Archived Topic

For the skeptics and morbidly depressed

by craigoscarson · 10/6/2011

Advertisement
C
craigoscarson
I've seen half a dozen supposed intellectuals (maybe the same ones that think that Riley Nelson can make all the throws) claiming that no one on these chat boards have any real sources or real info. While I don't think it's neccessary to reveal my sources, I'll say this. My grandmother raised Merrill Bateman and my grandfather worked in Lavells football office and was on dozens of athletic boards in the 1970s - 80s. Anyone that thinks that BYU officials are unclenchingly tight lipped are wrong (particularly with family members). I would not be surprised if the writers in Utah that matter knew this for some time too , however journalists normally won't comment on off the record, golf course type of material (unless it's Franchuk messing with Brandon Davies...though let's not confuse him with a journalist that matters), particularly because BYUs response is an unknown thus far.



I have never known what BYU will decide, but I am 100% sure that BYU was offerred inclusion to The Big 12 over a month ago.



On another note; officials from Kansas State are now on the job for the Big 12's expansion committee and they unequivocably want the Big 12 to go back to 12 (as does the most important person in KState sports history, Bill Snyder who has been outspoken about getting back to 12); as they believe that will stabilize the conference and protect it in the future; if others do leave there will be remnants, while a 10 team league offers just the opposite. This press conference was held a couple of hours ago and those officials were interviewed at length on 810 sports radio in kansas city (my hometown)



Not a lot of people here are losing sleep about Missouri, except some pissed off Jayhawk fans. MU leaving actually makes going to 12 more palatable as the Big 12 wants to send a statement (and get back to 12 for a rich title game in Dallas). My belief is that BYU is in regardless IF THEY WANT IT. That's a big if, but I am completely confident in the fact that the ball is in BYUs court. I don't know what the Big 12 requires of BYU. I don't know if they don't care for BYUTV, etc. etc. etc. but i do know that BYU has an invitation.



I have no idea what will happen, but I know that BYU has (or had if things have changed in the last few weeks) an invitation.



I fully expect that BYU is still in the discussion unless BYU has pulled themselves from it. (entirely possible) and have no reason to believe that TCUs inclusion has any negative bearing on BYUs inclusion.



Missouri is as good as gone (their boosters have SEC on the brain and the teams that did not vote for MU on the 1st vote are just posturing for something) and that leaves 4 teams to get to 12. TCU has filled one spot. BYU, Louisville, and West Virginia are the other 3.
G
Gunk
Wait...are you saying Riley can't make all the throws? Because... (TIC)



I'm just not getting worked up about it. Should BYU move to the Big 12, great. Should it stay in independent, great. I have a feeling we won't officially know until either BYU announces it has signed a deal or the deadlines come and go without anything from BYU. In the mean time, I'm more concerned with the length of Riley's hair whether him getting it cut will affect his performance on the field.
C
CougarClaw
I am worked up over it. I didn't realize I wanted this until I read on CB that TCU got the invite and more and more people were talking about us turning them down.



echo chamber? perhaps; but it would take a simple statement by BYU to eliminate all conjecture. BYU says we're Indy and in the WCC! when we all know they've been approached by the Big 12. Turn them down if you must, but say something. The silence is deafening.
C
craigoscarson
This is one of the downsides to being the good guy. BYU routinely says as little as possible until the time is appropriate and others (like Texas) use journalists and bloggers to act as their Iraqi minister of information.



Every conference should want a BYU, that won't use the media to throw others under the bus. The downside, is that it oftens works when you do. Oklahoma got what they wanted when they created the farce that was Pac-10 interest, Texas plays games with everyone and Missouri has done their fair share recently (though Missouri has had it blow up in their faces more times than not... ie Big 10 inclusion last year, Frank Haith hiring and the Nevin Shapiro business, etc.) If Missouri hadn't invented Big 10 interest in them last year, there's a chance that Nebraska would still be Big 12. The moment Nebraska sniffed that the Big 10 would even consider Missouri, it was a done deal for the better program to go.
C
Cougs_Rule
I'm buying this most reliable, non-offically stated info (not to be confused with rumor).

Thanks Craig.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
Advertisement
C
Cougarbib
BYU requires quite a few concessions from an athletic conference - maybe we should have valued them more when The WAC and MWC granted them. Now we want concessions re TV that even the MWC turned down and that the PAC refused twice to give Texas.



