Archived Topic

Some Things Never Change

by 1967cougar · 10/11/2011

Advertisement
1
1967cougar
Amid all the Big XII hype (which, quite honestly, I found more exciting than the actual games we were playing), I was trying to relate this year to my other years as a Cougar fan. Rummaging through old boxed-up junk, I came upon the little card that has the football schedule for the Cougs for 1967, my freshman year at the Y. Our four home games were: N Mex, W. Mich, Utah, and Arizona. Our six away games were: Wyoming, Oregon St, UTEP, USU, Ariz St, and San Jose St. I don't remember our record that year. It probably wasn't very good since it was pre-LaVell. Tom Hudspeth was the coach - and he sucked! But I can honestly say that I was just as excited that year as I have been any year since then. And it dawned on me, Big XII, Independent, MWC, WAC. . .it really doesn't matter. 'Cuz the Cougs will always be Number One for me. And 10 - 1 against crappy teams is a lot better than 1 - 10 against top-level competition.



Sure, I'm excited about "maybe" getting into the Big XII - just like I was excited about being Independent this time last year. Come to think about it, I was excited when the MWC was created, not to mention when the WAC expanded.



Many of you know the story of the old bull and the young bull standing on the top of the hill. We don't have to "run" down and "enjoy" one football experience. Let's "walk" down and "enjoy" them all. There's a lot of years of BYU football ahead for most of us. the destination isn't what's important - it's the journey.
G
Guest
1967 was a good year:

9/23 New Mexico 44-14 W

9/29 W. Michigan 44-19 W

10/7 @ Wyoming 10-26 L

10/14 @ Oregon St. 31-13 W

10/21 @ UTEP 17-47 L

10/28 Utah 17-13 W

11/4 @ Utah St. 9-30 L

11/11 Arizona (H) 17-14 W

11/18 @ Arizona St. 22-31 L

11/25 @ San Jose St. 67-8 W



Statistical Leaders

Receiving Rec. Yds. TD

Phil Odle* 77 971 9

Rushing Rush Yds. Avg.

Ron Wakley 62 296 4.7

Total Offense Rush Pass Total

Marc Lyons 137 1,313 1,450

Scoring TD PAT FG Pts.

Dennis Patera 0 29 11 62

Punting No. Yds. Avg.

Rich Adams 37 1,530 41.4

Interceptions No. Yds.

Bobby Roberts 7 96

Passing Att. Cmp. Int. Yds. TD

Marc Lyons 193 99 8 1,313 9

* Led Conference



Thanks to CougarStats 1967 Season page: http://www.cougarstats.com/1967.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
1
1967cougar
Wow! Hawk. Thanks for the stats.



I didn't remember Mark Lyons as QB. But I do remember Phil Odle. And I definitely remember sitting in the student "card" section in pouring rain and wet sleet and snow for a few games. Getting up at 3:00 am and going down to wait in line for tickets to the game - awesome experience. Only exceeded by the Smith Fieldhouse experience of leaving the Friday night basketball game, never even going outside, and going into the West Annex and spending all night there waiting for tickets for Saturday nights' game!



I learned as a freshman to never take a girl (one you are really interested in) to a football or basketball game. All they do is pout because, once the game begins, you forget they are there.
D
Dcr36
1967cougar wrote:
Amid all the Big XII hype (which, quite honestly, I found more exciting than the actual games we were playing), I was trying to relate this year to my other years as a Cougar fan. Rummaging through old boxed-up junk, I came upon the little card that has the football schedule for the Cougs for 1967, my freshman year at the Y. Our four home games were: N Mex, W. Mich, Utah, and Arizona. Our six away games were: Wyoming, Oregon St, UTEP, USU, Ariz St, and San Jose St. I don't remember our record that year. It probably wasn't very good since it was pre-LaVell. Tom Hudspeth was the coach - and he sucked! But I can honestly say that I was just as excited that year as I have been any year since then. And it dawned on me, Big XII, Independent, MWC, WAC. . .it really doesn't matter. 'Cuz the Cougs will always be Number One for me. And 10 - 1 against crappy teams is a lot better than 1 - 10 against top-level competition.



Sure, I'm excited about "maybe" getting into the Big XII - just like I was excited about being Independent this time last year. Come to think about it, I was excited when the MWC was created, not to mention when the WAC expanded.



Many of you know the story of the old bull and the young bull standing on the top of the hill. We don't have to "run" down and "enjoy" one football experience. Let's "walk" down and "enjoy" them all. There's a lot of years of BYU football ahead for most of us. the destination isn't what's important - it's the journey.


