Archived Topic

Poll: What would you give up to join Big12

by hawkwing · 10/7/2011

Advertisement
G
Guest
A couple of people have posted some thoughts on some issues that may be sticking points in the negotiations for BYU to join the Big12. I've enjoyed these and wanted to pull them together in one thread as a poll. Which ones do you think BYU should give up in order to join the Big12.



The items below are presumably issues BYU is fighting for, so select all of the issues you think BYU should cave on.
M
my-clbg
shouldn't there be an option: I would not give up any of the above?
C
Cougs_Rule
Productive post Hawk. thanks.

Should have limited it to voting only to curtail contention. ;-)

BoT wont give up re-broadcast rights. I wouldnt think Gen Conf either. ANd certainly never Sunday play. But I guess you asked what would individuals be willing to give up.

I would even add Cash considerations to the list, To forfeit some to The Big 12 in exchange for some of our "needs."

We arent in this for $.
B
birdie702
Doman :lol: :lol:
C
CougarClaw
wow. a lot of people okay with Trojan condom ads and Coors Light bikini model billboards in LES.



really?
Advertisement
S
SpiffCoug
CougarClaw wrote:
wow. a lot of people okay with Trojan condom ads and Coors Light bikini model billboards in LES.



really?

I don't recall seeing any of these billboards in other college arenas. And I can't see the Big 12 making us put these up either.



Bottom line, the only real issue to stand completely firm on is Sunday play.
W
Wickchad
Where is the All of The Above option?



What can I get for a rib?
T
True Colors
I am a Baylor fan. If you don't mind, I will put my $.02 in here.



playing on sundays...... IMO, the Big 12 could care less about that



no football during conference...... IMO, the big 12 could care less about that



rebroadcasting rights on BYUtv.... that could be a sticking point



Guaranteed # of games to be nationally televised....... I am not sure that the Big 12 would agree to this type of concession, but the Big 12 has good TV coverage and you would probably be on TV a lot anyway. We just won't guarantee it.



No on field advertising of products that go against the Church...... this might be a problem. Are you trying to ban beer advertisements and things of that nature? If you want to ban these things from your own stadium then that would probably be fine but I doubt the Big 12 is going to let you tell other schools what they can or cannot advertise during games. There is no way that the Big 12 would give you the power to ban beer commercials on TV for non-BYU games or things like that. Example.... if Texas and OU are playing this weekend, then they are not going to allow you to dictate which sponsors can be involved with that game.



Add another western team as a travel partner....... I seriously, seriously, seriously doubt that the Big 12 would want any western team besides BYU



Make the church financials public........ I don't think that we would care about this in the slightest



Require a 12 team conference....... IMO, the Big 12 is not going to let you dictate this to us



All of this is just my opinions, of course.



TC
J
jonnylingo
True Colors wrote:
IMO, the Big 12 is not going to let you dictate this to us



TC


By "Big 12" do you mean Texas and OU? 8) Just kidding. . . kind of.
L
Lawboy
BYU plays games in stadiums with beer or other adds all the time. Ever been to The Pit? I have--for a church regional conference. Was odd meeting there with beer ads visible. Beer ads on TV or opposing stadiums are no issue, only that BYU does not want to put them up at home, which should be no issue at all.
Advertisement
I
Isola
I care about Sunday play in all sports.



I care about conference weekend.



I care about advertising in LES...don't care anywhere else.



I really want rebroadcast rights, even if there is a significant waiting period.



Nationally broadcast games...I don't see why BYU should get this if other schools don't get such a promise.



I don't need a travel partner.



Why would they want to see financials? Even if they did, I wouldn't show.



12 teams...I don't care.
G
Guest
Just to clarify, the issue of advertising is only in regards to ads that would physically be on BYU property. BYU has played in plenty of locations with alcohol ads and plays on ESPN with alcohol ads already.
C
CougarClaw
i'm just saying, I could easily imagine a scenario where the Big-12 sells sponsorship rights to someone that includes some sort of physical media in the stadium. Under such an agreement, I could forsee it getting tricky.



Nothing about where we play, or what's advertised on TV. We've already accepted that part of Babylon so it's not big deal now.
T
True Colors
CougarClaw, I have been following Big 12 athletics since the beginning(15 years ago), and I do not remember any instance where the league ever asked any member school to post certain types of advertising in their athletic facilities. If BYU wants the Big 12 to put it in writing that you will retain control of your own local advertising then I am confident that the Big 12 would be fine doing that for you.



Regarding the school finances....... most of the Big 12 schools do publish information about their budgets. However, they are almost all state schools, so therefore, they are sort of required to give out that information. I attended the one private school in the league(Baylor) and there have been plenty of times that we refused to give out financial information based on the fact that we are private and we don't have to. It's not a problem and nobody has ever cared in the slightest.



I could be wrong, but it seems like most of the issues in the initial poll here are workable except for maybe the rebroadcast matter. The Big 12 might be okay with it but you have to consider that the TV officials(ESPN, Fox, Versus, etc) all have a say too and perhaps they are the ones who are refusing to concede this point.



And regarding the national TV broadcasts...... it is my understanding that the Big 12 gives the TV rights to the TV people and then they decide which games are going to be national and which ones are going to be regional.



I think that the Big 12 would agree to commit to BYU in writing to some of these issues but not everything



no sunday play - fine

no play for BYU during conference - fine

rebroadcasting rights for BYUtv - this might be the problem that is holding everything up

guaranteed # of national games -- no guarantee(but BYU really doesn't need one)

control of advertising in local Provo based facilities - fine

add another western team -- no, not fine, the Big 12 will not agree to this

privacy of church financials -- fine

guarantee 12 members in conference - no, not fine, the Big 12 will never commit to this



TC
S
stuckinbig10country
Sunday play is the only sticking point for me.



BYU used to play on conference Saturday at times. I think it was kind of a convenience that the MWC allowed, and we had a willing partner in USU. I think this could be mitigated, but I don't think the Big 12 should have to guarantee this. Most years that could be BYU's bye week.



The Big 12 already has the best rebroadcast rights package of any conference. Immediate on ESPN, 72 hours on Fox Regional, and immediate on tier 3. I could see an agreement like we have for the Oregon State game that gives immediate to KBYU and 72 hour delay for BYU TV.



Win games, be on TV. If BYU doesn't start winning on this contract, I won't be able to watch them because the games will be on ESPN3, which I can't get access to.



Travel partner is not necessary.



The financials of the AD should be available to the business partners, but not for the whole church.



If the 12 members is for stability, the 6 year grant of rights is more than enough to guarantee stability.
Advertisement
C
Cougarbib
4th born child for tweeting me that BYU and BSU were going Big 12 without providing a source



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
D
dsmith1212
Where is the option: I would rather stay independent?



That is my vote.
This is an archived topic from the original CougarCorner forum. New replies are not accepted.