Archived Topic

Hawaii game connections

by hawkwing · 10/12/2011

Advertisement
G
Guest
I'm considering taking a mini-vacation around the Hawaii game, but I would need a few hook ups. I'm hoping people on here may have some that would be willing to share.



Anyone have any connections on air travel?

Hotel/Resorts?

Food, etc.?
S
snoscythe
Pshhh. What have you ever done for us?????
B
birdie702
Cougarbib2 might be your best bet. He lives in HI. I only have connection to PCC - VIP treatment for half the price.
C
Cougarbib
hawkwing wrote:
I'm considering taking a mini-vacation around the Hawaii game, but I would need a few hook ups. I'm hoping people on here may have some that would be willing to share.



Anyone have any connections on air travel?

Hotel/Resorts?

Food, etc.?

Try Hawaiian Airlines website. It is really easy to toggle between departure and return dates to find best fares. If you are flexible on dates - try Name Your Own Price on Priceline.com.



I can probably get you a guest rate through my employers contract with the Pagoda Hotel - not fancy at all but safe and clean or Ala Moana - nice and near the Mall or Hawaii Prince - very nice.



Low end probably under 100 - high end maybe over 150. Let me know and I will check.



Turtle Bay will have BYU fan group. Nice resort. Expensive. Up by North Shore famous beaches, Kahuku, La'ie.



Call me re restaurants and how I might help. PM me if you don't have my number.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
S
snoscythe
Cougarbib2 wrote:



Call me re restaurants and how I might help.


I thought you preferred "bibster"?





ZING! :crazy: :whistle: :blush: :sulk:
Advertisement
C
Cougarbib
Let me elaborate on air.



Delta and others have direct flights to SLC. Sites like Priceline may save you money but route you through 1 or more stops - sometimes even illogical like SLC to Phoenix to SFO to HNL. Orbits, travelocity, just google cheap flights and try a few - I always try two or three and page through a million options to get the best deal but reasonable connections.



Back to Hawaiian Air. They connect to LAX, Vegas, SFO, Portland, etc. And the prices vary significantly - but if you shop for the best deal to and from one of those cities and your best way to get to those cities - that often works out for me. Sometimes LAS Vegas might be 100 less than LAX - sometimes the opposite. Newer routes like Portland or San Jose iirc, can be cheaper.



And if you want to stop somewhere else - Priceline, Orbitz, Travelocity, etc. Multi-destination options can find great deals.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
C
Cougarbib
snoscythe wrote:



Call me re restaurants and how I might help.


I thought you preferred "bibster"?





ZING! :crazy: :whistle: :blush: :sulk:

I should start a poll for my Nickname



The Bibster

re restaurants

Pizza

Potential

G



Do you think I should capitalize re restaurants?



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
1
1967cougar
snoscythe wrote:
Pshhh. What have you ever done for us?????


Amen, Sno. I mean, create a website where we can all hang out, spend countless hours developing and nurturing it, and then marring the awesome LadyHawk - just to rub it in our face that she's a sports fan! Heck, any schmoe (pun intended) can do that!
C
Cougarbib
Pagoda changed ownership - gotta find out if I can still get a discount



Hawaii Prince and Ala Moana are Definites. Hawaii Prince will run under $170 plus tax and Ala Moana under $110 plus tax and upwards depending on room. Pagoda might still be possible.



Hawaii Prince and Ala Moana are both near the AlaMoana Shopping Center and my office - thus the discount. So is Pagoda. This is a bit closer to the Stadium but not in the heart of Waikiki if you want Waikiki - you could walk to the heart in 20 minutes or take a cab or shuttle from the mall. Shuttle is cheap or free depending on what you take. There is also bus service at the mall.



I am asking around re shuttles to the game, etc. I could drive a couple of people or a bunch if I don't sell my junky old expedition before then. I asked. $14 round trip.



Anyone interested in coming and hooking up, etc. - let me know here - and pm contact info to me and I will be happy to let you know how to get these discounts.



If you want to stay elsewhere, tell them you are coming to visit a friend, he suggested their hotel and wondered if since he is local, thought they might grant you the Kama'aina rates - locals. They might. Kawmah Inah - long I. If they ask who your friend is - tell them The Bibster or PM me and I will help you with my name and company name.



UH fans used to hate BYU. Then they hated BSU. Now - not sure who they hate this year - but mentioning BYU probably doesn't help.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
J
jvquarterback
How long are you going for and how many people are going?



Another (more fun) alternative to flying directly to HNL, especially if you are staying more than a couple days, is to fly into Kona, Maui, etc then hop over to HNL. Last year we flew into Kona from PHX and back from HNL and the tickets only cost $380RT all in. The flight from KOA to HNL was only $60.



Re: a place to stay. Check out vrbo.com (vacation rental by owner), find a bunch of places that you think you would like then email all of them offers for half of their asking price. We got a two bedroom condo on the water in Kona for $700 for the week and a three bedroom home in Laie for $1300 with its own private beach the two weeks after Thanksgiving last year.



Hope this helps.