Dumb question that I'm sure everyone on this board has memorized, but what year did BYU stop playing at that old hillside stadium next to the Smith Fieldhouse?
1
1967cougar
Dcr36 wrote:
Amid all the Big XII hype (which, quite honestly, I found more exciting than the actual games we were playing), I was trying to relate this year to my other years as a Cougar fan. Rummaging through old boxed-up junk, I came upon the little card that has the football schedule for the Cougs for 1967, my freshman year at the Y. Our four home games were: N Mex, W. Mich, Utah, and Arizona. Our six away games were: Wyoming, Oregon St, UTEP, USU, Ariz St, and San Jose St. I don't remember our record that year. It probably wasn't very good since it was pre-LaVell. Tom Hudspeth was the coach - and he sucked! But I can honestly say that I was just as excited that year as I have been any year since then. And it dawned on me, Big XII, Independent, MWC, WAC. . .it really doesn't matter. 'Cuz the Cougs will always be Number One for me. And 10 - 1 against crappy teams is a lot better than 1 - 10 against top-level competition.



Sure, I'm excited about "maybe" getting into the Big XII - just like I was excited about being Independent this time last year. Come to think about it, I was excited when the MWC was created, not to mention when the WAC expanded.



Many of you know the story of the old bull and the young bull standing on the top of the hill. We don't have to "run" down and "enjoy" one football experience. Let's "walk" down and "enjoy" them all. There's a lot of years of BYU football ahead for most of us. the destination isn't what's important - it's the journey.


Dumb question that I'm sure everyone on this board has memorized, but what year did BYU stop playing at that old hillside stadium next to the Smith Fieldhouse?


Gotta be somebody on this board older than me (well, maybe not). At least someone with access to the facts. I know that the Richards PE building had only been open a year when I got there. Wikipedia says the "new" 30,000 seat capacity stadium became the home of the football team in 1964. That would seem to be a plausible time frame.
Advertisement
B
billbillbillbill
BYU Physical Facilities has a written history book of the history of all the buildings on campus. It was an interesting read for the engineer/nerd in me. http://plantwo.byu.edu/

Chapter 7 has some pictures of the stadium when it was completed.



On to the real answer, it was completed for the 1964 season with 30,000 seats.
I
IowaCougar
I know the stands to the old stadium were still there beside the Richards building when I was a student. The divers used to have to run those stadium steps in the mornings. I remember a couple of times getting back into my car to go home after practice and not being able to hold the clutch down with my worn-out legs.



When did they take out the old stands?
B
billbillbillbill
The old stadium was constructed in 1928. It was demolished in 1972 due to deterioration.
B
BigCougsFan
1967cougar wrote:
I learned as a freshman to never take a girl (one you are really interested in) to a football or basketball game. All they do is pout because, once the game begins, you forget they are there.


AMEN BROTHER!



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
Y
Y 4 Ever
BigCougsFan wrote:
I learned as a freshman to never take a girl (one you are really interested in) to a football or basketball game. All they do is pout because, once the game begins, you forget they are there.


AMEN BROTHER!



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">


I've learned to never take a girl (date, wife, daughter, whatever) to ANY sporting event because they won't care about it, will whine, and will want to leave the whole time.
Advertisement
S
Schmoe
Y 4 Ever wrote:
1967cougar wrote:
I learned as a freshman to never take a girl (one you are really interested in) to a football or basketball game. All they do is pout because, once the game begins, you forget they are there.


AMEN BROTHER!



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">


I've learned to never take a girl (date, wife, daughter, whatever) to ANY sporting event because they won't care about it, will whine, and will want to leave the whole time.


Yep, or they talk the whole time about other things, expecting an answer, distracting you from the game, because they think this is like one of those dumb chick-flicks they drag you to where you'd rather be talking than watching anyway.
C
crh55
BigCougsFan wrote:
I learned as a freshman to never take a girl (one you are really interested in) to a football or basketball game. All they do is pout because, once the game begins, you forget they are there.


AMEN BROTHER!



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">


My wife both understands and enjoys football, only problem is the damn team she roots for. But I can't be too surprised, all yewtah fans are girls.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
Y
Y 4 Ever
Schmoe wrote:
BigCougsFan wrote:
I learned as a freshman to never take a girl (one you are really interested in) to a football or basketball game. All they do is pout because, once the game begins, you forget they are there.


AMEN BROTHER!



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">


I've learned to never take a girl (date, wife, daughter, whatever) to ANY sporting event because they won't care about it, will whine, and will want to leave the whole time.


Yep, or they talk the whole time about other things, expecting an answer, distracting you from the game, because they think this is like one of those dumb chick-flicks they drag you to where you'd rather be talking than watching anyway.


