Archived Topic

Riley should have been benched when ...

by jvquarterback · 10/10/2011

Advertisement
J
jvquarterback
1. He threw that pass straight up in the air (in bounds) while being sacked.

2. He threw the screen pass that would have been a pick six if the LB had eyes or hands.



He didn't impress much against a worse defense than any Heaps faced all season.



FYI I'm glad BYU won, and I like Riley, but this would have been the perfect game to get Heaps some confidence.
B
BYUBALLIN
agree
S
Schmoe
I don't see how leading the team to a loss vs SJSU would have given Heaps any confidence.
G
Gunk
It was the dudes first complete game in nearly half a decade.



So far, Riley has shown more improvement over last year than Heaps. You gave Heaps four games to try and work out the wrinkles, the least you can do is give Riley a game or two.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
M
Mingjai
jvquarterback wrote:
1. He threw that pass straight up in the air (in bounds) while being sacked.

2. He threw the screen pass that would have been a pick six if the LB had eyes or hands.



He didn't impress much against a worse defense than any Heaps faced all season.



FYI I'm glad BYU won, and I like Riley, but this would have been the perfect game to get Heaps some confidence.


Looking at the replay, I think the screen pass would have hit Kariya in the hands had he not been tripped by his lineman when Nelson was throwing the ball.



Just like how Heaps' play in the last 6 games of last year earned him 4 1/2 games this year, I think Nelson's play versus USU and the first half of SJSU earned him at least the remainder of the SJSU game.
Advertisement
F
frdbtr
jvquarterback wrote:
1. He threw that pass straight up in the air (in bounds) while being sacked.

2. He threw the screen pass that would have been a pick six if the LB had eyes or hands.



He didn't impress much against a worse defense than any Heaps faced all season.



FYI I'm glad BYU won, and I like Riley, but this would have been the perfect game to get Heaps some confidence.




How bout this, Riley should be benched when he has a per of less then 100 for 4 games straight. So far, in his last 5.5 quarters, it hasn't been close to that.
L
Lawboy
Next week will be the test. We were good enough to win Saturday, and do so comfortably. Let's see how it goes @Oregon State, and then judge. I suspect that if Riley struggles and we get behind, he will get the hook and see what Jake can do. But he gets a shot to get it done. And he should.
S
Schmoe
Did you know? San Jose State allows opposing passers to complete, on average, 60.47% of their passes, and Utah State allows an average of 60.69%.
K
kjjson
jvquarterback wrote:
1. He threw that pass straight up in the air (in bounds) while being sacked.


I think Riley must have seen this play from a couple of weeks ago...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tVlYCha0d48

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tVlYCha0d48
S
Schmoe
Ain't no way, yo!
Advertisement
J
jonnylingo
Lawboy wrote:
Next week will be the test. We were good enough to win Saturday, and do so comfortably. Let's see how it goes @Oregon State, and then judge. I suspect that if Riley struggles and we get behind, he will get the hook and see what Jake can do. But he gets a shot to get it done. And he should.


Agree.
S
stuckinbig10country
I'm in the Heaps is better than Nelson camp, and think that Jake should have been given this last game (by far the easiest game we've had all year) to work on his confidence.



Even though I feel this way, Nelson did nothing in this game to be benched during the game.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
B
Brayden Green
Schmoe wrote:
Did you know? San Jose State allows opposing passers to complete, on average, 60.47% of their passes, and Utah State allows an average of 60.69%.


against worse teams. Are you really still trying to compare these two teams as the same?



Seriously...
W
Wickchad
Nelson had two bad passes and one misread. The screen pass to Kariya was not Nelson's fault. Nelson was in the middle of throwing the pass when Kariya tripped. Nelson's interception thrown towards Matthews was terrible. The ball was no where close to where it should have been. The other terrible pass was the heave straight up in the air while trying to avoid the 15 yard sack. That was about the stupidest thing I have seen a D-1 QB do. We lucked out that it wasn't intercepted. I'm still trying to rank which was worse, that throw or Heaps' slipped ball-barrel roll in the end zone against Utah. Maybe its a tie.



The interception thrown towards Jacobsen was a misread. He should have checked down to DiLuigi who came out of the backfield uncovered. He was open ten yards down field and probably would have picked up ten more.



I just hope that our defense is playing very well on Saturday because we are going to be lucky pulling off the win based on the play of either of our quarterbacks.
C
Cougs_Rule
stuckinbig10country wrote:
I'm in the Heaps is better than Nelson camp, and think that Jake should have been given this last game (by far the easiest game we've had all year) to work on his confidence.



Even though I feel this way, Nelson did nothing in this game to be benched during the game.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">


No way Heaps should have gotten in this game! AND I have been a pretty ardent defender of Heaps. There is a time to get back in the saddle and a time to rest.

Heaps needed to get his head cleared, watch, learn to enjoy football again.

Riley needed and has earned a full game.

AND, not that the fans should have a say, but "the fickle crowd" would have booed Jake into oblivion with his first mis-step.

What Riley did is show how good he can be for ONE HALF. And he raised doubts in the fickle fans and coaches with his 2nd half performance.

Give Jake another half or two and let him ease back in slowly.
Advertisement
B
Brayden Green
Heaps should have gotten in this game, as the 2nd string qb up big in the 3rd. Problem is, SJSU was right in this game from the 3rd quarter on, with all the turnovers and settled for field goals.
B
BerliNY
Lawboy wrote:
Next week will be the test. We were good enough to win Saturday, and do so comfortably. Let's see how it goes @Oregon State, and then judge. I suspect that if Riley struggles and we get behind, he will get the hook and see what Jake can do. But he gets a shot to get it done. And he should.


Yes.
S
SpiffCoug
Wickchad84087 wrote:
Nelson's interception thrown towards Matthews was terrible. The ball was no where close to where it should have been.

This INT wasn't Nelson's fault either. Matthews got his hand on it. It should have been caught. ;)
C
Cougs_Rule
BlueIsBetter wrote:
Heaps should have gotten in this game, as the 2nd string qb up big in the 3rd. Problem is, SJSU was right in this game from the 3rd quarter on, with all the turnovers and settled for field goals.


Agreed. It should have been 30+ to 3 at halftime. And 40-6 in the 3rd quarter.
B
Brayden Green
SpiffCoug wrote:
Nelson's interception thrown towards Matthews was terrible. The ball was no where close to where it should have been.

This INT wasn't Nelson's fault either. Matthews got his hand on it. It should have been caught. ;)


Yeah you are right, a 6'7" Matthews, in full jump and stretch couldn't got a fingertip on it. That WAS a well thrown ball ;)
Page 1 of 3
This is an archived topic from the original CougarCorner forum. New replies are not accepted.