Archived Topic

If I Were King of Big 12 + or -

by Cougarbib · 10/14/2011

Advertisement
C
Cougarbib
If I were King, having seen my conference made a laughing stock by PAC two years in a row even if only for a few weeks each year until I save it again, and then by Big 10, and SEC, and even ACC trying to trigger an Armageddon that would leave me out in the cold dust - I would go first - go Super Conference Right Now and lock up the TV revenue for a Decade.



First - Get small kine revenge on PAC - I would hem up their borders so that if they ever again try to go bigger than PAC 12, there is nobody else left anywhere near them worth thinking much about. Grab BSU, BYU, SDSU, Houston, SMU (think about Hawaii, Nevada, AFA, and others like USU, UNLV, New Mexico, SJSU, FSU, but maybe leave those for the PAC future.



Second - Put a dagger right through the heart of the Big East - take two of their programs, as rumored, right now. Hope the ACC gets the message and they grab the other two as rumored. Hope those moves force the SEC to take MO and move on or grab an ACC team - then Big 12 or ACC would then grab another Big Easy Team. Finish off the BIg Easy as we know it.



Third - assume the Big Easy or some coalition of Indies, Big Easy, Conf USA, MAC, MWC, Sunbelt, and WAC would result in an Everybody Else That Matters Conference with a playoff and possible AQ inclusion. Hope ND gets the jitters and joins Big or ACC or Every Body Else, or Big 10.



Now you still have 5 or 6 AQ Conferences but they include an extra 10 or so teams - and that quiets down the BCS inclusion whining for another round.



That is what I would do - I would go 16 or more. I would lock it down for a decade or more.



Texas

Texas Tech

Oklahoma

Oklahoma State

TCU

Baylor

Missouri (if they stay)

Iowa State

Kansas

Kansas State



= 10 Plus



BYU

BSU

Houston

SMU

SDSU

BIg Easy 1

Big Easy 2

Nevada and / or Hawaii depending on what MO does.



= 18



Something like that. 18 teams. 8 conference games in each division. 4 OOC games (no crossovers unless teams choose to play each other as non-conf), Conf Championship game.



This will prevent Armagedon for a long time. It may even force some other BCS Conferences to add a few more "have nots" resulting in fewer people left out. It would be the right thing to do.





Hopefully ACC follows suit and goes to 18 and locks in their guys. SEC stays at 14. Big 12, and Pac 12 hold at 12. Big Easy / everyone else scrambles to slap something together with 24-32 teams in quadrants with a playoff type championship that gets a BCS birth.



That might actually be reasonably fair and their would still only be 6 auto BCS births.



If I were KIng.
S
scott715
I like locking down PAC12 but I would not add dogs to do it. Let the PAC take dogs. I would steal a team from them like Utah or AZ. Yes on going to 16. Like 8 conference games. Get ND scared and get them in. Either join and keep your own network or lose your chance and join another conference who will not let you keep it.
C
Cougarbib
scott715 wrote:
I like locking down PAC12 but I would not add dogs to do it. Let the PAC take dogs. I would steal a team from them like Utah or AZ. Yes on going to 16. Like 8 conference games. Get ND scared and get them in. Either join and keep your own network or lose your chance and join another conference who will not let you keep it.


Although I would take Utah or Az or ASU in a heartbeat, I don't think any team will leave the security of SEC, Big 10, or PAC. Their futures are solid. The rest all have a worry or two or three. ACC and Big 12 need to protect themselves and lock their teams down. The rest need to scramble and put something desperate but bold together.



Every conference needs a few dogs or they will beat up on each other until all look weak. Even SEC, Big 10, and PAC 12 have dogs. Notice I left all of the dredges like NMSU for PAC and even some mediocre ones like Fresno State. PAC probably won't take any of them which is the point.



U have to look ahead. As Utah, TCU, and maybe BSU go BCS, the buster void will be filled by a few teams like SMU, Houston, SDSU, and others that step up. A new WAC team will emerge to fill void already left in WAC - Maybe USU - maybe getting snubbed by MWC was a blessing. USU is going to rise up.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
S
SpiffCoug
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EPP6L1_ooaQ
M
Mingjai
If I were king of the Big 12, I'd forget about the Pac 12 or western schools in general. West coast fans aren't as die hard as other regions and the Rockies don't have the population.



