Archived Topic

Riley Nelson vs Steve Young

by byu6584 · 10/10/2011

Advertisement
B
byu6584
First time contributor, lonnnnnnnng time reader (going way back the the ErrWolf/Jefe days at CB). Thanks to the keepers of this site who provide this forum and maintain its integrity. Also thanks to those contributors who offer great insights.



Comparisons between Riley and prior quarterbacks have been made, especially to Steve Young and Brandon Doman. I was attending the Y during the Wilson/McMahon/Young era, so I got to see their feats first hand. I was out of state for Doman, so I did not see a lot of his play.



I find it interesting when people say Riley compares more favorably to Doman than to Young, especially when referring to Riley's arm. Having watched Steve Young from the get-go, let me tell you that at the beginning he did not have an impressive arm, and the team did not get off to a stellar start with him, either. I remember well, wandering around the Utah State Fair grounds back in 82, with my wife and toddler daughter. I often stopped by the pavilion where the BYU game against Georgia/Herschel Walker was being aired. BYU barely lost that game and Young threw 6 (yes, six) interceptions. All I could think was, "If only McMahon were there we would have killed Georgia" (and we would have, too). BYU lost on a late-game field goal, 17-14. One interesting side note, Tom Holmoe had a pick 6 that game. The defense scored half our points. Hmmm...



The point is,.. Young did not start out as a great BYU QB. He had to knock off a lot of rough edges. Thankfully, Ted Tollner came on board and saw the leadership and potential there. Had Doug Scoville remained as OC, Steve Young would not be part of any football conversation, today. We'd all be raving about Eric Kryzmarcik (sp).



I'm not saying Riley is another Steve Young, but, to me, there are a lot of parallels. They bring the same leadership, attitude, grit, fire, and excitement to the game. It was painful to watch Young, at first, struggle with his passing. But you knew he was a fearless gamer that would not quit, and would give his all to win the game. I see a lot of the same in Nelson.



Although Riley made a couple of foolish throws and a bad throw against SJSU, I was actually very pleased with his arm, and accuracy. That 40 yard bomb to Jacobson was 50 yards in the air, and a perfect strike. I believe Nelson demonstrated sufficient arm strength. I think what Riley needs is refinement through reps. I have to hand it to the kid for sticking in there with a good attitude, while playing behind Heaps. A lesser person would have become embittered, Riley rose above it.



I just don't believe Heaps is ready, yet. His body of work at BYU does not show a whole lot. My hope is that he is given the time (and uses it well) to hone his game and get some moxy, just like Nielson, Wilson, McMahon, Young, Bosco and Doman ALL did. Those guys were able to put their stamps on BYU quarterbacking history with two or less years of starting duty. Let's hope Jake can do the same, and grow from this adversity he is now facing.
G
Guest
Thanks for the contribution byu6584. I'm always pleased when we get some insights from others. It expands the conversation and gives more insights. One of the basic problems with most of us and comparisons to Steve Young is that we're just too young. Most of us only remember the 49ers Young and the ESPN Classics games. Not the path to get there.
B
BYUNLVFAN
Is this a serious thread?? They are both left-handed. That is where the comparisons end...
B
BroncoBot
Thanks for the post byu6584, feel free to ignore BYUNLVFAN. (I mean, he did put UNLV in his name :utard: )
B
byufan4ever
I remember watching the NFL QB Challenge (the NFL really needs to bring this back) during the Pro Bowl one year and Steve Young only threw the ball 45 yards on the distance challenge. So, the ability to throw the ball 100 yards is not required to be a great QB. Nelson does need to work on his accuracy, in fact, most of his bad throws were Heaps type throws: bullets and either high or behind. I also remember watching an NFL Top 100 TDs in the late 90s and Steve Young had a scrambling zig-zag TD that made the list. Nelson brings that awesome running ability although he's more of a "run over you" style compared to the "make you miss" style of Young. Finally, I remember watching that replay when Young threw 6 ints after he was already NFL famous and I had no clue that Young had been that bad at one time.
Advertisement
B
byu6584
BYUNLVFAN wrote:
Is this a serious thread?? They are both left-handed. That is where the comparisons end...


Thanks for the warm welcome.



Please elaborate specifically where I am off-base on their comparative similarities I've listed. Make sure not to infer things I did not write (such as.. "Riley Nelson is destined for the NFL Hall of Fame")



(Sheesh, I totally forgot about the left hands, good catch.)
I
IowaCougar
byu6584 wrote:
Is this a serious thread?? They are both left-handed. That is where the comparisons end...


Thanks for the warm welcome.



Please elaborate specifically where I am off-base on their comparative similarities I've listed. Make sure not to infer things I did not write (such as.. "Riley Nelson is destined for the NFL Hall of Fame")



(Sheesh, I totally forgot about the left hands, good catch.)


Actually, coming from the same era, I agree wholeheartedly. Steve Young was roundly criticized for not having a good enough arm, and being too quick to run. In my opinion, he turned out to be BYU's best quarterback.
R
redneckjedi
byufan4ever wrote:
I remember watching the NFL QB Challenge (the NFL really needs to bring this back) during the Pro Bowl one year and Steve Young only threw the ball 45 yards on the distance challenge. So, the ability to throw the ball 100 yards is not required to be a great QB. Nelson does need to work on his accuracy, in fact, most of his bad throws were Heaps type throws: bullets and either high or behind. I also remember watching an NFL Top 100 TDs in the late 90s and Steve Young had a scrambling zig-zag TD that made the list. Nelson brings that awesome running ability although he's more of a "run over you" style compared to the "make you miss" style of Young. Finally, I remember watching that replay when Young threw 6 ints after he was already NFL famous and I had no clue that Young had been that bad at one time.