And everyone assumes that it should be simple. Keeping in mind how many Churches do not like Mormons and that BYU has to be voted in by 9 schools - something as strange as Missouri saying over my dead body - could derail it.



Patience folks. The world does not revolve around Provo. Maybe we get a fun and competitive game again Saturday and watch our team grow up.



I really wanted PAC several times over the years but at the same knew that unless we play much better, we would at best be Arizona or Oregon State. At Best. I want Big 12 with same concerns of us being at best Kansas or T Tech. Or worse.



Maybe we just need to focus on beating the teams on our schedule now. Winning game creates a ride that will lift all boats.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
M
Mars


Could be Louisville, Cincy, West Virginia. They want another school for 2012 though.
S
snoscythe
Sorry to doubt you Craig, but is the same source you relied on about a week ago when you were gloating all over Facebook that BYU to the Big XII was a done deal and we were just waiting on the official announcement?



I have to say that your credibility, despite all of your buttressing in the OP, isn't exactly top-notch right now.
C
Cougarbib
Missouri does not have the SEC votes yet. If SEC grabs an ACC team instead, that unidentified source comment about Missouri preferring Big 10, will go down as one of the stupidest things ever uttered at the worst possible time.



Maybe an unidentified BYU official ought to post that Cougarbib and the administration really preferred PAC, which I do for proximity and stability reasons and because I think we might compete better there, and see if that helps overcome whatever is hanging Big 12 up - which has to be BYU TV and ESPBn deal at this point.



Stupid.



Too bad PAC doesn't go after BYU and BSU - it might mess with their arrogance for a bit, but once they got over that, it would be great for football in the PAC.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
C
craigoscarson
snoscythe wrote:
Sorry to doubt you Craig, but is the same source you relied on about a week ago when you were gloating all over Facebook that BYU to the Big XII was a done deal and we were just waiting on the official announcement?



I have to say that your credibility, despite all of your buttressing in the OP, isn't exactly top-notch right now.


Here's the problem. Information one day does not = the truth the next. I know BYU had an invite and I made a personal reach (yep, I reached on facebook... go figure) that we were a done deal based on the info I had. I am not privy to what the Big 12 wanted from BYU and vice versa. Obviously something has put a wrench in the process.



How many times during this process was BYU or the Big 12 a step away from making it official? And if they had? I'm lucky? And if they don't? I'm a full of @#%^ schmuck? Just can't win can I?



But what bothers me is people that throw the blanket, "you were full of it the entire time" statements when that isn't the case at all. Situations change, but that doesn't preclude people from getting some inside info, it might just mean that they don't have all of it.



It's not like this hasn't been a fluid situation and a bumpy ride, but some people seem like they'd rather not hear any info if it means they'll be disapointed when the scenario changes. You're welcome to fly back to your lofty perch now Snos. (I'm not worthy) ;)



I took enough flack when Richard Wilson told me about the Manti Teo recruiting incident a few years back. It seems like it's almost better not to share info unless you're a bonafide witness because there will always be the so called intellectuals that will turn on you for it.
Advertisement
S
snoscythe
craigoscarson wrote:
Sorry to doubt you Craig, but is the same source you relied on about a week ago when you were gloating all over Facebook that BYU to the Big XII was a done deal and we were just waiting on the official announcement?



I have to say that your credibility, despite all of your buttressing in the OP, isn't exactly top-notch right now.


Here's the problem. Information one day does not = the truth the next. I know BYU had an invite and I made a personal reach (yep, I reached on facebook... go figure) that we were a done deal based on the info I had. I am not privy to what the Big 12 wanted from BYU and vice versa. Obviously something has put a wrench in the process.



How many times during this process was BYU or the Big 12 a step away from making it official? And if they had? I'm lucky? And if they don't? I'm a full of @#%^ schmuck? Just can't win can I?



But what bothers me is people that throw the blanket, "you were full of it the entire time" statements when that isn't the case at all. Situations change, but that doesn't preclude people from getting some inside info, it might just mean that they don't have all of it.



It's not like this hasn't been a fluid situation and a bumpy ride, but some people seem like they'd rather not hear any info if it means they'll be disapointed when the scenario changes. You're welcome to fly back to your lofty perch now Snos. (I'm not worthy) ;)



I took enough flack when Richard Wilson told me about the Manti Teo recruiting incident a few years back. It seems like it's almost better not to share info unless you're a bonafide witness because there will always be the so called intellectuals that will turn on you for it.


