reps.



Next year I think the comparisons will be more accurate, because Alisa will probably put on another 10-15 lbs, and become more of a work horse back like Harvey was.



I do love the fact that Alisa runs through tackles and always gets an extra 2 yards after contact like Unga did though. That is the best part of his running. Those legs just keep pumping--just like Harvey.
G
Guest
byu6584 wrote:
byu6584 wrote:
hawkwing wrote:
Come on guys, you know we can't compare first time starters to people who went on to be great. I would hate for all the people who freaked out when people pointed out similarities between Riley and Young, Tebow, or Detmer to blow a gasket here!


But saying Heaps will be the best ever and he'll be better than any other QB for BYU while winning multiple Heismans along the way is just being reasonable...


Somebody better get the word to Bronco and Houston that it is 'silly', a 'waste of time', and 'an insult to Unga' to make such comparisons. :whistle:



http://www.deseretnews.com/article/700189340/BYU-notebook-Michael-Alisa-draws-comparisons-to-former-Cougar-great-Harvey-Unga.html


I think you missed some sarcasm along the way while reading the thread.....


Actually I was trying to make the same point you guys were, in a sarcastic fashion, directed to those who couldn't handle the Nelson/Young comparisons. Did I use the wrong emoticon?


Sarcasm on Sarcasm on Sarcasm! I love it! :evil: :evil: :evil:
S
snoscythe
hawkwing wrote:
snoscythe wrote:
snoscythe wrote:
Come on guys, you know we can't compare first time starters to people who went on to be great. I would hate for all the people who freaked out when people pointed out similarities between Riley and Young, Tebow, or Detmer to blow a gasket here!


But saying Heaps will be the best ever and he'll be better than any other QB for BYU while winning multiple Heismans along the way is just being reasonable...


Somebody better get the word to Bronco and Houston that it is 'silly', a 'waste of time', and 'an insult to Unga' to make such comparisons. :whistle:



http://www.deseretnews.com/article/700189340/BYU-notebook-Michael-Alisa-draws-comparisons-to-former-Cougar-great-Harvey-Unga.html


I think you missed some sarcasm along the way while reading the thread.....


Actually I was trying to make the same point you guys were, in a sarcastic fashion, directed to those who couldn't handle the Nelson/Young comparisons. Did I use the wrong emoticon?


Sarcasm on Sarcasm on Sarcasm! I love it! :evil: :evil: :evil:


We're so smart!
Advertisement
Y
Y4LYFE
hawkwing wrote:
Come on guys, you know we can't compare first time starters to people who went on to be great. I would hate for all the people who freaked out when people pointed out similarities between Riley and Young, Tebow, or Detmer to blow a gasket here!




Unga "could've" been great.
G
golong
I was interested that Bronco says Alisa is faster than Unga, if so Alisa can be a great one. It broke my heart when he busts that 40 yd td run against OSU and had it called back for holding, that was one pretty run. We must also realize that if Alisa was the featured back (as Harvey was), he would have had well over 100 yards in each of the last two games. But we have other backs with talent and who deserve to play also, so he may never be THEE featured back.



Next year we'll lose JJ and Kariya, but Hines will be in the mix, which could be exciting if Hines can be productive. A mister inside and mister outside would be a nice luxury for a BYU team.
M
mizzoucoug
I'm pretty sure Alisa will be the feature back once the year is done. I don't see Hines taking any reps from him on a regular basis unless he has some elite speed, which we don't tend to get around here at RB.
S
scott715
Hines was 4 stars but now he has missionary legs. We will see next year what he truely has.
Advertisement
B
BroncoBot
scott715 wrote:
http://www.deseretnews.com/article/705392841/BYU-football-Scout-team-offense-a-key-to-teams-success.html

This has a report on how Hines has been doing on the Scout team. Sounds like he is getting back to where he was.

I'm not getting excited about another player who has never seen the field. BYU has had too many Chambers/Apos/Heaps lately. I'll let them do their talking on the field before I decide how good these guys are. The media is a large part of why the Heaps situation still stings. They were promoting that poor kid like no other. I bought into the hype, almost everyone did. It was like hearing about a movie for weeks from your friends and then seeing it and deciding "eh, it was ok".



I'm not saying Hine is going to fail, I'm not saying Heaps will never pan out. I just think it would be wise to let Hine have some time to find his groove before we expect him to singlehandedly save BYU football. I'd love another Unga who I really had never heard about before he started playing. Does BYU have a player like that this year who has exceeded expectations all year?
B
Brayden Green
Iona Pritchard... but then he had to go and get hurt. :sulk: :~(
S
snoscythe
declocoug wrote:
http://www.deseretnews.com/article/705392841/BYU-football-Scout-team-offense-a-key-to-teams-success.html

This has a report on how Hines has been doing on the Scout team. Sounds like he is getting back to where he was.

I'm not getting excited about another player who has never seen the field. BYU has had too many Chambers/Apos/Heaps lately. I'll let them do their talking on the field before I decide how good these guys are. The media is a large part of why the Heaps situation still stings. They were promoting that poor kid like no other. I bought into the hype, almost everyone did. It was like hearing about a movie for weeks from your friends and then seeing it and deciding "eh, it was ok".



I'm not saying Hine is going to fail, I'm not saying Heaps will never pan out. I just think it would be wise to let Hine have some time to find his groove before we expect him to singlehandedly save BYU football. I'd love another Unga who I really had never heard about before he started playing. Does BYU have a player like that this year who has exceeded expectations all year?


Hey, if he kills it in HS and on the scout team, and if he has some sick YouTube vids then he is the future and everyone else on the roster is dead weight and overrated trash who wouldn't be on a roster anywhere else in FBS.
This is an archived topic from the original CougarCorner forum. New replies are not accepted.