Archived Topic

Where did the BLITZ go?

by golong · 10/17/2011

Advertisement
G
golong
Unless I missed something, BYU did not blitz once during the OSU game, can someone tell me why? WE have LBs who can blitz and get to the QB, and we have DBs who can get there too. Has Bronco lost is nerve? his aggressiveness? please, somebody tell me why we never got to the QB on Saturday, and why Bronco has stopped blitzing.
S
snoscythe
golong wrote:
Unless I missed something, BYU did not blitz once during the OSU game, can someone tell me why? WE have LBs who can blitz and get to the QB, and we have DBs who can get there too. Has Bronco lost is nerve? his aggressiveness? please, somebody tell me why we never got to the QB on Saturday, and why Bronco has stopped blitzing.


Did you miss Pendelton with the near-sack from which he recovered to get the sack?
W
Wickchad
I saw a few CB blitz's which unfortunately came on running plays or when the QB was rolling away from the blitz.
C
CougarClaw
I saw a few corner blitzes that OSU defended well. In other games, those have resulted in free hits on the QB.
C
CougarClaw
Wickchad84087 wrote:
I saw a few CB blitz's which unfortunately came on running plays or when the QB was rolling away from the blitz.




wow. lol. um. jinx?
Advertisement
C
Cougarbib
Oh where oh where did the little blitz go - oh where oh where did it go - with it's hair cut long and it's ears cut short (Riley Nelson kine haircut), oh where oh where did it go?



There were blitzes. They did not always work. And we got burned by a QB that knew what to do when the blitz came. So wisely, we did it less often.



Go watch the first half of the Utah game with BYU actually winning 10-7 and playing conservative D and the announcers discussing pros and cons of why BYU was not blitzing and me thinking - yeah - pop that other hair cut long and ears cut short girlie QB Wynn one more good one and he is gone for good - and Bronco almost on CUE sends 5 and Wynn finds the TE iirc, over the middle fairly deep and he rumbles over and through DBs overmatched and with wide open spaces to cover. TD - downward spiral from that point forward and we never regained our composure or the lead. Maybe that is where the Blitz went.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
G
golong
Pendleton's sack was not a blitz, if it was, it was a very delayed blitz. But my point is you have a freshman QB on a not very good team, and you just let him sit back and throw? A corner blitz on a run play is not a blitz, it's a DB coming up and making a play on the runner. I just thought our pass D was very poor overall. So I worry about BYU shutting down the run on teams and making them pass--might be the worst thing we could do.
A
AJP
Sorry, but a corner blitz on a run play was still a corner blitz call. It was pretty obvious (maybe a little too much so) when a corner was blitzing, and it wasn't the corner coming up to stop a running play.
Y
Y4LYFE
I gave up on expecting constant blitzes a while ago (2009?) but we have seen more corner blitzes which are awesome when it happens. I'll take Ws over number of blitzes bottom line.
M
Mars
golong wrote:
Pendleton's sack was not a blitz, if it was, it was a very delayed blitz.

Yeah, linebackers usually cover the offensive backfield for receivers...
Advertisement
S
Schmoe
golong wrote:
Pendleton's sack was not a blitz, if it was, it was a very delayed blitz.


You mean the play where he lined up on the line of scrimmage and flew untouched straight to the QB, but missed him? Yeah, definitely a "delayed" blitz :roll:
S
SpiffCoug
Oregon St has given up 9 sacks all year. They have a pretty good pass blocking line.
B
blue42
Don't forget Van Noy almost got him with a blitz as well, in fact Van Noy got his hands on the QB but he was able to step out of it and throw the pass.



