Archived Topic

Alisa: Shadows of Harvey Unga

by pjmuli · 10/17/2011

Advertisement
P
pjmuli
Alisa kind of reminds me of a less powerful version of Harvey Unga.



Anyone else feel the same way? Kind of the way he shifts direction with decent speed and gets the defense at good angles?



Not as powerful...but it is a very positive comparison.
C
Cougarfan87
pjmuli wrote:
Alisa kind of reminds me of a less powerful version of Harvey Unga.



Anyone else feel the same way? Kind of the way he shifts direction with decent speed and gets the defense at good angles?



Not as powerful...but it is a very positive comparison.




Yes, his running is very much like Unga's. I noticed in Unga's freshman year that he was rarely tackled for a loss, even when it looked like there was no where to go, because he was always falling forward and pushing the pile. Alisa is very similar in that regard. He is almost an automatic 4 yards against the teams we have been playing--and because of his very physical running style he wears out defenses.



The comparison is not totally complete yet because I have not seen him catch the ball as often as Unga did yet. From what I have seen is capable of doing well catching it out of the backfield.



I'm glad we made the change in our primary runner. DiLuigi was a great choice for that option play for a touchdown, but Alisa is the better everydown runner.
C
Cougarfan87
As a follow up, both would be good in a pro set. Alisa could take draws up the middle and DiLuigi could release for passes in the flat or wheel routes.
C
Cougarpoke
Alisa has been a stud runner between the tackles. I have been expecting more of DeLuigi. I don't know if it has been his number hasn't been called or what, but I was expecting more screen passes or passes into the flat to him. Alisa needs to be the primary runner, but DeLuigi needs to get the ball in space so he can make a play. He isn't that great between the tackles, dances a bit too much.
P
pikoi
As a bonus, Alisa has the speed to pull of some long runs this year.
Advertisement
V
vancouvercougar
pikoi wrote:
As a bonus, Alisa has the speed to pull of some long runs this year.


He showed his speed for a long run vs OSU except for a phantom holding call
Y
Y 4 Ever
I have been very impressed with Alisa. He has done the last 2 games what I was expecting Juice to be doing all year. He should be the feature back for the rest of the year. But I still like the other guys getting several carries each too.
C
CougarClaw
vancouvercougar wrote:
As a bonus, Alisa has the speed to pull of some long runs this year.


He showed his speed for a long run vs OSU except for a phantom holding call


agreed. phantoms around the world were insulted by that call.
C
Cougarbib
Cougarfan87 wrote:
Alisa kind of reminds me of a less powerful version of Harvey Unga.



Anyone else feel the same way? Kind of the way he shifts direction with decent speed and gets the defense at good angles?



Not as powerful...but it is a very positive comparison.




Yes, his running is very much like Unga's. I noticed in Unga's freshman year that he was rarely tackled for a loss, even when it looked like there was no where to go, because he was always falling forward and pushing the pile. Alisa is very similar in that regard. He is almost an automatic 4 yards against the teams we have been playing--and because of his very physical running style he wears out defenses.



The comparison is not totally complete yet because I have not seen him catch the ball as often as Unga did yet. From what I have seen is capable of doing well catching it out of the backfield.



I'm glad we made the change in our primary runner. DiLuigi was a great choice for that option play for a touchdown, but Alisa is the better everydown runner.




DiLuigi wasn't a bad choice for that 30 or 40 yard sprint to the 10 and did you see him secure the ball even though it slowed him up at the end to secure it. He had nearly the same yards as Alisa on far fewer carries. No fumble for JJ this week. Alisa fumbled. They all contribute. IDK if I like Bronco spelling out who will be doing what and not be doing what - element of surprise gone. But maybe he will still surprise them with an occasional DiLuigi up the gut.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
S
Schmoe
I'll be honest, I couldn't see it. I saw that he was a good runner and was happy with his performance, but I didn't see the Unga-ness. Then I watched the OSU highlights and I caught myself thinking "man, Unga cut well there...oh wait." I think Alisa has lots of potential and could be scary good by the end of the season.
Advertisement
D
Dcr36
Based on his success, I am 95% certain that Michael Alisa comes from the "LT Style Electric Glide" school of running backs.



http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YkmyNzJQN0I
This is an archived topic from the original CougarCorner forum. New replies are not accepted.