Archived Topic

About the QB

by superchargedcougar · 10/10/2011

Advertisement
S
superchargedcougar
I must admit that I bought into the Heaps hype. Now, I still think he's got potential, but I'm really glad Riley has won 2 games for us so far. When he threw that beautiful TD pass to Jacobsen I was thinking "hey maybe this kid could be like the new Steve Young with a little practice and good coaching." Then he threw some picks and fumbled the ball. So right now, I'm a former Heaps lover, now a tentative slightly pro-Heaps guy who would really like to see Lark get a chance.
C
Cougarfan87
I was formerly pro Heaps because I didn't see much in Nelson last year. Admittedly he was injured. After watching Heaps fail to progress and stall drives this year I am pro whoever gives us the best chance of winning. Right now I think that is Neslon. He picked the team up to win the USU game and played well enough to not have to rely on the defense/special teams for a win against SJSU. He should keep starting until he is surpassed by someone else who plays better IN GAMES.



I would like to put enough on one of these teams to see what Lark/Munns can do in games as well. If we are up by 30 at the half, it would be nice to give Heaps a couple of drives and the other QBs a couple of drives. Sadly, I don't think our pass defense will allow us to ever be up by 30.
F
frdbtr
I'm pro winning. Nelson is running the offense better then Heaps has all year. Nelson should be the guy until someone else proves that they can run the offense in games better then him.
U
Ungoy
I'm pro winning. If Heaps helps BYU win, I'm pro Heaps. If Nelson helps us win, I'm pro Nelson. If Lark... and so on....
G
Guest
I'm pro BYU, which I think means being pro Heaps.



That means I want Heaps to take BYU to the next level, if he can, as he said he would. As SpiffCoug quoted another person from twitter on the CougarCorner Podcast, 'If it takes 3 years to become a good QB, you only have 1 year to be exceptional.' I want Heaps to be that good QB with the most amount of time left to be an exceptional qb. I believe the way to do that is to spend some time on the bench and light that fire in his belly.
Advertisement
V
vancouvercougar
hawkwing wrote:
I'm pro BYU, which I think means being pro Heaps.



That means I want Heaps to take BYU to the next level, if he can, as he said he would. As SpiffCoug quoted another person from twitter on the CougarCorner Podcast, 'If it takes 3 years to become a good QB, you only have 1 year to be exceptional.' I want Heaps to be that good QB with the most amount of time left to be an exceptional qb. I believe the way to do that is to spend some time on the bench and light that fire in his belly.


Spot on Hawk. I am for Riley right now until Jake can pull it together and be all that we hoped he would be. He needed this break (even if he, Jake, didn't think so).
C
CougarClaw
All those options and you still missed one! ( I think, I read it twice)



Formerly Pr0-Nelson, Still Pro Nelson. I was in the camp that it would have been best for everyone to have heaps red-shirt last year. After nelson's injury, not sure what I would have done as a coach (Burn the red-shirt or trot out an unprepared Lark) but it's even more clear than ever that Heaps needs more development.
S
Schmoe
I'm pro-BYU, which means that I'm pro-every player on the team.
S
superchargedcougar
CougarClaw wrote:
All those options and you still missed one! ( I think, I read it twice)



Formerly Pr0-Nelson, Still Pro Nelson. I was in the camp that it would have been best for everyone to have heaps red-shirt last year. After nelson's injury, not sure what I would have done as a coach (Burn the red-shirt or trot out an unprepared Lark) but it's even more clear than ever that Heaps needs more development.


Yeah I know. I couldn't fit it in. :~(



I put it as the last option now
S
sandiegoblue
I chose formerly pro-Heaps and now just want to win. Although, I temporarily wanted to see Lark rather than Nelson come in. After seeing Nelson win games, albeit with messy flair, that's working for me until it stops working. Turnovers, bad throws, and stupid decisions certainly makes games interesting. I am trying to overlook that, but we are doing more than our fair share this year.



Anyway, at this point I think we will make it to a bowl game this year. I'd say the odds are in favor now with the 3 worst teams coming up (NMSU, Idaho, and Idaho St.). Hoping we might even win 2 out of 3 against Oregon State, TCU, and Hawaii. Won't be easy.
Advertisement
S
scott715
I am looking for a free Heaps/Riley zone. I just care about the team now.
M
mizzoucoug
CougarClaw wrote:
All those options and you still missed one! ( I think, I read it twice)



Formerly Pr0-Nelson, Still Pro Nelson. I was in the camp that it would have been best for everyone to have heaps red-shirt last year. After nelson's injury, not sure what I would have done as a coach (Burn the red-shirt or trot out an unprepared Lark) but it's even more clear than ever that Heaps needs more development.


You are a genius. No, but seriously I jumped on the hype train because Heaps clearly looked worlds better than Nelson last season. But yeah, long-term it still needed to be Nelson. I am now fully on board with Nelson being the unquestioned starter until 2013.
This is an archived topic from the original CougarCorner forum. New replies are not accepted.