Archived Topic

Nelson = Tebow

by NorCal · 10/17/2011

Advertisement
N
NorCal
The more I watch Riley Nelson, the more he reminds me of Tim Tebow. He has that ability to extend plays, runs well, and just fires up everyone around him. It has taken several games.....but I am officially on the Nelson Bandwagon. The brutha just wins!
C
Cougs_Rule
I'm buying, mostly! Problem is Tebow ran about, what, 230? RN goes a rough and tumble 185? But hey same size heart, maybe larger.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
S
superchargedcougar
One thing better about Nelson is that Tebow threw off his back foot a whole lot and still does in the NFL. He is definitely a better runner than Nelson though
J
jonnylingo
So since we hvae beat utah state, san jose state, and now a 1-5 oregon state team i have heard riley be compared to steve young and now tim tebow.



and the heaps haters thought riley haters were bad :)
M
Mars
jonnylingo wrote:
So since we hvae beat utah state, san jose state, and now a 1-5 oregon state team i have heard riley be compared to steve young and now tim tebow.

That's it? Think better, older, and with longer hair. You know, like New Testament... :P
Advertisement
D
Dcr36
superchargedcougar wrote:
One thing better about Nelson is that Tebow threw off his back foot a whole lot and still does in the NFL. He is definitely a better runner than Nelson though


Yeah, there are a number of mobile QBs that I'd compare Riley Nelson to before Tim Tebow.



I actually thought this thread was going to be about the similarities between the Riley Nelson controversy these last few weeks and the Tebow controversy that the Denver Broncos are facing. In both cases:



-you had an incumbent QB who by all metrics won the position prior to the season.



-the eventual starter not only struggled against the incumbent, but was in danger of falling to the 3rd spot on the depth chart.



-the incumbent QB had, for period, put up decent numbers as the starter.



-the pundits and talking heads that followed both teams repeatedly declared that the eventual starter was "incapable" at playing football at that level, i.e. NFL or D-1 football.



-Eventually, the play of the original starter fell to a level where you almost HAD to try the backup just to see if he could do anything better.



-Both earned the job based on 4th-quarter heroics.



Which is odd, because I've been a Riley fan all the way but thought all those Denver fans chanting "Te-bow!" were idiots.



I do think the two are similar to each other in the sense that they're both gamers. I don't think Tebow & Nelson do as well in practice because they seem to thrive on the moment. I hope Nelson keeps it up.
T
trueblue72
I'm officially on the Nelson bandwagon, but I think all these Steve Young, Tim Tebow comparisons are getting to be a little bit overused, granted the kid has great leadership (the whole team seems to be behind him) and he's playing well, but you guys are comparing him to first round draft picks. Young had a $40 million (i think) contract in the USFL in the early 80's and although Denver picked him to high, you have a first round QB from the '10 draft you are comparing him to. Yes I retract all of my he throws worse than Kevin Feterik comments, but I think we're still putting him a little too high. I hope I am wrong though, maybe he is that good!
F
frdbtr
I think if we are going to compare him to anyone it needs to be Doman. Doman was not a practice player either but showed up on gameday. Doman didn't have the strongest arm or the best accuracy but he was gritty and had a lot of poise. Both were thought to not have the ability to be a starter at this level by thier coaches (Bronco admitted as much in interviews this year) but turned out to play well when put in games. I just hope that Riley can lead us as well as Doman did in 2001, that was a fun year for offense. Plus we have Bronco as our Dcoordinator now so I won't have to say like I did back then "well, we just scored, the bad news is the defense gets to play now". 8)
C
CougarClaw
doesn't Tebow also have like 4 inches and 50 lbs on Nelson? Guy looks like a linebacker
J
jonnylingo
frdbtr wrote:
I think if we are going to compare him to anyone it needs to be Doman. Doman was not a practice player either but showed up on gameday. Doman didn't have the strongest arm or the best accuracy but he was gritty and had a lot of poise. Both were thought to not have the ability to be a starter at this level by thier coaches (Bronco admitted as much in interviews this year) but turned out to play well when put in games. I just hope that Riley can lead us as well as Doman did in 2001, that was a fun year for offense. Plus we have Bronco as our Dcoordinator now so I won't have to say like I did back then "well, we just scored, the bad news is the defense gets to play now". 8)


