Archived Topic

Thoughts about the OSU fireside

by vancouvercougar · 10/16/2011

Advertisement
V
vancouvercougar
I'm just getting home from the game. Here are some thoughts on the fireside last night.



The stake center was packed. I was there 45 minutes early, and I had to sit 6 rows from the back of the gym. People were standing all around the perimeter of the Gym.



Marcus Matthews gave a great talk--spoke of his mission to Sweden. He spen a winter north of the artic circle and didn't see the sun for over a month. He talked about how the people there crave the light then compared it to the light of Christ and also letting our "light so shine"



Six members of the team sang Abide with me tis Eventide.



Eathyn Manumaneluna--the conductor of the meeting got the name really wrong--, spoke of his experience with prayer. He had an experience as an 11 year old in Alaska when their pickup was stuck in a rising river and the engine stopped. The father and Eathyn's little brother left the truck to get help. The truck was filling with water. Eathyn prayed several times, the truck started, and he drove it out of the river. He encouraged us to pray continually because the Lord is interested in our problems.



Several team members sang "Called to Serve"



Holly Mendenhall spoke of courage. She related that a girl classmate was being teased by boys in the class. Holly questioned the boys and found that the girl plays flag football really well. The girl intercepts passes from the boys, so the boys tease her. The Mendenhall boys said that they thought the girl was great, and they did not tease her. Holly asked them if they defended the girl. They said no. Holly related the following story to her sons: "A young man was walking home from school with a large armload of books. Another boy observed several bullies knock the books out of the hands of his classmate. He went over, picked up the books, and encouraged the young man. Three years later at High School graduation, the young man who had the books knocked out of his hands was the valedictorian. In his speech he related that he planned to commit suicide that day 3 years past, and he came home with all of his books, his mother wouldn't have to clean out the locker when he died--but because a compassionate classmate showed kindness, he did not committ suicide. Holly encouraged us to stick up for others with courage.



Bronco talked about the mission of the savior, quoted the Book of Mormon, and talk of the Saviors endurance of trials. He mentioned that it is important to behave properly and live the gospel, but that we also have to win the games. Two of Bronco's roommates from his OSU days were there. After the meeting I shook Bronco's hand and told him I have been a cougar fan for 35 years, I love it when we win; but the Spirit at the firesides is what endears me to this team. Bronco said "yes the Spirit is good, but we still have to win the games."
C
CAFB_04-12
I really enjoyed the fireside I attended in Austin. It sounded like BYU had a good fan showing at the stadium as well.
C
Cougarbib
If any of you ever have a chance to go to one of these - I have and they are exceptional. Just go. Don't miss it. I am sure there will be one in Hawaii if any of you are coming out. Most likely, it will be at my stake center where Travis Uale's dad is the Stake President.
D
dank80
I served in that same town up by the Arctic Circle that Marcus Matthews spoke about That's awesome, I had no idea he went to Sweden. Luckily I moved before the snow started to fall.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
This is an archived topic from the original CougarCorner forum. New replies are not accepted.