Archived Topic

stating the obvious.

by BroncoBot · 10/10/2011

Advertisement
B
BroncoBot
From J. Drew.



"Mendenhall acknowledged the team didn't play as well in the second half as the first half, and acknowledged the play-calling might have gotten more conservative on both sides of the ball. He said that it felt like at one point the Cougars "were on the verge of running away with it,"



Why hasn't BYU learned their lesson here? Why does it seem that when BYU gets a large lead they let off the gas? I hate to say this because I was one of the biggest critics of the onside kick vs Wyoming that utah pulled, but maybe that type of aggression is what keeps the team hungry. I don't know, something HAS to change. Where did the QB pressure go in the second half? Where did the passing game go?



BTW, was that a sweet play to Kariya for a TD or what? Would love to see some more creativity out of BYU.
L
Lawboy
We need to try to score 50 on teams, and let the O feast and gain confidence. This team needs that, and the coaches should stop managing time and start letting the horses run. Time to loosen the bit. Crowton sure let Doman run it up in 2001. Bet he had fun doing it too.
C
Cougs_Rule
So, if he meant, we unnecessarily got conservative on offense, good.

If he was just being observant and responding to the question--then Riley is right form last week. Maybe we will only win by 1 TD-ish.

As for the end of the game, I'm somewhat glad he didnt push for another score.

But, agreed. SCORE THE BALL!
G
Gunk
Was watching the game with my dad who hasn't been able to see many games recently and told him as the 2nd half started that we'd switch to a more conservative game plan as Bronco doesn't like to "run up" the score.
E
EM_Puma
You know, for as much as we go out of the way to be hospitable, etc., we sure get a bad wrap. I guess it will always be like that.



This goes back to my idea where it is hard to follow a team where I don't see another school not trying to rake the other over the coals. We're always trying not to burn the bridge. That approach appears to be by choice and like I said to a Ute co-worker last week, I told him he had it easy and that it's hard to be a BYU fan.
Advertisement
T
tmoney35
If Bronco doesn't want to run up the score, that's fine, but a 17 point halftime lead is NOT the time to let off the gas. Teams come back from that kind of deficit all the time! If you're really concerned about blowing people out, I'd say wait till you have a 4 touchdown lead, at least.
This is an archived topic from the original CougarCorner forum. New replies are not accepted.