I don't even think that comparison is fair at this point. doman was drafted into the nfl. nelson has a long way to go before that conversation even starts.
Advertisement
F
frdbtr
jonnylingo wrote:
I think if we are going to compare him to anyone it needs to be Doman. Doman was not a practice player either but showed up on gameday. Doman didn't have the strongest arm or the best accuracy but he was gritty and had a lot of poise. Both were thought to not have the ability to be a starter at this level by thier coaches (Bronco admitted as much in interviews this year) but turned out to play well when put in games. I just hope that Riley can lead us as well as Doman did in 2001, that was a fun year for offense. Plus we have Bronco as our Dcoordinator now so I won't have to say like I did back then "well, we just scored, the bad news is the defense gets to play now". 8)


I don't even think that comparison is fair at this point. doman was drafted into the nfl. nelson has a long way to go before that conversation even starts.


Doman was drafted into the NFL after a terriffic sr season. Doman was also bigger then riley so even if Riley plays really well next year, he may still not get drafted simply because of his size. That still doesn't make it a bad comparison though. If 2 guys play with a similar style and skillset in college, just because one doesn't end up in the NFL doesn't mean that they can't be compared to each other as college players.
S
snoscythe
Saying someone reminds you of a great or comparing them to a great is not the same as saying they are as good or better than said great.



I don't think anyone is saying Nelson is as good as Young. What they are saying is that Nelson's style of play, left-handedness, grit, hair, or some other characteristic reminds them of Young.



You compare the current guys to the greats not because you think they are at that level (do people really think Alisa is as good as Unga was?), but because everyone knows and remembers the greats, so the comparison is one that will translate better than comparing them to some never-was who no one remembers.
J
jonnylingo
snoscythe wrote:
Saying someone reminds you of a great or comparing them to a great is not the same as saying they are as good or better than said great.



I don't think anyone is saying Nelson is as good as Young. What they are saying is that Nelson's style of play, left-handedness, grit, hair, or some other characteristic reminds them of Young.



You compare the current guys to the greats not because you think they are at that level (do people really think Alisa is as good as Unga was?), but because everyone knows and remembers the greats, so the comparison is one that will translate better than comparing them to some never-was who no one remembers.


lol
B
BroncoBot
snoscythe wrote:
Saying someone reminds you of a great or comparing them to a great is not the same as saying they are as good or better than said great.



I don't think anyone is saying Nelson is as good as Young. What they are saying is that Nelson's style of play, left-handedness, grit, hair, or some other characteristic reminds them of Young.



You compare the current guys to the greats not because you think they are at that level (do people really think Alisa is as good as Unga was?), but because everyone knows and remembers the greats, so the comparison is one that will translate better than comparing them to some never-was who no one remembers.

Well put.
W
Wickchad
frdbtr wrote:
frdbtr wrote:
I think if we are going to compare him to anyone it needs to be Doman. Doman was not a practice player either but showed up on gameday. Doman didn't have the strongest arm or the best accuracy but he was gritty and had a lot of poise. Both were thought to not have the ability to be a starter at this level by thier coaches (Bronco admitted as much in interviews this year) but turned out to play well when put in games. I just hope that Riley can lead us as well as Doman did in 2001, that was a fun year for offense. Plus we have Bronco as our Dcoordinator now so I won't have to say like I did back then "well, we just scored, the bad news is the defense gets to play now". 8)


I don't even think that comparison is fair at this point. doman was drafted into the nfl. nelson has a long way to go before that conversation even starts.


Doman was drafted into the NFL after a terriffic sr season. Doman was also bigger then riley so even if Riley plays really well next year, he may still not get drafted simply because of his size. That still doesn't make it a bad comparison though. If 2 guys play with a similar style and skillset in college, just because one doesn't end up in the NFL doesn't mean that they can't be compared to each other as college players.


The Doman and Nelson comparisons are missing one key component: Luke Staley



Doman with Luke Staley > Nelson with any of our running backs



Doman without Staley (or McDonald-Ashford) = Nelson



The last two games of Doman's career without Staley were brutal. Staley made Doman so much more effective. Even the New Mexico game without Staley was pretty bad. The question is can any of our running backs create a similar combo for Nelson by next year?
This is an archived topic from the original CougarCorner forum. New replies are not accepted.