Go ahead and try and turn it on me, but you have no one but yourself to blame for that tarnished credibility. If you have an inside source like you claim, and if you had just stuck with what they allegedly told you ("BYU has an official invite!"), you'd be in an okay spot. But you made the choice to make that reach Craig---you chose to make a guess and try to scoop the world by announcing it was a done deal.



You could have "won"--you could have stuck with what you actually knew. You have no one but yourself to blame for the fact that you got cute with what little information you thought you had and you decided to lie to the world on the gamble that your guess would turn out to be true.



This has nothing to do with intellect or lofty perches---it has to do with basic honesty, and you lit the match that burned you all by yourself.
J
jonnylingo
craigoscarson wrote:



How many times during this process was BYU or the Big 12 a step away from making it official? And if they had? I'm lucky? And if they don't? I'm a full of @#%^ schmuck? Just can't win can I?



But what bothers me is people that throw the blanket, "you were full of it the entire time" statements when that isn't the case at all. Situations change, but that doesn't preclude people from getting some inside info, it might just mean that they don't have all of it.



.


exactly. just because it didn't happen doesn't mean it was about to. Things are very fluid.



My opinion is that i have no opinion at this point. I see facts that point to no invite and facts that point to invite. I have no way of knowing. one thing that has been bugging me was why byu announced a 12 year deal with bsu last week if they were quite certain they would be going to big12? I am so tired of it all.
C
craigoscarson
You have mistaken my enthusiasm for bravado. My own wife pays less attention to what I blab on Facebook. I knew we had an invite and a general timeline. Things change, that's life. The implication that I was trying to "scoop" anything is presumptuous and assanine. I'm not chip brown, I'm a wishful fan with a little info. And you're right, this isn't about being intellectual at all, not one bit. That was my point.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
1
1967cougar
Craig, Sno. . .I wish you two would quit fighting. I like you both.



This is a time we all need to be unified. Frustrated, yes. But definitely unified in our support for the Cougs, be they Big XII members or FCS members. I'd just hate to be poor espn700shep. That dude is taking some heat!
W
Wickchad
1967cougar wrote:
I'd just hate to be poor espn700shep. That dude is taking some heat!


He just needs to say that his twitter account was hacked...
Advertisement
J
jonnylingo
New piece of information I have heard was they big12 moved on tcu because the sec was seriously considering them in order to cement its connection with texas, dallas fort worth area. sec teams coming in there and college sstation every week would surely be effective for recruiting. was preemptive strike sort of speak. that and they are one of two teams taht can slip right in next year which they need.



this makes sense and it may be what 'changed' to make alot of those reports about byu about to announce mistaken.



the point is. its changes by the minute.
L
Lawboy
What Sno fails to acknowledge here is that having an invite is different from accepting the invite. All Craig said is that BYU had the invite, which is what I have heard from multiple sources. Many of us--myself included--assumed BYU would be crazy to not accept, so assumed it was a done deal. Yet BYU has yet to accept and is still making demands prior to accepting, which is the hold up. And perhaps BYU never will accept. Bu that does not change the fact that the invite has been extended.



With Mizzou now leaving, lets hope BYU pulls it together, and can close the deal to become team 10.
S
snoscythe
Lawboy wrote:
What Sno fails to acknowledge here is that having an invite is different from accepting the invite. All Craig said is that BYU had the invite, which is what I have heard from multiple sources.


No. He said it was a "done deal." He's even admitted in this thread that he "made a reach." It's one thing to guess, it's another thing to put your guess out there as fact from an "insider."



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
G
Guest
What people ASSUMED was that BYU had an invite with all the stipulations that were necessary for the Church to accept it. We have no idea if that is or was true, because no one on the internet knows what the terms of the invitation were/are. So, once again we see what comes from ass-u-m(e)-ing leads to.
L
Lawboy
hawkwing wrote:
What people ASSUMED was that BYU had an invite with all the stipulations that were necessary for the Church to accept it. We have no idea if that is or was true, because no one on the internet knows what the terms of the invitation were/are. So, once again we see what comes from ass-u-m(e)-ing leads to.


Umm, BYU has an invite, and BYU is requiring the stipulations for acceptance. Big XII did not require stipulations be agreed to prior to extending offer. BYU can no longer say they have never been extended an offer to a BCS league. they could say terms of acceptance were not agreed upon. And really, other than Sunday play, the rest are wants. Sunday play is a need.
Page 1 of 2
This is an archived topic from the original CougarCorner forum. New replies are not accepted.