Archived Topic

What we need to do to beat OSU

by byucougar1 · 10/13/2011

Advertisement
B
byucougar1
OSU game up 378 passing yards to AZ and their secondary is very young and inexperienced. Seems to me that we should air it out and use a variety of WR options to spread the wealth around. We cannot have drops like some of the easy ones that Matthews, Jacobson, Hoffman and Mendenhall. We need to get them involved in the edge. Riley also needs to stop throwing forced or errant throws like the lame duck as he was getting sacked and the near interception to LB Tuipalotu.



Our LB crew and safeties will need to tighten up as SJSU picked is apart over the middle and on short passes with the TE and H-back.



Finally, our KO return coverage must improve as we gave up huge yardage to their return man Erwin who was at 30+ Yards/ return.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
B
Brayden Green
Execute.





:lol:
D
Dcr36
BlueIsBetter wrote:
Execute.





:lol:


Live right. Preferably on AND off field.



Agree with OP regarding the pass game.
C
Cougarbib
BlueIsBetter wrote:
Execute.





:lol:


This.
C
Cougarbib
byucougar1 wrote:
OSU game up 378 passing yards to AZ and their secondary is very young and inexperienced. Seems to me that we should air it out and use a variety of WR options to spread the wealth around. We cannot have drops like some of the easy ones that Matthews, Jacobson, Hoffman and Mendenhall. We need to get them involved in the edge. Riley also needs to stop throwing forced or errant throws like the lame duck as he was getting sacked and the near interception to LB Tuipalotu.



Our LB crew and safeties will need to tighten up as SJSU picked is apart over the middle and on short passes with the TE and H-back.



Finally, our KO return coverage must improve as we gave up huge yardage to their return man Erwin who was at 30+ Yards/ return.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">


Bronco only had one big issue with RIley and that was when RIley forced the pass to Jacobsen in the endzone instead of running the play as called. RIley was always trying to make a play. It is a fine line. He crossed the line at least that once and maybe two times. BUt you have to try to make plays to score TDs. That is why a good QB is expected to get more TDs than INts and a great one whould get twice as many.



The near pick 6 was thrown where it was supposed to be thrown, but the receiver tripped over his own player and fell down - thus not getting to the spot. It was thrown to a spot.



Back to Arizona and all of their passing yards. I should not give all of my tips away - but iirc, they held the Arizona QB below his average PER forcing some turnovers. In other words - Arizona has a great passing QB, and his performance Vs Oregon was a little off his typical effort even having faced some very good teams this year.



RIley will need to throw but be aware of speed on defenders to avoid picks. BYU will need to run reasonably effectively. RIley will be part of that running attack. He and Alisa need to hold onto the ball. BTW - Apo had a drop or two as well.
Advertisement
S
SpiffCoug
If we don't turn the ball over we win.
M
mizzoucoug
Quick screens and slants to Apo and Hoffman. We need to get them the ball in space.
J
jonnylingo
SpiffCoug wrote:
If we don't turn the ball over we win.


So your saying we are going to lose. That has been our achilles heel all year long.
J
jonnylingo
I hope we finally destroy a team. Giving Riley a shot and having been getting majority of reps for two weeks now, hopefully he and the offense have a coming out party.
G
Guest
I am mostly concerned about our pass defence. Bronco is about as aggressive as a 12 year old girl when it comes to defending the pass. If we keep giving qbs all day to throw we'll have a lot of problems.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
Advertisement
S
snoscythe
RUTS in the second half.
A
ABYUFAN
I ws thinking that we need 200 to 250 yards rushing and we win. I'd like to see a repeat of San Jose State inthat I'd like a short game withthe clock running and us jumping up by a couple of scores early and running it down their throat.
F
frdbtr
hawkwing wrote:
I am mostly concerned about our pass defence. Bronco is about as aggressive as a 12 year old girl when it comes to defending the pass. If we keep giving qbs all day to throw we'll have a lot of problems.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">


Bronco decides how aggressive to be based on his feel as to wether the team he is playing has the ability to move the ball at will on his defense. He stated that he didn't believe that SJSU had the ability to beat BYU by kicking field goals and called his defense accordingly. In other words, he basicly called off the dogs and just made sure they kept everything in front of them. Most of the complaining I have been reading on this board about SJSU was due to coaching philosophy.
B
byufan4ever
frdbtr wrote:
I am mostly concerned about our pass defence. Bronco is about as aggressive as a 12 year old girl when it comes to defending the pass. If we keep giving qbs all day to throw we'll have a lot of problems.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">


Bronco decides how aggressive to be based on his feel as to wether the team he is playing has the ability to move the ball at will on his defense. He stated that he didn't believe that SJSU had the ability to beat BYU by kicking field goals and called his defense accordingly. In other words, he basicly called off the dogs and just made sure they kept everything in front of them. Most of the complaining I have been reading on this board about SJSU was due to coaching philosophy.


