Archived Topic

2011 BYU Quarterback PERs by Half:

by SpiffCoug · 10/9/2011

Advertisement
S
SpiffCoug
Ole Miss

1st Half: Heaps - 78.25; Riley - no attempts

2nd Half: Heaps - 168.65; Riley - no attempts



Texas

1st Half: Heaps - 115.90; Riley - no attempts

2nd Half: Heaps - 66.26; Riley - no attempts



Utah

1st Half: Heaps - 158.44; Riley - no attempts

2nd Half: Heaps - 68.09; Riley - 103.20



UCF

1st Half: Heaps - 82.46; Riley - 0.00 (one attempt)

2nd Half: Heaps - 60.43; Riley - no attempts



Utah State

1st Half: Heaps - 87.84; Riley - no attempts

2nd Half: Heaps - 48.40; Riley - 204.97



San Jose St

1st Half: Heaps - no attempts; Riley - 229.86

2nd Half: Heaps - no attempts; Riley - 61.16



Totals

1st Half: Heaps - 105.30; Riley - 214.53 // Comp% H-.541; R-.667

2nd Half: Heaps - 86.32; Riley - 136.68 // Comp% H-.539; R-.567



The two highest PER halves are by Riley. The two lowest are by Heaps. the third lowest is Riley against SJSU.



Sorry, guys there is no statistical backing show Riley shouldn't be the guy to lead the offense the rest of the year. Let Jake get better from watching.
U
Ungoy
I get what you're saying... I just have one problem with your data...



You have Ole Miss up there twice with different stats... When was this second Ole Miss game? ;)
S
SpiffCoug
Fixed it. I entered the Ole Miss stats and then copied those lines to change for the other games. I must have hit Ctrl+V one too many times.
S
stuckinbig10country
I have a feeling that the change may have come a week early. SJSU is obviously the worst defense we have faced all year. At least one of Heaps' lowest halves came against the #1 PER defense team. Riley had a PER 61 against SJSU.
C
Cougarbib
stuckinbig10country wrote:
I have a feeling that the change may have come a week early. SJSU is obviously the worst defense we have faced all year. At least one of Heaps' lowest halves came against the #1 PER defense team. Riley had a PER 61 against SJSU.




What did you want to do - lose to Urah State again in the Quest for POTENTIAL?



That is a big problem with the mindset of the last year and a half. Losing is contgious. You just do not want to get in the habit. People aeem willing to have BYU lose games to invest in developing the long-term guy. HIstory has proven that the best way to develop a team and a program and the long-term guy is to win your games. Bronco and Brandon need to play every game as if winning this game is the 5th most important thing to them at that moment - you know - behind God, Family, and all that stuff. But not behind worrying about how to get some guy ready to pkay next week or next year. You do need to worry about those things, but in the context of winning every game you can possibly win. You never get them back. Recruits see won / loss percentages. They do not come to programs to cough up a few games this year for the good of next year.
Advertisement
B
Ball4
I consider myself a football fan and a huge BYU fan, but I am going to ask a question that just might get my man card taken away. This is the first time I've seen it, but I've seen it posted every week on this board. I would like to understand it a bit more...so...



WHAT THE HECK IS P.E.R. ? And what goes into the calculations? :whistle:
C
CAFB_04-12
P.E.R. is pass(er) efficiency rating. It's made from butterflies and rainbows.



I think the formula is in Spiff's signature.
S
SpiffCoug
Ball4 wrote:
I consider myself a football fan and a huge BYU fan, but I am going to ask a question that just might get my man card taken away. This is the first time I've seen it, but I've seen it posted every week on this board. I would like to understand it a bit more...so...



WHAT THE HECK IS P.E.R. ? And what goes into the calculations? :whistle:

PER stands for passing efficiency rating. It is the stat most correlated with winning -- outside of points allowed/scored.



When BYU wins the PER battle they win many more games than not.



Over the last 10 years the average PER for a BYU QB has been 136. So here at CougarCorner, we've adopted it as the gold standard. A BYU QB, regardless of playing experience needs to be hitting this minimum level of performance. Asking any BYU QB to be an average BYU QB shouldn't be asking too much of any of the talented players BYU recruits for that position.
R
redneckjedi
SpiffCoug wrote:
I consider myself a football fan and a huge BYU fan, but I am going to ask a question that just might get my man card taken away. This is the first time I've seen it, but I've seen it posted every week on this board. I would like to understand it a bit more...so...



WHAT THE HECK IS P.E.R. ? And what goes into the calculations? :whistle:

PER stands for passing efficiency rating. It is the stat most correlated with winning -- outside of points allowed/scored.



When BYU wins the PER battle they win many more games than not.



Over the last 10 years the average PER for a BYU QB has been 136. So here at CougarCorner, we've adopted it as the gold standard. A BYU QB, regardless of playing experience needs to be hitting this minimum level of performance. Asking any BYU QB to be an average BYU QB shouldn't be asking too much of any of the talented players BYU recruits for that position.


It feels a little weird to me to say that an average is now the minimum, especially given some of the fantastic performances that have pushed that average up.
C
CougarClaw
Two thoughts on your numbers.



1) why on earth is heaps' numbers DROPPING as the season goes on? That makes no sense to me whatsoever.



2) doesn't seem to matter who's in at QB, we have MAJOR second-half issues.
Advertisement
S
Schmoe
CougarClaw wrote:
Two thoughts on your numbers.



1) why on earth is heaps' numbers DROPPING as the season goes on? That makes no sense to me whatsoever.



2) doesn't seem to matter who's in at QB, we have MAJOR second-half issues.


They're not HIS numbers, the PER is a set standard used both in NCAA and NFL football.



So, to answer your questions:



1) Because he wasn't getting better.



