Archived Topic

Can we all agree that Riley can run the BYU offense?

by tripwire · 10/15/2011

Advertisement
T
tripwire
Regardless of what you think about Heaps v Nelson. We have to now acknowledge that both QB's can run this offense when they are playing well. 499 yards says it all I think.

Right?
B
BroncoBot
All I care about is points, something that Riley is good at.
C
CougarClaw
the key word here being "run".
T
tripwire
CougarClaw wrote:
the key word here being "run".

Whatever gains yards and scores points.
B
Brayden Green
against bad teams. Yes he can. We have yet to see if he can run the offense against a good one.



I am impressed with him thus far, but like I said, he hasn't played a winning team yet. So... that remains to be seen, but I don't want to change anything. I just like winning.
Advertisement
T
trueblue72
He doesn't have a big ARM but he generally throws the ball early enough.to compensate. Offense looks good. I give him a big vote of YES!



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
B
BYUBALLIN
iam a big Heaps fan..with that said i cheer for the name on the front not on the back...great game by riley minus the pick 6 he did a great job...nice to see the scoreboard getting light up.
D
Dcr36
Beyond the debate of his abilities and limits - Riley's actually pretty fun to watch.
T
tripwire
BlueIsBetter wrote:
against bad teams. Yes he can. We have yet to see if he can run the offense against a good one.



I am impressed with him thus far, but like I said, he hasn't played a winning team yet. So... that remains to be seen, but I don't want to change anything. I just like winning.

True. You have to grant that the competition has dropped off, but I think you have to keep going with what's working. If Riley struggles put Heaps back in. I am not in either camp. I just want to win and I think we have two pretty talented guys right now.
M
mtnradio
He has played well. He has done what has been asked of him. He has won.



Isn't that enough?
Advertisement
B
Brayden Green
tripwire wrote:
against bad teams. Yes he can. We have yet to see if he can run the offense against a good one.



I am impressed with him thus far, but like I said, he hasn't played a winning team yet. So... that remains to be seen, but I don't want to change anything. I just like winning.

True. You have to grant that the competition has dropped off, but I think you have to keep going with what's working. If Riley struggles put Heaps back in. I am not in either camp. I just want to win and I think we have two pretty talented guys right now.


Absolutely you keep going with him.



You keep going with Alisa until (and IF) a good defense proves you wrong there, too.
T
tripwire
BlueIsBetter wrote:
BlueIsBetter wrote:
against bad teams. Yes he can. We have yet to see if he can run the offense against a good one.



I am impressed with him thus far, but like I said, he hasn't played a winning team yet. So... that remains to be seen, but I don't want to change anything. I just like winning.

True. You have to grant that the competition has dropped off, but I think you have to keep going with what's working. If Riley struggles put Heaps back in. I am not in either camp. I just want to win and I think we have two pretty talented guys right now.


Absolutely you keep going with him.



You keep going with Alisa until (and IF) a good defense proves you wrong there, too.

Totally agree.
D
Dcr36
tripwire wrote:
against bad teams. Yes he can. We have yet to see if he can run the offense against a good one.



I am impressed with him thus far, but like I said, he hasn't played a winning team yet. So... that remains to be seen, but I don't want to change anything. I just like winning.

True. You have to grant that the competition has dropped off, but I think you have to keep going with what's working. If Riley struggles put Heaps back in. I am not in either camp. I just want to win and I think we have two pretty talented guys right now.


Unless Riley struggles mightily against TCU (a real possibility), gets injured (ditto) or does something stupid like throw 7 picks against Idaho (unlikely), I think he's got the job till the year ends. There's just not enough talent left on the remainder of the schedule to force the issue, and two of our three remaining challenges (Hawaii and bowl game) come so late in the season I can't imagine the switch will be made.



But yeah, I hope Heaps is having a productive sit-out and is figuring things out, so that if he's needed, he can produce.
G
Guest
It's pretty clear that right now Nelson is head and shoulders a better QB than Jake Heaps. This all has to do with athleticism and intelligence where Nelson clearly outshines Heaps.



I hope Heaps uses that as motivation to light his competitive fire and comes back as a beast of Epic proportions.
B
Brayden Green
With the way Riley plays, Heaps needs to be ready.



Man, Riley is full throttle. And I admire that. I just can't see him playing every down the rest of this year, the way he plays (and doesn't protect himself).
Advertisement
T
tripwire
hawkwing wrote:
It's pretty clear that right now Nelson is head and shoulders a better QB than Jake Heaps. This all has to do with athleticism and intelligence where Nelson clearly outshines Heaps.



I hope Heaps uses that as motivation to light his competitive fire and comes back as a beast of Epic proportions.

To me Heaps is a good drop back QB with an arm that has the potential to be very accurate. But I agree, he hasn't shown the intelligence or the athleticism that Riley has. I really think he could be very good, just not quite yet.
G
Guest
BlueIsBetter wrote:
With the way Riley plays, Heaps needs to be ready.



Man, Riley is full throttle. And I admire that. I just can't see him playing every down the rest of this year, the way he plays (and doesn't protect himself).

Excellent point. RN plays all out every single play. That can lead to injuries. Hope it doesn't happen, but it would be wise to be ready all the time (and know where your helmet is :lol:)
G
Guest
tripwire wrote:
It's pretty clear that right now Nelson is head and shoulders a better QB than Jake Heaps. This all has to do with athleticism and intelligence where Nelson clearly outshines Heaps.



I hope Heaps uses that as motivation to light his competitive fire and comes back as a beast of Epic proportions.

To me Heaps is a good drop back QB with an arm that has the potential to be very accurate. But I agree, he hasn't shown the intelligence or the athleticism that Riley has. I really think he could be very good, just not quite yet.


Me too.



Heaps will never have the scrambling athleticism that Nelson has, but he doesn't have to. He just needs to do enough to buy himself some more time, which is where he has struggled. Arm strength wise, he'll blow RN away once he finally dials it in.
C
CougarClaw
Heaps after 4 games. 3 TDs. 5 INTs.

Riley after 3 games. 8Tds. 3 INts.



yeah I know the competition was different blah blah blah... just sayin.
D
Dcr36
hawkwing wrote:
With the way Riley plays, Heaps needs to be ready.



Man, Riley is full throttle. And I admire that. I just can't see him playing every down the rest of this year, the way he plays (and doesn't protect himself).

Excellent point. RN plays all out every single play. That can lead to injuries. Hope it doesn't happen, but it would be wise to be ready all the time (and know where your helmet is :lol:)


I do think that Riley could very likely end up injured, but I don't think it's a foregone conclusion. It's not like Michael Vick or Steve Young in the NFL where if he runs too much you know he's gonna get a concussion or two. Lots of spread QBs in college last through the season playing against more athletic Ds than the majority of the ones left on our schedule.
Page 1 of 3
This is an archived topic from the original CougarCorner forum. New replies are not accepted.