I'd try to go toe-to-toe with the SEC by trying to pick off a few of their potential ACC targets and locking those schools down for the next 5-7 years. I've already advocated Virginia Tech--to them I'd add Georgia Tech and then Florida State and Clemson or Miami. That would create a 14-team conference that looks like this:



Division 1

Baylor

Iowa State

Oklahoma

Oklahoma State

Texas

Texas Tech

TCU



Division 2

Florida State

Georgia Tech

Kansas

Kansas State

Miami (or Clemson)

Missouri (replaced by West Virginia should the Tigers leave)

Virginia Tech



A conference like this would look really good in football and basketball. If the conference only goes to 12, then I'd go after V-Tech and Ga Tech first with WVU as Mizzou's potential replacement.



Non sequitur alert: The SEC is real creative with their nicknames. The have a 12 team conference with 2 Tigers and 2 Bulldogs. If they add Mizzou, that gives them 3 Tigers. Maybe they could add La Tech to get to 3 Bulldogs.
Advertisement
C
Cougarbib
SpiffCoug wrote:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EPP6L1_ooaQ




Classic - could also be used as a training video to help QBs develop courage. Classic.
C
Cougarbib
Mingjai wrote:
If I were king of the Big 12, I'd forget about the Pac 12 or western schools in general. West coast fans aren't as die hard as other regions and the Rockies don't have the population.



I'd try to go toe-to-toe with the SEC by trying to pick off a few of their potential ACC targets and locking those schools down for the next 5-7 years. I've already advocated Virginia Tech--to them I'd add Georgia Tech and then Florida State and Clemson or Miami. That would create a 14-team conference that looks like this:



Division 1

Baylor

Iowa State

Oklahoma

Oklahoma State

Texas

Texas Tech

TCU



Division 2

Florida State

Georgia Tech

Kansas

Kansas State

Miami (or Clemson)

Missouri (replaced by West Virginia should the Tigers leave)

Virginia Tech



A conference like this would look really good in football and basketball. If the conference only goes to 12, then I'd go after V-Tech and Ga Tech first with WVU as Mizzou's potential replacement.



Non sequitur alert: The SEC is real creative with their nicknames. The have a 12 team conference with 2 Tigers and 2 Bulldogs. If they add Mizzou, that gives them 3 Tigers. Maybe they could add La Tech to get to 3 Bulldogs.




That would go toe to toe with SEC. Glad you didn't include BYU. We could not compete in it. Like the SEC, they would beat each other up and need to immediately revert to scheduling schools with at least two directions in their name at home for any OOC games - Southeast Louisiana, Northeast Texas, Southeast Lubbock community college, etc. Just like the SEC does.



But seriously - I would be shocked if an ACC team jumped for the Big 12 but that is why I have suggested the ACC lock their teams down the same way the Big 12 is doing is to ensure that they do not lose them. If the Big 12 could somehow finish off the ACC that would be even better than finishing off the Big East. Bottom line is that if it ever goes down to four - we know who three will be. Big 12, ACC, and Big Easy will be in a dog fight for the 4th slot. My suggestion would likely keep it at 5 or 6 for at least a decade and then college football won't be further ruined for at least a decade.
M
Mingjai
Cougarbib2 wrote:
But seriously - I would be shocked if an ACC team jumped for the Big 12 but that is why I have suggested the ACC lock their teams down the same way the Big 12 is doing is to ensure that they do not lose them.


I would be a little surprised, though the newly-revitalized Big 12 might have more pull than we think. For the past few years, they have generally been the second-best football conference behind the SEC, while the ACC has struggled.



The best way for the Big 12 to lure teams is to focus on teams that feel snubbed by the SEC and pitching them that the new Big 12 is a much better football location than the ACC. So if Mizzou gets in the SEC as 14th team instead of V-Tech (who was mentioned as a potential 14th team), then that's one disgruntled team looking to upgrade its football situation. The SEC has also implied that they are looking for teams outside their current footprint, indicating that Georgia Tech, Florida State, Miami, and Clemson won't be considered under the current circumstances. That's 4 more teams that could be lured by the attractive Big 12 football situation.



If the Big 12 can convince these ACC teams that they have little chance of getting one of the 2-3 remaining SEC slots and that the Big 12 is better place to be for football than the ACC, I can see a few ACC teams considering the Big 12. Why target the Big East when you could target the ACC?



I just don't get the feeling that the Big 12 is thinking that big, which the really should be doing if the want to make a big splash nationally like the Pac 12 nearly did last year.
This is an archived topic from the original CougarCorner forum. New replies are not accepted.