BTW best I'm seeing now is $550 from SLC midweek.
Advertisement
G
Guest
Yeah, I haven't been able to find air fare for less than $550 - $650 per person. There would be two of us. I was really hoping to find cheaper. Not sure I'll be able to swing it.
J
jvquarterback
I see $385 from San Diego to HNL or $400 from Las Vegas to HNL or San Jose to Kona.



The price will fluctuate a lot over the next month so just keep looking. The airlines usually change their prices Monday night to Tuesday afternoon so may sure you recheck prices every Tuesday when the airlines change their prices.



PS. If I can get off work early enough to catch a flight to HNL Mrs JVQB and I will take you out to dinner after the game.
J
jonnylingo
birdie702 wrote:
Cougarbib2 might be your best bet. He lives in HI. I only have connection to PCC - VIP treatment for half the price.


Wish I would have known that last week when I was there :)



flights out of salt lake always seem to be more expensive for some reason.
I
imuakahuku
Cougarbib2 wrote:
I'm considering taking a mini-vacation around the Hawaii game, but I would need a few hook ups. I'm hoping people on here may have some that would be willing to share.



Anyone have any connections on air travel?

Hotel/Resorts?

Food, etc.?

Try Hawaiian Airlines website. It is really easy to toggle between departure and return dates to find best fares. If you are flexible on dates - try Name Your Own Price on Priceline.com.



I can probably get you a guest rate through my employers contract with the Pagoda Hotel - not fancy at all but safe and clean or Ala Moana - nice and near the Mall or Hawaii Prince - very nice.



Low end probably under 100 - high end maybe over 150. Let me know and I will check.



Turtle Bay will have BYU fan group. Nice resort. Expensive. Up by North Shore famous beaches, Kahuku, La'ie.



Call me re restaurants and how I might help. PM me if you don't have my number.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">


Check the condo's at Turtle Bay if you want to stay out on the North Shore (Kahuku). They are about $100 a night (with the seventh free). It's where we stay when we are back visiting family. The resort is pretty expensive but the condo's are affordable. But make sure it has AC. Some of them don't (they are privately owned).
I
imuakahuku
jonnylingo wrote:
Cougarbib2 might be your best bet. He lives in HI. I only have connection to PCC - VIP treatment for half the price.


Wish I would have known that last week when I was there :)



flights out of salt lake always seem to be more expensive for some reason.




Las Vegas, LA, and Seattle are usually the cheapest.
Advertisement
C
Cougarbib
jonnylingo wrote:
Cougarbib2 might be your best bet. He lives in HI. I only have connection to PCC - VIP treatment for half the price.


Wish I would have known that last week when I was there :)



flights out of salt lake always seem to be more expensive for some reason.


True. SLC Airport lacks competition. Flying into Kona, Maui, or Kauai would be sweet, but the $60 interisland arifare - well usually is much higher round trip. But if you do that multi-destination approach I described, then you only need 1-way from the nighbor island.



I often get RT to LAX or Las Vegas, or SFO, or Portland for $400. So if you drive to Vegas. The vacation rental by owner idea might work well given that Christmas holiday doesn't start tying things up until about 12/15. Airfares will get nasty after than an duntil about 1/7. Book early. I normally book last minute for mainland flights and find real bargains, but it does not work out as well for Hawaii flights in my experience.
C
Cougarbib
Right at this moment Las Vegas to Honolulu is $399 or so if you pick departure an dreturn mid-week and shop for the lowest. It is simple to do on Hawiaan Airlines website. It took me 1 minute.



That is about as good as it will get - especially in December. You might find slightly less to another city - but not much and Vegas is easy to get to from SLC.
G
Guest
Cougarbib2 wrote:
Right at this moment Las Vegas to Honolulu is $399 or so if you pick departure an dreturn mid-week and shop for the lowest. It is simple to do on Hawiaan Airlines website. It took me 1 minute.



That is about as good as it will get - especially in December. You might find slightly less to another city - but not much and Vegas is easy to get to from SLC.


Hadn't checked Hawaiian Airlines yet. Let me take a look.
C
Cougarbib
Hawk - I will pick you up at the airport, take you to your hotel, pick you up for the game, get you back to the airport and take you and Lady Hawk out to my favoirte cheap restaurant if you make it. Ever tried Pho - Vietnamese.



I would have you stay atmy house but we are in the middle of a remodeling project and do not have a kitchen due to contractor measuring cabinets wrong.- reorder and reshihp from mainland 2 months plus install - bare walls. I should post a picutre of my microwave sitting on top of the dishwasher which is unhooked of course, and my new refrigerator and 4 bare walls. NO oven - no cook-top - I no cupboards or counter top and all the stuff from the cupboards stacked everywhere - anyway I digree and you get the picture and my wife would kill me.



Maybe I should send her out of town again and invite everyone over for a frat party -



Anyway - I will be happy to help out anyway I can.



The Bibster
G
Guest
I really want to get there. Don't know if I can talk my wife into driving down to Vegas to fly.



No one has a private airplane they'd use to fly us to Hawaii?
Page 1 of 2
This is an archived topic from the original CougarCorner forum. New replies are not accepted.