Which is why most of the supposed DB problems is really just a relection of our coaches' defensive philosophy. The DBs haven't played perfect, but I blame more the system/philosphy than I do the players. As I noted on another thread, even Rich had a tendancy to bite on play fakes because he (as well as Bronco) focused so much on stopping the run.
G
Guest
byufan4ever wrote:
hawkwing wrote:
I am mostly concerned about our pass defence. Bronco is about as aggressive as a 12 year old girl when it comes to defending the pass. If we keep giving qbs all day to throw we'll have a lot of problems.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">


Bronco decides how aggressive to be based on his feel as to wether the team he is playing has the ability to move the ball at will on his defense. He stated that he didn't believe that SJSU had the ability to beat BYU by kicking field goals and called his defense accordingly. In other words, he basicly called off the dogs and just made sure they kept everything in front of them. Most of the complaining I have been reading on this board about SJSU was due to coaching philosophy.


Which is why most of the supposed DB problems is really just a relection of our coaches' defensive philosophy. The DBs haven't played perfect, but I blame more the system/philosphy than I do the players. As I noted on another thread, even Rich had a tendancy to bite on play fakes because he (as well as Bronco) focused so much on stopping the run.


Agreed. Our biggest problem right now is defensive philosophy. Apparently Bronco hasn't believed any team we've played so far can move the ball on us, because we've never gone after the QB aggressively.



In reality, I think Bronco has lost a little/lot of his defensive aggressiveness and really needs to get it back. When opposing QBs are rushed they make bad throws, when they have all day to throw it, it's really easy to find an open guy in the soft zone we play.
Advertisement
S
SpiffCoug
I think we'll employ a similar strategy against OSU. They've been inconsistent on offense. Make them make plays consistently all game. Don't give up the big play to give them confidence and momentum. I think we'll see us play to keep everything in front of us and see they can matriculate the ball down the field often enough to beat us.
F
frdbtr
hawkwing wrote:
frdbtr wrote:
I am mostly concerned about our pass defence. Bronco is about as aggressive as a 12 year old girl when it comes to defending the pass. If we keep giving qbs all day to throw we'll have a lot of problems.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">


Bronco decides how aggressive to be based on his feel as to wether the team he is playing has the ability to move the ball at will on his defense. He stated that he didn't believe that SJSU had the ability to beat BYU by kicking field goals and called his defense accordingly. In other words, he basicly called off the dogs and just made sure they kept everything in front of them. Most of the complaining I have been reading on this board about SJSU was due to coaching philosophy.




Which is why most of the supposed DB problems is really just a relection of our coaches' defensive philosophy. The DBs haven't played perfect, but I blame more the system/philosphy than I do the players. As I noted on another thread, even Rich had a tendancy to bite on play fakes because he (as well as Bronco) focused so much on stopping the run.


Agreed. Our biggest problem right now is defensive philosophy. Apparently Bronco hasn't believed any team we've played so far can move the ball on us, because we've never gone after the QB aggressively.



In reality, I think Bronco has lost a little/lot of his defensive aggressiveness and really needs to get it back. When opposing QBs are rushed they make bad throws, when they have all day to throw it, it's really easy to find an open guy in the soft zone we play.


In a sense you are exactly right. I haven't seen more then 4 rushers in any game since the Texas game. It could also be because teams are max protecting against our blitz too. I haven't paid attention to how many blockers there are. I do pay attention to the number of rushers though and I don't remember more then 4 going after the QB at least in the last game and maybe not since the Utah game. I do remember blitzes in the Texas game before they subbed out thier QB though.
M
Magnus Ver Magnusson
BlueIsBetter wrote:
Execute.





:lol:


Be assignment sound....
C
Cougarfan87
Magnus Ver Magnusson wrote:
Execute.





:lol:


Be assignment sound....


Score more points than they do. :D
M
mormonrasta
SpiffCoug wrote:
If we don't turn the ball over we win.


This is correct. OSU is awful; we can only beat ourselves.
Page 1 of 3
This is an archived topic from the original CougarCorner forum. New replies are not accepted.