2) Yes, yes we do.
C
CougarClaw
Schmoe wrote:
Two thoughts on your numbers.



1) why on earth is heaps' numbers DROPPING as the season goes on? That makes no sense to me whatsoever.



2) doesn't seem to matter who's in at QB, we have MAJOR second-half issues.


They're not HIS numbers, the PER is a set standard used both in NCAA and NFL football.



So, to answer your questions:



1) Because he wasn't getting better.



2) Yes, yes we do.


You could have replaced all your words with "blah" and added about as much to my original points. thanks.
S
Schmoe
CougarClaw wrote:
CougarClaw wrote:
Two thoughts on your numbers.



1) why on earth is heaps' numbers DROPPING as the season goes on? That makes no sense to me whatsoever.



2) doesn't seem to matter who's in at QB, we have MAJOR second-half issues.


They're not HIS numbers, the PER is a set standard used both in NCAA and NFL football.



So, to answer your questions:



1) Because he wasn't getting better.



2) Yes, yes we do.


You could have replaced all your words with "blah" and added about as much to my original points. thanks.


Sorry, I'll never try to be helpful, clarify, and answer another one of your posts ever again.



Maybe this will help http://tinyurl.com/6jclq5u" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
B
BroncoBot
really? after a Win?
C
Cougarbib
redneckjedi wrote:
Ball4 wrote:
I consider myself a football fan and a huge BYU fan, but I am going to ask a question that just might get my man card taken away. This is the first time I've seen it, but I've seen it posted every week on this board. I would like to understand it a bit more...so...



WHAT THE HECK IS P.E.R. ? And what goes into the calculations? :whistle:

PER stands for passing efficiency rating. It is the stat most correlated with winning -- outside of points allowed/scored.



When BYU wins the PER battle they win many more games than not.



Over the last 10 years the average PER for a BYU QB has been 136. So here at CougarCorner, we've adopted it as the gold standard. A BYU QB, regardless of playing experience needs to be hitting this minimum level of performance. Asking any BYU QB to be an average BYU QB shouldn't be asking too much of any of the talented players BYU recruits for that position.



Yeah - except some duds have lowered the average. 136 probably equates pretty closely to Kevin Feterik, I will guess, but do not know. Spiff will know. I liked Feterik and followed him closely due to having a mutual friend of his father's in So. Cal.



He was good enough to play for the team his dad bought in the CFL.



Kind of Ben Cahoon good, but not quite as good.



Feterik is my minimum acceptable BYU QB.



Covey, Mike and Tom Young, Shoemaker, Berry, Larry Kung's step nephew, and many others fall short, but still had better PER than Jake Heaps.

It feels a little weird to me to say that an average is now the minimum, especially given some of the fantastic performances that have pushed that average up.[/quote]



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
Advertisement
C
Cougarbib
Schmoe wrote:
Schmoe wrote:
Two thoughts on your numbers.



1) why on earth is heaps' numbers DROPPING as the season goes on? That makes no sense to me whatsoever.



2) doesn't seem to matter who's in at QB, we have MAJOR second-half issues.


They're not HIS numbers, the PER is a set standard used both in NCAA and NFL football.



So, to answer your questions:



1) Because he wasn't getting better.



2) Yes, yes we do.


You could have replaced all your words with "blah" and added about as much to my original points. thanks.


Sorry, I'll never try to be helpful, clarify, and answer another one of your posts ever again.



Maybe this will help http://tinyurl.com/6jclq5u" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;


That link is the coolest thing I gave seen posted all day.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
S
SpiffCoug
Cougarbib2 wrote:
Yeah - except some duds have lowered the average. 136 probably equates pretty closely to Kevin Feterik, I will guess, but do not know. Spiff will know. I liked Feterik and followed him closely due to having a mutual friend of his father's in So. Cal.



He was good enough to play for the team his dad bought in the CFL.



Kind of Ben Cahoon good, but not quite as good.



Feterik is my minimum acceptable BYU QB.



Covey, Mike and Tom Young, Shoemaker, Berry, Larry Kung's step nephew, and many others fall short, but still had better PER than Jake Heaps.

It feels a little weird to me to say that an average is now the minimum, especially given some of the fantastic performances that have pushed that average up.


[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">[/quote]

Feterik played three years at BYU. Has a career PER of 141.05. His three years were 144.10 (soph) 140.21 (jr) 138.95 (sr).



Not really fair to compare Heaps to Mike or Tom Young, Paul Shoemaker as none of those had 200 attempts or ever really saw significant playing time. But to be fair, Jake was/is better than Engemann. Career PERs:

Covey: 130.11

Berry: 117.15

Heaps: 109.97

Engemann: 107.66
M
Mars


2nd Half > BYU Coaches



Bronco is a seriously overly-conservative dude. Anae and Doman catch the blame for his stupid "play not to lose" game-crafting style.
B
BroncoBot
Mars wrote:


2nd Half > BYU Coaches



Bronco is a seriously overly-conservative dude. Anae and Doman catch the blame for his stupid "play not to lose" game-crafting style.

I think you've got a good point. If anything, I'd like to see Bronco dial up the pressure in the second half. Especially on Defense where BYU has the ability to shut teams down or put them in a hole. Maybe there's more method to his madness than meets the eye.
S
SpiffCoug
Bronco lost his killer instinct in Logan in 2008. We went up 24-0 at the start of the 2nd quarter. Bronco went into run the clock out mode, USU out-scored us 14-10 the rest of the way, the crowd chanted overrated and BYU lost their swagger. They slogged through a poor 21-3 win against UNM the next week and were then embarrassed the week after by TCU. BYU has never recovered from that loss.
This is an archived topic from the original CougarCorner forum. New replies are not accepted.