Remember BYU plays a 3-4, that means 3 guys rushing the Qb so anytime you have more than 3 that crosses the LOS, that means someone is blitzing.
D
Dwight
Any chance BYU is saving defensive or offensive plays to spring on TCU? or have these two coaches played each other so many times that there is no surprise? I think it would be funny if Van Noy started tying his shoes before each play. By the way, I saw a very cool play where a QB handed off to the running back who in turn ran lateraly and then passed the ball back to the QB who was wide open and ran it in for a TD. It made me wonder if we have a RB that could pull that off, because I think Riley would catch it and run like a mad man.
F
frdbtr
I think what we are seeing is what Bronco said after the SJSU game. He didn't think that OSU could beat us by kicking field goals. Unfortunately, they either missed thier fg's or BYU gave up TD's. Technically since we gave up only 14 offensive points until that last garbage time TD, the philosophy worked pretty well. I also wonder if Bronco game planned this specifically because OSU liked to mass protect thier QB with an extra tight end and he knew that blitzing would be picked up and we would give up big pass plays. Bronco has always been pretty creative at coming up with unique blitz packages to catch Olines by surprise. I am frankly a bit surprised that we haven't seen that lately, unless he is saving it for the right opponent (TCU anyone?). Anyway, as long as we keep winning, I couldn't care less how many points we give up even though on game day it is pretty irritating to see an offense drive the length of the field and score with what appears to be little resistance.
Advertisement
M
Mingjai
blue42 wrote:
Remember BYU plays a 3-4, that means 3 guys rushing the Qb so anytime you have more than 3 that crosses the LOS, that means someone is blitzing.


By definition, I suppose.



But I'd say you're not really blitzing unless you rush more than 4. BYU's biggest challenge is getting a middle pass rush--when the OLBs like Pendleton or Van Noy or CBs blitz, BYU gets some pressure. Getting a good push up the middle depends on the DL and the ILBs (when they blitz).
G
golong
Again, maybe I've missed it with Bronco, but the most effective blitzes I've seen with other teams is where the DLineman actually blocks or moves the OLineman aside, creating a lane for the linebacker to get a straight shot at the QB, it actually looks like a play, instead of having 4 or 5 defenders just pushing at the OL.



Regardless, I just felt the BYU defense against OSU was physical but not very aggressive. I would have expected, as BYU increased its lead, for the defense to get more aggressive, not less. I didn't see that Saturday.
T
trueblue72
The one of the issues with Dlineman in the 3-4 and blitzing, especially our 3-4, is our dlineman generally two gap, instead of the end flying upfield and the tackle taking up the Guard and center opening the b gap or the ending crashing down and taking the tackle with him opening up the c gap for the backer as we saw in years past with Jorgensen and Denney, these guys play more line control, they do occupy more blockers but the blitzing gaps in general are smaller and the angles from which they can hide the blitz are different. Blitzing is about timing and angles, which a lot of that is generated from how the dline comes of the ball, the style they play and the angles they take. We did blitz much more than people think, they just did a helluva a good job picking it up. I'd expect to see more blitzes coming from Putnams side, he's more of threat to a qb and well command more attention allowing the backers that split second longer that they need to get through the line.
C
Cougarbib
Dwight wrote:
Any chance BYU is saving defensive or offensive plays to spring on TCU? or have these two coaches played each other so many times that there is no surprise? I think it would be funny if Van Noy started tying his shoes before each play. By the way, I saw a very cool play where a QB handed off to the running back who in turn ran lateraly and then passed the ball back to the QB who was wide open and ran it in for a TD. It made me wonder if we have a RB that could pull that off, because I think Riley would catch it and run like a mad man.


You talking about Steve Young - Holiday Bowl win over Missouri? I hope TCU isn't on here scouting us. You can bet that one is coming at some point. I am thinking JJ could do it - wild guess.
C
Cougarbib
Watch Utah game on BYU TV website. Last Utah Drive of 1st half and entire 2nd half. Nealry every time BYU sent extra pass rusher, still couldn ot apply pressure and Utah ripped a huge run into the vacated space or burned us with a pass - usually for a TD. I think the Blitz died Vs Utah.



BTW that game is an eye opener if you listen to the meltdown and listen to the announcers and watch the replays. A very painful eye opener.



By the time Riley went in with the scrubs - he sparked a little bit, but was not effective and eventually was stripped and that fumble went for a TD with Riley looking like a ping-pong ball in pursuit.
Page 1 of 2
This is an archived topic from the original CougarCorner forum. New replies are not accepted.