My memory has it at 60, not 45, but still nowhere in the range of guys like Marino with 75 or so. Wasn't that the one where he made a big deal about stepping over the line, and personally throwing the flag on another guy for the same thing? Those were good times... :)
U
Ungoy
byu6584 wrote:
Is this a serious thread?? They are both left-handed. That is where the comparisons end...


Thanks for the warm welcome.



Please elaborate specifically where I am off-base on their comparative similarities I've listed. Make sure not to infer things I did not write (such as.. "Riley Nelson is destined for the NFL Hall of Fame")



(Sheesh, I totally forgot about the left hands, good catch.)


Pay no attention to him. There are some people here who are so anti-Nelson that they can't admit that he is a good QB and right now the best option for our team to win. I really appreciated you analysis. Steve Young played his college ball before my time, but in my early years, he was the reason I watched NFL football. He was that good. :) I see that same competitive nature and drive to win with Riley. Heaps could learn a lot just by watching Nelson and gleaning from his drive to win, and passion for the game, things Heaps currently lacks.
J
jonnylingo
I had to chuckle just reading the title of this post.
Advertisement
B
BroncoBot
jonnylingo wrote:
I had to chuckle just reading the title of this post.

So you were around during Steve Young's BYU days?
B
birdie702
Ungoy wrote:
BYUNLVFAN wrote:
Is this a serious thread?? They are both left-handed. That is where the comparisons end...


Thanks for the warm welcome.



Please elaborate specifically where I am off-base on their comparative similarities I've listed. Make sure not to infer things I did not write (such as.. "Riley Nelson is destined for the NFL Hall of Fame")



(Sheesh, I totally forgot about the left hands, good catch.)


Pay no attention to him. There are some people here who are so anti-Nelson that they can't admit that he is a good QB and right now the best option for our team to win. ..


Yup, I am one of the anti-Nelson's.... I have my reasons; you have yours. Let's hope he proves all of the nay sayers (me included) in the next couple of games. If he does, then I will be the first to come back to apologize and admit that I was wrong. Fair enough? ;)
S
SpiffCoug
birdie702 wrote:
Yup, I am one of the anti-Nelson's.... I have my reasons; you have yours. Let's hope he proves all of the nay sayers (me included) in the next couple of games. If he does, then I will be the first to come back to apologize and admit that I was wrong. Fair enough? ;)

So you're going to start looking for proof this week and just discount Riley's efforts the last two weeks?
C
Cougy_Monster
I'm of the opinion that Steve Young and Chuck Norris are 2 people that can only be compared to each other and otherwise are above comparison.



Nevertheless, I totally agree with the this thread. Young took almost an entire season to get coached into just stepping up in the pocket and not tucking and running right away. And at first he had a hard time. But so did almost every BYU QB. Marc Wilson threw what 6 TDs his first start ever and then 6 INTs his 2nd start. If heaps or nelson did that I'd be ok w it. Because at least there is potential for 6 TDs.



I do remember in the NFL thinking that Young's 30-40 yard passes were bullets and bullseyes. Way strong arm for intermediate passes which fit the 9ers perfectly. But I could see how BYU fans wouldn't like his deep range limitations after McMahon who was reported to throw the ball from the 20 yd line and get it to roll into the endzone (80 yds away, not 20) from his knees.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
C
Cougy_Monster
And regarding scrambling. Nelson is good. Young was freaking AMAZING. His 50ish yard TD scramble (not run, he was scrambling the whole time) against the Vikings was made into a Burgerr King commercial for Pete's sake. Thats how good he was.



He had the fastest 40 time on the 9ers in his prime.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
Advertisement
J
jonnylingo
declocoug wrote:
I had to chuckle just reading the title of this post.

So you were around during Steve Young's BYU days?


No but comparing riley to young at any point in his career is completely premature and silly.



Say what you want but it is no different than people annointing heaps as our next heisman trophy winner coming into this season.



Why don't we save comparing our second string quarterbacks who struggle to beat the likes of san jose state to byu greats until they have finished their time at byu, or even a whole season as a starter maybe.



the conversation is silly and completely too early to even be having. Just my opinion whether i was around when young was playing at byu or not. but it is a message board so you are all free to see what comparisons you can find. Have fun.
S
SpiffCoug
Cougy_Monster wrote:
I'm of the opinion that Steve Young and Chuck Norris are 2 people that can only be compared to each other and otherwise are above comparison.

[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">

So where does Jimmer figure in?
S
SpiffCoug
Cougy_Monster wrote:
And regarding scrambling. Nelson is good. Young was freaking AMAZING. His 50ish yard TD scramble (not run, he was scrambling the whole time) against the Vikings was made into a Burgerr King commercial for Pete's sake. Thats how good he was.



He had the fastest 40 time on the 9ers in his prime.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uXF6a2ZXgp0
C
Cougy_Monster
But in the end I dare say BYU might be 5-0 and would for sure be 4-1 if Nelson had started all year.



I can't believe I just wrote that. Cougy_Monster from august would be throwing up a little in his mouth right now. But October Cougy_Monster is now a Nelson believer and a Heaps come-back-when-you-can-check-down-to-anyone-that's-open-and-then-get-the-ball-in-the-same-time-zone-at-a-catchable-velocity-and-trajectory-er



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
F
frdbtr
jonnylingo wrote:

Why don't we save comparing our second string quarterbacks who struggle to beat the likes of san jose state to byu greats until they have finished their time at byu, or even a whole season as a starter maybe.



the conversation is silly and completely too early to even be having. Just my opinion whether i was around when young was playing at byu or not. but it is a message board so you are all free to see what comparisons you can find. Have fun.


Did we watch the same game? Because the game I watched, there was no "barely" about it.
Page 1 of 3
This is an archived topic from the original CougarCorner forum. New replies are not accepted.