True story: I once wasted a lower bowl jazz playoff ticket vs the lakers to take my wife to the game. I had to physically stop her from pulling out her knitting in the 2nd quarter. (FYI she was 30 not 80). She actually fell asleep on my shoulder during the 4th quarter.



I haven't taken her to a sporting event ever since.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
D
Dcr36
You guys have it tough. My wife's a bigger sports fan than I am.



Although that means having to put up the agony of her Pittsburgh Panthers fandom. If you think "unfulfilled potential" describes BYU this year, I recommend you look at both their football and basketball programs over the last decade.
G
Guest
Sucks to be you guys. LadyHawk wasn't the biggest football fan, until she went to the Women's Clinic (which BYU has since stupidly canceled and replaced it with the moronic 'couple's clinic'). That ignited a life long love of Cougar sports.
Advertisement
Y
Y 4 Ever
Dcr36 wrote:
You guys have it tough. My wife's a bigger sports fan than I am.



Although that means having to put up the agony of her Pittsburgh Panthers fandom. If you think "unfulfilled potential" describes BYU this year, I recommend you look at both their football and basketball programs over the last decade.

At least you'll have some common ground this week...



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
W
Wolverine
My wife is a huge sports fan but is the ultimate "anti-cougar" or should I say the "anti-whatever team I cheer for". We once were in LES for a New Mexico game and she was wearing red and a nice little "grandma" type welcomed us to Provo, BYU, and the game as we entered the stadium, and told us how they loved the "visiting" fans that came from out of town. All she could see was my wife in red and I was invisible in my BYU shirt and hat. Either it is true love or I am a weak, weak individual as I have sat next to my lovely wife of almost 30 years at games while she wore a Notre Dame sweatshirt, a Florida State jersey, and a Utah State sweatshirt (we do have a daughter attending USU), but she knows the line is drawn in the sand when it comes to the Utes...bless her little heart! ;) GO COUGARS!
R
redneckjedi
Took my wife to the Texas game - she absolutely loved it and was encouraging me to get more into the action. We were in the visiting section and it was a party in the first half. I think she actually took the second half a lot harder than I did, because it's new to her and she hasn't learned to separate her sports and her feelings. My favorite comment was, "That's not fair! They keep doing that thing where one guy pretends to give the ball to the other guy, but he still has it! That's CHEATING! *I* can't even tell who has it!" (Thank goodness I didn't take her to an Air Force game!)



I guess it comes down to attitude. Because I've shown an interest in the things she likes, even if I never would do them by myself, she's shown an interest in the things I like. And we end up having more fun together both ways. Yes, at times this may mean I have to do something retarded like go clothes shopping with her. (Thank heaven for smartphones!) In the end, though, it's a win-win.
B
BerliNY
redneckjedi wrote:
Took my wife to the Texas game - she absolutely loved it and was encouraging me to get more into the action. We were in the visiting section and it was a party in the first half. I think she actually took the second half a lot harder than I did, because it's new to her and she hasn't learned to separate her sports and her feelings. My favorite comment was, "That's not fair! They keep doing that thing where one guy pretends to give the ball to the other guy, but he still has it! That's CHEATING! *I* can't even tell who has it!" (Thank goodness I didn't take her to an Air Force game!)



I guess it comes down to attitude. Because I've shown an interest in the things she likes, even if I never would do them by myself, she's shown an interest in the things I like. And we end up having more fun together both ways. Yes, at times this may mean I have to do something retarded like go clothes shopping with her. (Thank heaven for smartphones!) In the end, though, it's a win-win.


Crack me up.
G
Guest
BerliNY wrote:
Took my wife to the Texas game - she absolutely loved it and was encouraging me to get more into the action. We were in the visiting section and it was a party in the first half. I think she actually took the second half a lot harder than I did, because it's new to her and she hasn't learned to separate her sports and her feelings. My favorite comment was, "That's not fair! They keep doing that thing where one guy pretends to give the ball to the other guy, but he still has it! That's CHEATING! *I* can't even tell who has it!" (Thank goodness I didn't take her to an Air Force game!)



I guess it comes down to attitude. Because I've shown an interest in the things she likes, even if I never would do them by myself, she's shown an interest in the things I like. And we end up having more fun together both ways. Yes, at times this may mean I have to do something retarded like go clothes shopping with her. (Thank heaven for smartphones!) In the end, though, it's a win-win.


Crack me up.


Don't they call a penalty on this, the 'attempt to deceive the defense' penalty? Or is that only against BYU ;)
Page 1 of 2
This is an archived topic from the original CougarCorner forum. New replies are not accepted.